Antony Worrall Thompson Saucepan Set

Antony Worrall Thompson Saucepan Set

Pots & Pans - Saucepan

Review of "Antony Worrall Thompson Saucepan Set"

published 18/01/2014 | Listerbelle
Member since : 25/07/2013
Life is busy albeit a little dull. And lacking in sleep. I have the beginnings of a blog. www.moneymaman.com
Pro Sturdy handle, well made, cooks evenly
Cons None

"Saucy! Sensational saucepan set"

Two of the three fabulous saucepans

Two of the three fabulous saucepans

~+~ How I came to own this item ~+~

Along with many of my colleagues, my current position within the NHS requires me to relocate to a new workplace every 6-24 months. This means that every so often I am a recipient or a donor of unwanted items.

I was fortunate enough to receive two of the three saucepans from this Antony Worrall Thompson set from a colleague who was relocating abroad with hand luggage only - lucky me!

I'd never previously cooked with these saucepans although I had previously seen her use them several times a week for six months.

~+~ The Antony Worrall Thompson Saucepan Set ~+~

This set usually comprises three different sized 18/10 stainless steel saucepans, each with a matching tempered glass lid as well as a milk pan, a frying pan and a steamer.

The saucepans have marks on the inside to assist in measuring liquid. The small pan in my photo has indicators for 500ml and 1 litre, the larger indicates measurement up to 2 litres in 500ml gradients. They are suitable for all kinds of stoves: gas, electric and induction.

Each lid has a small vent to let steam out.

~+~ My Experience and Thoughts ~+~

I have used many different makes and types of cooking ware over the nearly three decades of my adult life. I am not at all persuaded by brands, but am by others' and my own experiences. That stated, I am by no means an expert when it comes to assessing these items. I can only describe this as it is in my experience....

I use both of these Antony Worrall Thompson saucepans irregularly on an electric stove and usually to boil potatoes, cook pasta, to make sauces such as Bechamel or bread sauce, and to make packet-mix custard.

I really like that you can measure or accurately guess the water measurements in these pots via the inside markings. In use, find that the saucepan bases seem to heat up quite quickly and that the heat is even distributed. The handle is never hot to touch. The glass lids form a good seal. Both the saucepans and the lids have all maintained their shape well. I am very happy with the stove-top performance of these pots.

When it comes to cleaning, I prefer to wash these by hand. I will often fill the saucepan with hot soapy water and leave it to soak on the stove prior to cleaning it, depending on what culinary creations or disasters have been cooked.

As I prepared these saucepans for their photoshoot, I realised that they could probably do with a touch of my (expensive) metal cleaning paste that I keep in our family home. However I think that they still scrub up quite well despite the lack of using such an item.

~+~ Recommendation (or not), pricing and availability ~+~

It is probably no surprise that I definitely recommend these saucepans. I wish I had the other items with this set. The entire set is currently available used on Ebay. My friend bought hers from Argos for around £110.

• Mildew82 published 20/01/2014
    They sound a brilliant design - great review!
  • mumsymary published 20/01/2014