Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB"

published 02/09/2011 | TheFalloutDude
Member since : 02/09/2011
Pro The intuitive unterface; Out of the box use; The general overall quality of the device; Durability
Cons The lack of physical feedback from touch; It has it's moments of sluggishness
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"An Apple A Day..."

I am afraid to admit that prior to owning my 3GS I was an Apple 'naysayer'.
I had never owned anything manufactured by apple, and I never had any desire to.
Then one day when my contract came up for review I opted for a Nokia... it broke within four days of ownership, so I was allowed to choose another phone...

After speaking for well over an hour to an adviser from my network provider I took a punt an ordered an iPhone 3GS, which at the time was the latest model.

My phone arrived in the afternoon the following day in a sleek network branded box. After spending an embarrassing length of time working out that the battery was encased in the phone, and the SIM card required a carefully hidden tool from the packaging I set out to set up....
I had never used iTunes before, but I installed it and very quickly my iPhone was set up and ready to go.

I was in awe about the quality of the screen, and having never used iOS I found it to be a very intuitive system.
The model is a 16gb and the sheer capacity of the device is outstanding, I cannot speak highly enough about it. I quickly became engrossed in the App Store and its simplicity of use.
The primary thing that I liked about the device was its simplicity, I have owned many phones over the years, but often the interfaces on many felt convoluted and contrived, iOS seemed to strip back the layers of unnecessary add ons that a broad spectrum of phones have developed.

At first sight I saw this as a long step backwards, why on earth would I want a camera without a flash? But in all seriousness from 18 months of continued use, the lack of flash on my camera isn't that big of a deal.

There are some down sides to this marvelous contraption though:
sometime when using the GPS in mapping for example, the device can be a little sluggish in updating the actual map, the locator is instant, it just takes a while to see where you actually are in context of a map.

Another issue for me personally is the lack of control over the vibration setting, it is either on or off. This may like a trivial point, but I have a glass desk, and when the phone rings or receives a message the vibration can be that violent it sounds like my house is being attacked, and if I switch the vibrate off I then struggle to hear calls when I am out and about.

My final point of contention, which stood out from the moment I turned the phone on was the lack of feedback from the screen. I like the physical touch of keys, which is obviously lost on a touch screen device, but other brands of mobile phone for example Blackberry compensate for this with the touch feedback, giving the illusion you are actually pressing the screen down. You can activate an audible click, but it is no substitute for the feel of depressing of a key.
Another quick point to note is the need for a human touch... literally... my old phone I could use a stylus or even the end of my pen to traverse it, and I find myself falling into old habits trying to control my iPhone with a pen and getting nowhere.

In the grand scheme of things the lack of functions can be overshadowed by what the phone does have, in essence it is a: calendar; address book; internet terminal; camera; a-z; notebook; gaming console; news reader; calculator; and most importantly a phone!

In terms of battery life, I can get a good days usage out of the phone, with frequent calls, text messages, checking of email and Facebook, as well as varying frequency of gaming and iPod usage. In the grand scale of battery life I don't think its the best, but I also don't think its the worst when you look at some other phones available on the market.

On a final note, in terms of wear and tear, I find the phone to be very durable, I have dropped it on many occasions and knelt down expecting to find a cracked screen or pieces of casing chipped off, but it has stood the test of my rigorous carelessness.

Product Information : Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

The first thing you'll notice about iPhone 3GS is how quickly you can launch applications. Web pages render in a fraction of the time, and you can view email attachments faster. Improved performance and updated 3D graphics deliver an incredible gaming experience, too. In fact, everything you do on iPhone 3GS is up to 2x faster and more responsive than iPhone 3G. Now you can shoot video, edit it, and share it - all on your iPhone 3GS. Shoot high-quality VGA video in portrait or landscape. Trim your footage by adjusting start and end points. Then share your video in an email, post it to your MobileMe gallery, publish it on YouTube, or sync it back to your Mac or PC using iTunes. The 3-megapixel camera takes great still photos, too, thanks to built-in autofocus and a handy feature that lets you tap the display to focus on anything (or anyone) you want. Voice Control can find anybody in your contacts list. Simply say a name to make a call. Or say a phone number. iPhone repeats your voice commands to confirm them, then dials away. Voice Control knows the music in your iPod, too. Ask your iPhone what song is playing (and hear it answer). Tell it to play your favorite album. Even have it play more songs like the one you're listening to. With a built-in digital compass, iPhone 3GS can point the way. Use the Compass app, or watch as it automatically reorients maps to match the direction you're facing. Cut, copy, and paste words and photos, even between applications. Copy and paste images and content from the web, too. iPhone includes built-in Nike + iPod support. Just slip the Nike + iPod Sensor (available separately) into your Nike+ shoe and start your workout.

Product Description: Apple iPhone 3GS - black - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 3GS - white - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone

Product Type: Smartphone

Weight: 135 g

Colour: Black, White

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, digital player, GPS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 3 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - TFT

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: iOS

Playback Digital Standards: WAV, AAC, AIFF, Audible, MP3, Apple Lossless , MPEG-4, H.264

Talk Time: Up to 720 minutes, Up to 600 minutes

Bundled Service: Pay & Go, Pay As You Go

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Communications

Data Transmission: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA

Wireless Interface: Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, IEEE 802.11b/g

Bluetooth Profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Communication Features: Mobile Email client, Internet browser

Phone Features

Phone Functions: Speakerphone, voice control, call timer, conference call, voice dialing

Polyphonic Ringer: Yes

Sensors: Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, digital compass

Additional Features: TTY compatible, Integrated digital compass

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, synchronization with PC, calculator, reminder, alarm clock

Media Player

Supported Digital Audio Standards: WAV, AAC, AIFF, Audible, MP3, Apple Lossless

Supported Digital Video Standards: MPEG-4, H.264

Memory

User Memory: 16 GB

Digital Camera

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 3 Megapixel

Focus Adjustment: Automatic

Video Recorder Resolutions: 640 x 480 (VGA)

Digital Video Formats: H.264

Display Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels

Display Illumination Colour: White

Multi-language Menu: Yes

Connections

Connector Type: 1 x headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x dock connector - 30 pin dock connector

Battery

Technology: Lithium Ion

Run Time Details: Talk ( GSM ) - up to 720 min ¦ Talk ( WCDMA ) - up to 300 min ¦ Standby - up to 300 hrs ¦ Continuous browsing ( WCDMA ) - up to 5 hrs ¦ Continuous browsing ( Wi-Fi ) - up to 9 hrs ¦ Playback ( video ) - up to 10 hrs ¦ Playback ( audio ) - up to 30 hrs

Miscellaneous