Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Magic Mouse

Review of "Apple Magic Mouse"

published 29/04/2012 | Nar2
Member since : 26/05/2011
Ty for all r/r/c's, kind words & E's where applicable & Ty for my Diamond. Finally got to Gold.
Pro Smooth, curvaceous, multi functional pad with no buttons. Classy and unique looking!
Cons Pricey, not as "smooth" in all operations, not rechargeable, could be smaller & lighter.
Responsiveness
Robustness & durability
Look & feel
Range of extra features / functions

"There's a Mad Mac Moose Aboot This Hoose!"

When I first bought my Apple Mac I wasn't that taken with many of the "after purchase," accessories I could buy to make my new acquisition easier on the eye. For those who love to colour coordinate, an Apple Mac computer is essential and being one of very few companies who were first to label everything with their well known Apple icon. It's a wonder that Apple haven't gone out of business with their abilities for buyers to custom build exactly what they want not what the computer bean counters and marketing department "think" you should have based on your budget. Whilst companies such as Lexar or Logic have brought out peripherals that can blend in with your Apple system, some buyers prefer the genuine Apple products and as such it can be expensive just to buy into the name. I'm not that kind of buyer though. Since the purchase of my Macbook in late 2008 my mind from 15 years of text-book PC use has completely changed with the simplicity and ease of use with an Apple system. The whole Apple affair hasn't affected me in terms of purchasing other brands' peripherals however as I do find Apple branded products fairly expensive compared to other brands at the time and it isn't important for me to have the latest to look the greatest!

Nar2's Quick Skip Product Spec

• Product: Apple Magic Mouse MB829ZA.
  • Price in 2010 £55-00 from John Lewis & 1 year guarantee.
  • Price in 2012 £42-59 from Amazon.co.uk, £59 from John Lewis.
  • Multi-touch pad mouse with all in one touch sensitive surface.
  • Bluetooth wireless, requires two AA batteries, plug&play installation.
  • 106grams, 10cm length by 6cm diameter, 1cm width.
  • Operating system requirement: Apple Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 or higher.
  • 2.0 Hard drive interface.

Design & Quality

However where practicality is concerned the latest mouse from Apple under the "Magic," tag comes in the form of yet another smooth white pebble type mouse. It has the same grayish silver Apple icon on the base of it's smooth multifunctional top surface and on the underside rather like a clam, sports a silver painted base with a slide out battery cover (for 2 AA batteries) and very discreet features such as a slider (complete with view window) on control and a matching pin prick LED that lights up in green. For all that the new Magic mouse is quite virtually new, it is a pity that Apple haven't gone to the trouble of producing a built in light like previous Apple Pro mice in the past - it would certainly prove to be a match for current Pro Mac books that have a pre-lit keyboard. Although it looks like a pebble from a distance thanks to it's past brothers and sisters, the "Magic Mouse," is void of oval shapes even though it's soap dish presentation box complete with inner tray looks like the mouse should be oval and not rectangular with curved sides.

Disaster did however strike last year when someone accidentally dropped my Magic mouse after inspecting it and this resulted in the panel on top being difficult to activate. However, upon inspecting the damage myself, the right hand functions can still be activated, but need a little heavier weight from my fingers. I'm glad in a way that it was dropped, because it seemed to give the mouse a bit more of a break-in period rather than continually left on my desk. It also seems to have given the mouse a more effective all round performance - though I don't personally suggest you do that to yours!

General Performance

Where function is concerned Apple would like to think they have produced the ultimate mouse for complete smooth operation and in many ways they have succeeded. Fast and precise to click here and there, the ultimate in multi-selecting has never been easier. Once you get past the expensive asking price, this wireless Bluetooth enabled Apple mouse has quite a few unusual features locked away on it's smooth top and thanks to its angles built in from the top to the bottom it is very easy to become accustomed to the way the mouse moves and how and where you should apply your fingers for scrolling and clicking.

Up until fairly recently I've not been taken with Apple's "old style" Mighty Mouse, having preferred the original smooth pebble corded mouse that has been in service since the beginning of year 2000. This is simply down to the fact that when I've used that many "Mighty" Mac mice in the past the roller ball in the middle of the mouse's top has a tendency to stick itself inside the panel and thus prove to be of no use at all to anyone who is used to a much larger scroller dial in the middle of their computer mouse.

The Magic/Mighty Mouse doesn't move the game on from a palm sized peripheral however - it only allows the owner to deftly flick their fingers over the whole touch sensitive area and across the whole concave design, almost in a complete 360° axis and totally raised-button free. At first I found the whole procedure quite easy to do, able to flick my fingers vertically and horizontally around the central part of the mouse, much the same way I'd do with a standard mouse that has a roller ball in the middle. The difference here is that despite the replaced action being "smoother," in operation, movement of fingers coupled with the rectangular shape means my hand isn't automatically holding onto the mouse as I would normally do with a PC standard mouse. If I do hold onto it, the MM Mouse is sensitive to any darting hand adjustments at the time and I'm forever tapping my mouse in time to the music I play on my computer! Therefore because of the Magic's "natural," design (which isn't that natural in my experience) although the top of the mouse is ergonomic, it isn't raised enough to successfully allow my whole hand to fit the top of it. My hand also struggles to keep the Magic mouse in one position on the mouse pad and thus requires rethinking on my part, just to hover my hand over the mouse and tickle the pad lightly whenever I want something to function - it certainly is a breath of fresh air to what has gone on before!

Having said that though, the Magic Mouse has plenty of settings that allow you to maximize or minimize the sensitivity level and you can change the left or right hand click buttons to suit you. It's nothing new here for those who are used to premium PC quality mice, which have the same kind of features when it comes to customizing - the only difference here is that you have a seamless, smooth glass like top that seems to have a universal sensitivity function.

