Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

published 15/10/2008 | Aeris_Cloud
Member since : 30/10/2006
Pro Uber cool, ease of use, apps, multi-functionality
Cons Battery life, no vidoe recorder, no MMS, bad sound quality for iPod
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Spare me the technicalities, is it any good?"

I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new iPhone 3g (8gb) and even bought myself out of a contract with O2 so I could get it 3 months before I was due to upgrade to it.

So you can understand my basis for comparison with this review, I usually use the latest Sony Ericsson mobile, and use a pc not a mac.

FROM PURCHASE TO ACTIVATION

I had read some horror stories on activating the phone, but since most of these reviews were written, O2 and Apple have got their act together with the way in which you activate the phone.

I went to my local O2 store, paid my £99 (I had chosen to go onto a £35pm contract, see end of review for tariff info etc), and hurried home with my new prize possession!

The first thing I noticed whilst unpacking my black beauty was that there was no manual - not that I usually read them, but I do, however read the first few pages to see how long I have to charge the battery for. So, Apple were being cocky in thinking their phone was so simple, a mere blonde female such as myself could just pick it up and use it? Darn right! And, to make things even better, the phone was already charged!

Activation requires nothing more technical than loading up iTunes on your pc (and creating an account if you haven't got one already - this includes giving your debit/credit card details)and attaching the iPhone via usb to your computer (no need to install any other software - yay! Why am I yaying? I'm a techie of course). Once iTunes has your phone in it's sights, it's a simple matter of entering your information in the form that appears on screen. 5 minutes after unpacking my iPhone I was ready to go.

USING THE PHONE

As stated above, the phone is very simple to use, even my 3 year old can use it and I won't insult your intelligence by offering a manual through this review. However, for any ladies with acrylic nails, you may find the touch screen a little awkward at first, but don't be put off as it does get easier to navigate after a few days use!

In my opinion, it shouldn't be called a 'touch' screen phone, it's more a 'tap' screen. I've yet to find an iPhone user yet who simply touches the screen, you have to use a slightly mincing motion of smug tapping to select things.

There are only 4 buttons and 1 switch on the phone. An on/off button on the top edge (press and hold to switch off, press once to lock the phone), volume up and volume down buttons one the side, and a handy silent mode switch above these. Now the fourth button, the most important! Apple call this the home key, it is the small square button located at the bottom of the screen and it serves as a back button i.e. you're in an application/looking at a contact and you want to return to the main menu, you press the home key, voilà!

For text messaging, email and other applications that require data entry you are faced with a handy touch (tap) keyboard. Now this is very small - even for delicate female hands - but after a few days one gets used to it (and it's quirky word suggestions!), I have even been told by another iPhone user that you can use a sliding technique for even quicker data entry although I've yet to master this method myself! In my opinion, using this keyboard is much slower than other mobile where you use buttons, perhaps this is down to years of texting with my eyes closed I now have to look what I'm doing?!

THE BEST BIT - THE APPLICATIONS!

As anyone with a iPhone knows,it's best feature is that you can download aplications (apps). Some are free (loads, actually) and others start at 59p through to average £3.99, of course, there are some that are over £20 but in my opinion, the average personal user probably wouldn't want these anyway!

The phone comes with some Apple apps pre-installed, including the iPod application. Apps are downloaded through the phone, directly TO the phone using the app store application (pre-loaded onto the phone). If you are downloading a paid for app, you simply enter your iTunes log-in details and the cost is debited from your bank/credit card.

I'm not going to list all the apps here (there wouldn't be enough room anyway!), but to give you an idea, you can find games, ebook libraries, bank account ledgers, FaceBook, eBay and even period trackers/predictors (don't worry about this one lads!).

BATTERY LIFE

I'm quite disappointed with the battery life. If you're just using it as a phone, there's no problem. But if you're using it as the fantastic multi-functional gadget that it is, then it's no so good. In a typical day, I'm browsing the internet on it, making and receiving calls, using most of the apps and listening to a few songs and I find I have to recharge it by night time.

