Review of "Apple Pencil"

published 16/08/2017 | Caz87
Member since : 29/07/2017
I love film, theatre and entertainment. I am a keen runner and spend a lot of time doing that when I am not working, I work full time in football.
Good
Pro Easy to use,
Cons Only works with iPad Pro, Price, Lack of Apps
Reliability
Ease of Use

"More Apps needed to realise its full potential!"

Apple Pencil in box

Additional Apple Pencil Case

Apple Pencil in box Additional Apple Pencil Case

When purchasing my iPad Pro last month I decided against getting the Apple Pencil to go along with it. That decision lasted all of three days when I thought I must have the Pencil as it was made to go along with the iPad Pro!

The main reason the Pencil was created by Apple was for Designers so they can have a much better tool to help create different drawings and a closer approach as opposed to your touch. So I will admit that I probably wasn't in the target audience due to my lack of creativity. But I have been trying to improve that since purchasing the Pencil.

Price

£99
As with any Apple product it is a struggle to get them cheaper anywhere else as they pretty much have a standard price.
Pencil Case

£29
Available in Midnight Blue, Black, Brown and Grey

Apps

Some of the better apps for design and adjusting photos you have to pay for ranging from £0.99 to £24.99. I haven't bought anything that expensive. I do run my own blog and have tried to draw things and create my own graphics, this was a lot easier than I thought. Another function I have tried more of was with Photographs and changing formats, brightening certain parts of them up and editing things out. For example, a photo I took of the Empire State Building it looked grey so I edited and drew it in more blue.

I am sure more and more apps will adapt and change for the Pencil when the iPad Pro is more widely bought, after all it is an incredible iPad and in my opinion has really stepped it up for Apple from the iPad.

Expensive Colouring Book

As you will see by one of the photos I have attached to the review it pretty much became a rather expensive colouring book as I downloaded Pigment and bought the package to have all colouring books and pages. Pretty amazing to be colouring in on a tablet with the pencil and oil type brush having different looks and depending how hard you press on. I guess at this point I realised that while it is amazing, it is also a huge luxury item that I probably didn't need right now, but I wanted it.
Expensive Notebook

Not forgetting that you can download Apps which are pretty much "Paper" and use the Pencil as a Pen and handwrite your notes straight onto the tablet. That is something that I found pretty great as well, I guess I am easily amused. It saves having loads of pieces of paper to carry around and remember if you have meetings and need to take notes. Plus how amazing would you look doing that!

Easy to use

When you first use it with your iPad Pro you must sync it via Bluetooth, something you only have to do once and takes seconds to do. Once it is synced you can then see the battery remaining time. Not only that, at the end of the day it is like holding a pencil/pen and just well writing with it.

You can also use it to well use your iPad instead of your finger as well, if you so desire to do it!

Time

You will need plenty of free time to allow yourself to test the different functions. See which Apps you can use it best with.

Charging

It comes with a small adapter which can be put in any Apple charger and takes a very short amount of time to charge and then you can get hours of fun out of it. Although depending on how much you use it will drain it quicker. I am pretty sure one of my first days I was colouring for around 6 hours before the 10% battery popped up on the iPad. For a quick charge you can plug it into the bottom of the iPad which will instantly give you some power.

iOS 11

Due out in September is supposed to really improve the function of the Pencil so that will be something else to bare-in-mind. I am therefore looking forward to seeing what those changes will be.

So this is probably not a product that you really really need, but will still want anyway!

• 1st2thebar published 25/08/2017