Apartment Peppino, Dubrovnik

Apartment Peppino, Dubrovnik

Review of "Apartment Peppino, Dubrovnik"

published 31/05/2014 | koshkha
Member since : 26/12/2005
Seems it takes a lot to get many reads these days so be assured that all are appreciated.
Pro Great location, close to all you need and with all we needed
Cons You have to be able to cope with the steps
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Apartment Peppino Ticked All Our Boxes"

Sister and GF in the street outside. Cute (the location, not my sister)

Sister and GF in the street outside. Cute (the location, not my sister)

A Family Break

For the past few years my husband and I have taken a spring holiday with my sister and her partner. The first time we went to Marrakech, then Istanbul and last year Lisbon. Usually we just go for 4 days but this year we decided we could cope with a whole week without wanting to kill each other. I was given the task – as usual – of coming up with the destination, booking all the flights and finding the hotel. My sister’s task is to turn up, drink lots of wine and have a good time. All previous trips had been to places that I already knew but this year I wanted to go somewhere different, somewhere where I wouldn’t be the unofficial tour guide. I picked Dubrovnik and everyone was happy with the choice.

I started the accommodation hunt quite early and was soon shocked by just how expensive Dubrovnik was. Generally when we only go for a few days, the hotel costs aren’t too important but with a seven night stay, I had a bit more of a challenge. I did my research on where to stay, found a nice apartment, then lost it as soon as my sister had given the thumbs up. I started again, and decided that we might well only go there once so I wanted to be right in the heart of things – within the city walls of Dubrovnik. I definitely think it was the right decision and I’d advise anyone – other than those with mobility issues – to consider doing the same.

Most of the tourist hotel availability seem to be in Lapad, a 10-15 minute bus ride from the city. For our budget of around £60 a night, we could just about fina a place with a pool and a nice room but we’d be too far from the action and probably the water would be cold anyway. I looked at apartments outside the city but nothing took my fancy. I was worried to find a place where we’d have nothing to do nearby and nowhere to eat out.

I forget exactly how I found it, but I think Apartments Peppino was one of the places I turned up on Hotels.com, my favourite hotel booking site. The few reviews on Tripadvisor were all either positive or were negative about things that didn’t matter to me so I felt pretty secure making this choice. I made a booking for two studio apartments for seven nights and gave my credit card to guarantee the booking. Sadly, it wasn’t possible to pay in advance by credit card and when I checked with the owner – the lovely Tonka Bura – she confirmed we could pay in Euros or local Kuna but it would need to be in cash. For this reason, it’s likely that due to Forex charges when taking money from the banks, you’ll probably find you end up paying a little more than indicated on the booking sites.

Before we left

Shortly after making the booking, I had a mail from Tonka thanking us for the booking and sending us info about how to find the apartment. She also asked for our arrival info and told us to take the airport shuttle bus to Pile Gate. We would be arriving before her regular check-in time but she confirmed we could take our bags and drop them at the apartments and return later. I felt very confident that everything was going to run smoothly and that any questions I had would be quickly answered.

Getting There

The shuttle bus from the airport costs 35 kuna (about £4) per person and takes around 20-30 minutes to get to the city. Along the way the views of the Adriatic coast were beautiful and when we caught our first glimpse of Dubrovnik, we were all impressed. The bus dropped us by the Pile Gate and we headed straight into the chaos of a Sunday morning in Dubrovnik. Lots of cruise boats must have been in the harbour because the authorities had set up their people-control barriers to try to manage the human traffic. Once inside the walls, the main street was heaving with people. I really did wonder what on earth we’d got ourselves into.

The instructions from Tonka were really simple. Through the gate and take the third turning on the left called Palmoticeva. All the side streets look very similar but I have to be honest that after a week I still couldn’t identify ours without double-checking the name. As we turned left we were suddenly hit by what was ahead of us – a massive flight of stone steps. I had read beforehand that there are a lot of steps but I hadn’t really expected quite what that meant. Someone more prone to obsessive compulsive behaviour than me, posted on Tripadvisor that there were 80 steps to the apartment but it felt more like 800. This is something to seriously consider if you want to go to Dubrovnik – it’s NOT a city for those who can only deal with flat streets and gentle inclines. After the 80 steps to Peppino, there are about another 80 to the top of the street and believe me, we went up and down them all many times.