BACKING UP

To back up all the content on your iPhone, simply attach your phone and start iTunes, this will initiate the syncing process.

INTERNET/EMAIL

Unlike some mobiles, the iPhone can browse the true Internet. Although I must note here that sometimes a website picks up on the fact that I'm using an iPhone and it redirects me to it's iPhone version - not what I want a lot of the time as they usually have limited functionality.

Overall browsing is pretty good, but it's worthy to note that it's far superior when you're browsing over a wi-fi network, and if you want to download apps/songs etc and you're not connected via wi-fi you can simply forget it.

Email is very easy to set up on the phone, it took me mere minutes to set up both my Sky email and Googlemail, and although there is limited functionality, what you do get is good enough.

CONTRACT PRICES

As I'm sure you're aware, you can only use an iPhone if you take out an O2 contract or buy one with a PAYG account. I pay £35pm and get unlimited data, 600 minutes and 500 texts. A PAYG iPhone will set you back minimum £349.99 for an 8gb version. To see the full range of tariffs go to http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

BITS N BOBS

I searched the O2 store for a decent case for my iPhone as I realised dropping it all the time may possibly cause it some damage(!), but I wasn;t prepared to shell out £19.99 for one, so I bought 4 from eBay for a fiver which turned out to be of excellent quality!

You can also buy in-car chargers, dashboard holders and radio transmitters for using it in the car etc.

FUN FACTS & THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE BUYING!

* There is no Bluetooth function EXCEPT for pairing with a headset. This is not a fault, it is a design fault (are you listening Apple?).

* There is no function for recording videos (although urban legend has it that an early jailbreak version of the phone worked a way around this.....)

* There is no MMS function. At first this annoyed me, but who needs MMS when you've got email?

* Don't bother buying if you think you can play your music using the in-built speaker. It's rubbish and distorts even at a reasonable volume.

* It's got a very glossy finish so I don't recommend you follow my lead and go round tight corners in a very fast car with it sitting on the dash/passenger seat/etc. Same goes for putting it in your back jeans pocket then going to the loo (ladies).

* The volume for incoming calls is never loud enough, but it does have a vibrate function.

* The camera quality is acceptable, but not good enough to replace a dedicated digital camera.

* There are no contact groups (although there is a work around using MS software).

* You cannot assign your own ringtones for calls (once again, there is a work around for this but only for mac users).

* Your friends will be very jealous.......

• Eazy_Rider published 08/02/2009
    Great review, thanks :)
  • rd52169 published 16/10/2008
    great review
  • Aeris_Cloud published 15/10/2008
    Thanks for the comments guys! I must say, it's the first Apple product I've owned and I'm very impressed.

offers "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

Product Information : Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Cut, copy, and paste with a tap. Send text, photos, locations, and more. Search across your iPhone. Phone, iPod, and Internet device in one, iPhone 3G offers desktop-class email, an amazing maps application, and Safari - mobile web browser. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do - again. Find your location, get directions, and see traffic - all from your phone. Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever. Get directions to wherever from wherever. View a list of turn-by-turn directions or follow a highlighted map route and track your progress with live GPS tracking. Just like Google Maps on your computer, Maps on iPhone lets you switch between views of Google Map data, satellite images, and a hybrid of both. Multi-Touch makes the difference. Tap to Zoom, pan, and change your view on the move. Maps on iPhone shows you live traffic information, indicating traffic speed along your route in easy-to-read green, red, and yellow highlights.

Product Description: Apple iPhone 3G - black - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 3G - white - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone

Product Type: Smartphone

Weight: 133 g

Colour: Black, White

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, digital player, GPS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 2 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - TFT

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: OS X

Input Device(s): Multi-touch

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Communications

Diagonal Size: 3.5"

Display Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels

Display Illumination Colour: White

Connections

Connector Type: 1 x headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x dock connector - 30 pin dock connector

Battery

Run Time Details: Talk - up to 600 min ¦ Standby - up to 300 hrs

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Hands-free headset, cleaning cloth, USB cable, power adapter

Listed on Ciao since: 08/06/2010