Apple iPad Wi-Fi 64GB

Apple iPad Wi-Fi 64GB

Review of "Apple iPad Wi-Fi 64GB"

published 06/10/2013 | ms19
Member since : 02/03/2002
Rate me and il try to rate you back :-) x
Pro great display, easy to use, light to hold
Cons no camera
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"Technology At One Touch"

I have been wanting to try out an iPad for a while but haven't known whether to take the leap or not as I only recently bought my Macbook Pro and am constantly on it, so worried that if I bought an iPad, I wouldn't get the used out of it. However, I was lucky at work to find we had one in the office which is an iPad 1 and the storage size of 64GB which is the biggest size, so I was of course happy to take it and have now been using it for a good few months. The main difference with the iPad 1 to the newer models is that it is a lot thicker in size and of course it doesn't have a camera inbuilt into it but this didn't bother me as I use my Mac more for Skype etc. anyway.

APPEARANCE

The iPad1 is still a really nice design, it is a rounded rectangular shape and black with a silver back like most apple products and on the reverse is the Apple logo as well as it stating the information that it is 64GB etc. The dimensions of this iPad are 25.6 x 20.6 x 6.8cm in size and it weighs 4.5kg so does feel slightly heavier but not bad at all. It has a 9.7inch screen size which is great as it is just big enough but not as small as the iPad mini which I wasn't ever keen on. This has buttons on the side as well as speakers on the bottom and the charger port here also. It has the power button to the top right and really, if you are used to using Apple products like the iPhone, it is similar in functionality.
IPAD 1 64GB WI-FI

The main thing that is annoying about having the iPad 1, is the fact that it can't run the new iOs7 or the older 6 so you are limited as to what apps you can run on it and also if an app requires a camera then you will not be able to download it for this iPad also. However, to charge this is easy enough, you can choose to charge through the USB cable charger or you can choose to use a socket charger, it has been known to charge quicker by socked but it depends what you use. I sometimes charge via USB and sometimes by socket but I do find charging it with the power off speeds it up as this iPad can take hours, as much as five to fully charge up.

Once fully charged, this iPad will last for a while it's probably best to charge this overnight if you are on it a lot during the day so that you are not waiting around for it. Once you're iPad is charged you can begin to set it up which is easy to do, you just need to follow the steps and if you have iCloud you can sync your Apple account with everything including your iPhone and once it is registered and set up and fully powered then you can really begin to use it. If you are sharing this iPad if you go into settings, you can change the ID around to suit and you will find most options in settings for adding a passcode etc and keeping it secure.

The first thing I did with the iPad was just get used to using it, on the left you have no buttons and to the top right you have your power on button and power off as well as power save function. On the right side you have the mute on/off button and also have the volume up and down button and to the bottom is the charger port and speakers. You can always turn your iPad to the side and it moves around so you can sit it horizontally or view it portrait. The apps can be downloaded from the App Store which is automatically installed on this as well as Messages, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Contacts, iTunes, Newstand and Game Center.

You can begin downloading apps, some are free and then some will charge, my screen turns off if it is inactive for so many seconds but I'm sure you can change this in settings if you want to. Since having this iPad I have downloaded a lot of apps and games and the display is very sharp and good colour, it has a high resolution LED backlit display which is great for watching videos and looking at photos. I have been using the BBC iPlayer app and it has been fantastic for watching TV shows, the video quality is good and also the sound is fine and it is so light sitting this on my lap while watching shows and it hasn't drained the battery much.

To connect to the internet it is easy enough you just need to go to Settings > Wi-Fi and then connect, at first I was having problems connecting to the wi-fi but after I read some tips online I just had to Reset Network Settings and it worked and after that I was able to enter the wi-fi password and connect. It has a good internet connection and is so easy to use, it responds quickly and to play games on it is very easy too. The iPad has a lithium battery in it which is meant to last up to 10 hours of browsing, videos and music. It is easy to sync emails on this also, you just need to enter who your emails are with, put in the password and they'll automatically filter through to this.

Another thing about the iPad is general internet browsing is easy to do, the browser is easy to use and type on, the keyboard keys are big enough and even moreso when it is flipped horizontally. The only thing that's annoying with the browser is that I can't seem to click links to open them into a new tab but that doesn't bother me too much. Pages load fast on the Safari browser and it is easy to create Bookmarks and also to clear browsing history and make searches. You can choose to change wallpapers on your iPad if you want, either choosing your own photos or using the ones that built into the iPad, they have some nice choices and it just makes it nicer.

What I've found good about the iPad is it doesn't heat up even when being used for long periods of time like a laptop does. The 64gb storage on this is great and I find it really hard to use it up as that is a lot of space. If you play games frequently on the iPad it will show notifications but you can turn these off if you don't want them popping up all of the time. This is a great device and I'm pleased with it, I find it nice when watching TV to just sit with this on my lap and surf the internet as it isn't heavy and so easy to use. The appearance is nice and crisp on this and it is worth buying the newer model in the future I think as I like that it fits in my handbag also.

COST

You can purchase the 1st generation iPad either from Amazon sellers where they are selling this new & used from £216.29 or you can buy it on eBay where they are being sold from as low as £50 but of course ending past the hundred mark, you just need to look for the best deals.

The official Apple website is http://www.apple.com/uk/.

• Alyson29 published 08/10/2013
    Informs the reader of all they need to know :)
  • jjcross published 07/10/2013
    Perhaps you will buy the iPad 5? Its supposed be announced in less than 10 days!
  • CelticSoulSister published 07/10/2013