Apple MacBook Air

Review of "Apple MacBook Air"

published 31/05/2014 | EurekasLaw
Member since : 21/04/2014
Pro Fast, tough build, small and compact
Cons keyboard backlight is now not completely consistent across.
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"11 inch Firecracker - The MacBook Air"

Introduction

There area huge number of reviews on this product on Ciao and on a number of other review websites. In November by wife and I both bought one of these. Our purchases were of the 11 inch version with 256gb of storage. We bought these in the Apple store in Belfast and found the service absolutely fantastic. We also were able to both avail of university discount which brought the price down by 11%.

We both have had Apple computers for some time, having purchased the white cased MacBook. Our move to MacBook was from the backdrop of both being mad gadget nerds who enjoyed the exercise of fiddling with our system to get the extra out of it that we needed. I suppose in the past I sort of found the idea of an operating system that you switched on and it just worked as cheating.

The move to Apple Mac is one of the simplest you can make, the equipment has that Italian style of product, despite its Californian heritage.

Our Purchases

We had chatted some time about the upgrade to a MacBook Air and had delayed for many months. Our big issue was that we both had MacBook's (white plastic cased) and these were working just great. These were 5 and 6 years of age, and if they were PC based note books they just would not have lasted working that long. We both still have out MacBooks and use these now as media products.

The visit to the Apple Store is always good and normally always expensive. The MacBook Air is expensive there is no question. However our previous experience is that you get a product that does not date and lasts, and so the price may end up cheaper in the long run.

We did get our discount, and we were also able to get it on interest free credit if we had wanted to. Apple store, though not being reviewed, another 5 out of 5.Its clear that Apple is a customer focused company.

My Experience and Opinion

Size
I was very orientated t the 11 inch version due to its very compactness. We set both 11 inch and 13 inch version beside each other in the Apple store and could see little real difference other than the size. Compactness was very important for the both of us., and 11 inch just hit the sweet spot in this respect. The MacBook Air is also very light despot its laser cut metal case. The product is probably the most robust computer I have ever come across. I suppose the main concern I had with its size was that it might be too small to be easy to use. Well i am nearly 8 months into this purchase and have found it to be just perfect in size. My wife also finds the size excellent, she is able to pop it into one of her bigger handbags when she is travelling into college and does not want to carry back packs with her. On size we both rate it as a 5 out of 5 product.

Speed
The MacBook Air is a solid state system, which means that it has no mechanical memory system on board, but rather it uses a chip set to store. This gives an incredibly fast store and retrieve system for the computer. The computer has a 1.3GHZ Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz), but the boost system combined with the sold state storage gives a much faster feel, and it feels like your using a 3Ghz+ system. The computer comes with 4GB 1600 Mhz RAM memory for processing.

The computer has that real fast feel to it. When you switch it on, you get an almost instant set up into the system, none of those long hangs whilst the system loads in the stay resident programs that have got placed into your startup tray.

Recently we used Camtasia to produce a video for my wife's course, and converted it into several formats. I have done this before on PC based based systems running with much faster processors with loads of memory. The MacBook Air just blew me away with the speed it compiled versions. It well out performed my previous PC experiences. In terms of speed for a notebook I would give it another 5 out of 5 score.

Display
The MacBook Air uses a Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB. The display powers out at 11-inch (1366 x 768). The display is super crisp in what it powers out. Its like having at 1080p HD television.

The screen provides super fast and crisp rendition of whatever you are watching at the time. Using the word processor is much easier on the eye and watching a film on the computer is fantastic. Small critic is that webpages are almost over defined and the pages come in very fine with sometimes hard to read text. Quick fix if its and issue is to zoom the page.

Battery
This is one of the biggest plus points of the MacBook Air. Firstly the battery just lasts so very long. The website says the battery will last for 9 hours, and I am always sceptical of such claims. With the MacBook Air I have found that we get super long usage. I turn the screen brightness down a little and this substantially increases the length of time that we get from the battery charge.

The recharge process is scary fast. Some devices I have had in the past can take hours to recharge. The MacBook Air can give you a recharge in under an hour sometimes. You just check and it appears to right back at 100%. Again I would give it a 5 out of 5 rating.

Design
As I said you feel as if your using an italian designed sports car. The design is simply sleek and extremely elegant. It is in a brushed metal style case.