Arrival

When we rang the doorbell, Tonka arrived. She was in the process of cleaning and preparing our rooms. Peppino has only three apartments and we were to have the ones on the top and middle floor. I’d spoken to my husband before we went and we’d agreed that if one of the apartments was better – especially if one of them had a view – we’d give it to my sister and her girlfriend. Tonka told us that the middle floor apartment was ready but the other would be an hour or two so we volunteered to take the one that was available as we’d been up since 4 am and all I really wanted to do was to sleep. The girls went off to look for lunch and we took a snooze and by the time they came back, the other apartment was ready.

Our apartment was about the size of a good hotel room – nothing squeezed too tight, but equally not a ton of space. I liked the wooden flooring and the shutters on the windows which were good for night-time blackout. The windows were double glazed and effectively shut out most of the noise from the streets outside.

The bed was easily a king size and came with a warm duvet and a thick fleecy blanket. Both sides of the bed had a generously sized bedside unit. I really like a bit of bedside space so I found this very handy. There was a small table with two chairs which was perfect for our breakfast time and a large wardrobe in the corner. There was a rather funky looking television that we turned on only once – to see the Eurovision Song Contest results – and a full-sized fridge. On the opposite side of the room to the fridge, and as illogically placed as possible, was a small kitchenette with a two-ring electric hob, a kettle, sink and various kitchen supplies. The bathroom was quite large with a square shower cubicle, toilet and sink, and a handy storage unit. There were plenty of soft, white, fluffy towels. The only downside to the bathroom was that there was no extractor system and smells did tend to ‘linger’ which wasn’t perfect. For colder days there's a small oil-filled radiator but for hotter times of year, there's an air conditioning unit.

The top floor apartment is larger because a lot of the floor space on the middle floor apartment gets taken up with staircases. This has a high, vaulted ceiling and the kitchen area is larger. The view across the rooftops was very pretty and I was a little jealous. On the downside, the top apartment has a really tiny bathroom, at least that was my sister’s excuse for using ours whenever she dropped by. They also had a sofa in their apartment as well as the table and chairs. If you can get the top floor, I’d definitely recommend it but I liked our apartment too although I wouldn’t have wanted the one on the ground floor.

Is Peppino for you?

This is not a hotel, it’s a privately owned apartment and you should not expect hotel-style service. If you are the sort of person who can’t deal with fixing their own breakfast on holiday, then book a hotel. Equally if you can’t survive without daily housekeeping, give it a miss. Towels were changed every two days but other than that, there’s not much cleaning and servicing. I would have preferred to get new sheets – or someone who’s better than me at making beds to tidy it up now and then – but that’s not available.

The wi-fi is excellent and whenever we needed anything – a light bulb had blown for example – a quick email to Tonka meant all was fixed the next day. I like having access to a fridge and being able to prepare my own food, BUT (and it’s a big but) the noise of a fridge turning itself on and off all night long drove me half-crazy. My husband didn’t hear a thing but the combination of snoring and a grumbling fridge wasn’t my idea of fun. Everything else though was just about perfect.

I loved being right in the heart of the city. We were a very short walk from scores of hotels and could be in the main street in two minutes of hopping down the stairs. Remarkably despite this proximity, it was wonderfully quiet and peaceful. Yes, the occasional group of tourists moaning about the stairs would grumble as they passed, and there was a particularly gorgeous colour point Burmese cat a few doors up the street who had a lot to say for himself but totally charmed us. Seagulls screeching overhead sometimes made a bit of a racket but we heard nothing from the main street as the thousands of cruise ship tourists trotted past.

What we paid

I suspect the rates are higher in high season but for the first week of May, we paid 890 Euros for the two rooms for 7 nights which worked out at about £55 per room per night. If I went back to Dubrovnik, I’d do exactly the same thing again and either go back to Peppino or another private apartment like it. It was absolutely perfect for our needs and for how we like to have our holidays. I recommend it very highly but not for people who can't deal with a lot of steps or who are really picky about having their accommodation cleaned every day.

• Gingerkitty published 07/06/2014
    Great review and nice of you to give up the best apartment after it was you who did all the organising!
  • Wee_Jackie_163 published 02/06/2014