One useful feature is that the mouse also allows you to skip back a web page by using two fingers to swipe across the mouse's top, just above the Apple icon. I'm still getting used to this feature although sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I eventually disabled this feature because it wasn't convenient for me and I seldom use "back" pages anyway. Another feature I love is "momentum scrolling," which basically means the faster you flick, the faster the pages will flow up or down to the sides as per your movement. Do it slowly and the page will move slowly and vice versa. The feature however is only available on the latest OS X systems however. The same applies to any Apple applications such as iMovie, Garageband and iPhoto - the Magic Mouse is ideal for these applications for quick and stress free movement and application. However the fact that it is totally wire-less and doesn't need a USB booster may be a large attractant for many.

It also weighs approximately 106 grams when batteries are fitted and I have to say over smaller PC Notebook mice, which are half the price and make do with traditional layouts AND still use the same battery type, Apple's Magic Mouse is a little heavier here. This is more apparent when I'm physically having to move the mouse up on my pad to get to another window for example, or finding texts.

System Requirements & Downsides

The hardware that Magic Mouse needs to run is Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 for those like me who have purchased their Mac book in 2008, (but best to still check) this is the version that this kind of peripheral can be used with. However installing the actual mouse won't be as plain sailing as it could have been and for all that it is unique it is a great pity it can't be used on PC's. For a start, if your Mac's Bluetooth is turned on it doesn't automatically detect the Mouse to let you know. You need to go through the system to "find devices," as a sub category selection in the pop up window leading from the System Preferences. Then it only takes a matter of seconds for the mouse to be paired to your Mac system. Thereafter however, once you have linked your Magic Mouse to your Mac system, it will always recognise it and only thereafter requires the Bluetooth to be enabled and then clicked on the icon for the mouse to be connected to the system.

Returning to the web pages I was on made life a little short for the Magic Mouse when I first installed it and another downside surfaced! I returned to the Microsoft Office word document I had been working on and was surprised to see loads of miss-spelt words underlined in red squiggly lines. When trying to right click on the Magic Mouse and not getting anywhere, warning bells were going off in my head. Back to the web pages and no problem; right click was being activated quite the thing as the same as my old mouse with a little window appearing for copy, paste and other edit options. Yet back on the "home" word document, I couldn't fathom why the Magic Mouse was not functioning as normal.

The problem is that you then need to return to the System Preferences and then through to the Mouse located on the Mac server / library. After selecting Mouse in the Mac, I discovered that I had not selected the right hand click to work! Against a cheaper priced mouse, this is the first time I've ever had to select the option for right click part of a mouse to work! After I updated the mouse with an update for this product, things have become better but they're still not perfect with the actual physicality of the design.

Thereafter there are several Apple programs that the Magic Mouse should come alive in, or feel at home in its element. As an avid fan of Garageband and iMovie, I find that the Magic Mouse can be too sensitive for its own good. This is more apparent when working with individual instrument loops to changing the timeline on videos. I know that Apple have worked very hard to produce a premium wireless mouse for their systems, but at times I find myself returning to a corded optical mouse for working with several of Apple's programs and associated software.

Battery Life

One comparative downside of relying on battery power is also the result of no USB signal booster. Although you can easily check the battery level of the batteries on board, (removal is easy since there's a button that unlocks a slim flush fitting door on the base) the ones that Apple install are not rechargeable and I can't help but feel it would have been easier here to have a feature of a USB point on the mouse itself rather than equipping the mouse with a charger dock.

Apple should maybe reconsider updating the Magic Mouse to incorporate it's own built in charger within the mouse itself or at least have some kind of facility where a cord can be installed upon the mouse to the Apple Mac. Of course some would argue then that the Magic Mouse is suddenly not wireless - but then if you want to charge up your iPod, at least you have the facility of USB cord charging and iPod's aren't wired generally! The Magic Mouse does give you the facility to turn off the mouse although it will turn itself off over a period of time to save on power. I quite like that idea as it is easy to wake the mouse simply by tapping it to start it up again and power from fresh high energy, non-rechargeable batteries can last up to a month to three months depending on use. I always use Duracell as a fail safe and the Apple Magic Mouse seems to enjoy these batteries.

Final Thoughts

The Magic Mighty Mouse is a great piece of additional Mac "software," but I don't think it is an essential component over a standard mouse. I also have quite acidic fingers at times and for two years, the silver paint on the underside has yet to fade, emphasizing the exterior quality is generally excellent. For the moment Apple's Magic Mouse is a little more than just a swanky smooth button-less mouse, particularly for those who use most of Apple's artistic and photographic built in computer applications - but who aren't in a rush to complete projects. There is a good cause for it if you don't appreciate individual function buttons that eventually wear or break down and over the previous Mice that Apple have made, this is definitely a step in the right direction. It is just a pity that the cost price now 2 years on seems to be steadily increasing and unless you shop online, there's very little bargaining to be had. Thanks for reading! ©Nar2 2012.

www.apple.com

• MarcoG published 30/04/2012
    Mighty Mouse :)
  • catsholiday published 30/04/2012
    I'm back!!
  • Graygirl published 29/04/2012
    Excellent review. x

offers "Apple Magic Mouse"

Product Information : Apple Magic Mouse

The same Multi-Touch technology first introduced on the revolutionary iPhone comes to the mouse. It's called Magic Mouse, and it's the world's first multi-touch mouse. Click anywhere, scroll in any direction, and swipe through images on its smooth, seamless top shell. It works wirelessly using Bluetooth, so you don't have to worry about cables or adapters cluttering your workspace.

Long Name: Magic Mouse, MB829Z/A Magic, Magic Laser Mouse