Height: 0.3-1.7 cm (0.11-0.68 inches)
Width: 30 cm (11.8 inches )
Depth: 19.2 cm (7.56 inches)
Weight: 1.08 kg (2.38 pounds)

The case can give off an electrical earth vibration that I find a little unsettling. We have spoke to Apple about thais and they inform us that it is both safe and Normal.

Overall

This is as I have said a real we firecracker of a machine. It is fast and sexy and everyone comments on how cool it looks. The size is fabulous and extremely useful. The larger 13 inch system reputedly has better graphics and longer batter. If you need that then move up to it. For us its the 11 inch system all the way.

Unequivocally I give this an overall 5 out of 5 and would recommend to everyone

=============
== 2 years on Update ==
===================

Hi folks, I originally wrote this review 2 years ago when I bought the MacBook Air. At the time I thought it was great, really good. I now think it is absolutely brilliant. It is without doubt the best IT purchase I have ever made.

Key positive aspects:-

Power - its small yes but it packs a punch power wise, and have yet to set it a task it does not achieve. It does get a little stressed playing Sims 4 though

Robust - All metal casing in the way to go, not a dent, not a score, its in perfect conditions, just like new !!

Size - the small size is just perfect, take it anywhere, easy to pop in a carry on case for plane. when on bus or train there is no big issue on the table or knee. Its not too big to another others and yet it has enough to provide what you need to do either on business or media.

Value for money - this wee power beast has years ahead of it. I thought expensive at time for what I was buying, but it is still as powerful and quick today as it was when bought. No lag, except Sims 4

Downside:-

Keyboard - this is being a little picky, the keyboard backlight is now not completely consistent across. But only a little, and I am being picky to be honest.

If I could rate it over all now 2 years on, it would be 100%, the proverbial 11 out of 10 if that was possible. My advice unless you need touch screen or a beast of power, this is the best notebook you can buy, even if a little more expensive..

• DanniiJ18 published 21/05/2017
    VH Review
  • raspberry_ripple published 24/03/2017
    Good stuff =)
  • rolandrat123 published 07/01/2017
    vh

Product Information : Apple MacBook Air

MacBook Air is ultrathin, ultraportable, and ultra unlike anything else. But you don't lose inches and pounds overnight. It's the result of rethinking conventions. Of multiple wireless innovations. And of breakthrough design. With MacBook Air, mobile computing suddenly has a new standard. MacBook Air is nearly as thin as your index finger. Practically every detail that could be streamlined has been. Yet it still has a widescreen LED display, full-size keyboard, and large multi-touch trackpad. It's incomparably portable without the usual ultraportable screen and keyboard compromises. The incredible thinness of MacBook Air is the result of numerous size- and weight-shaving innovations. From a slimmer hard drive to strategically hidden I/O ports to a lower-profile battery, everything has been considered and reconsidered with thinness in mind. MacBook Air performance is as impressive as its form, thanks to its Intel Core 2 Duo processor. This chip was custom-built to fit within the compact dimensions of MacBook Air.

Product Description: Apple MacBook Air - 13.3" - Core 2 Duo - MacOS X 10.5 - 2 GB RAM - 80 GB HDD

Product Type: Notebook

Cache: L2 - 4 MB

64-bit Computing: Yes

Front Side Bus: 800 MHz

Memory

RAM: 2 GB ( provided memory is soldered )

Max RAM Supported: 2 GB

Technology: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz / PC2-5300

Storage

Main Storage: 80 GB HDD / 4200 rpm

Display

Type: 13.3"

LCD Backlight Technology: LED backlight

Resolution: 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Widescreen: Yes

Technology: Lithium polymer

Capacity: 37 Wh

Run Time: Up to 5 hours

AC Adapter

Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Connections & Expansion

Interfaces: USB 2.0 ¦ Headphone output ¦ Micro-DVI

Software

Software Included: Drivers & Utilities, Apple QuickTime, Apple Mac OS X Mail, Apple iChat, Apple iCal, Apple DVD Player, Apple Address Book, Apple Safari, Apple Dashboard, Apple Spotlight, Apple XCode Developer Tools, Front Row, Photo Booth, Apple iLife '08, Apple Spaces, Apple Quick Look, Apple Time Machine, Apple Boot Camp

Miscellaneous

EPEAT Compliant: EPEAT Silver

ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 1 year warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 1 year ¦ Technical support - phone consulting - 90 days

Environmental Parameters