Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

published 12/01/2009 | francesca.sd
Member since : 08/06/2007
Pro Does everything! Looks good. Many free applications to download.
Cons Expensive WAP if you dont have a wifi connection. not very robust.
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"**Apple Iphone 8GB**"

Apple iPhone 3G case :-)

Apple iPhone 3G case :-)

I Got the apple iphone for Christmas and just to let you know. I will be writing about the 8GB iphone because this is the one I have.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Price
The apple iphone 3 GB is currently only available on o2. Personally, I think this is a good thing because o2 are an excellent phone company and the others simply just don't deserve it! O2 own the rights to sell the iphone from apple and this is why you can't buy it from your local orange shop or whatever. Now, my phone is on pay as you go. I have what is called a 30 day contract which is sim only meaning I have all the advantages of a contract but it's cheaper because the 'free' phone isn't included in my monthly price. Therefore, my boyfriend bought this for me on pay as you go and I put my sim in it. Now as it was a present I can't tell you how much he paid. However I believe he purchased it from an o2 store in which case it would have been about £350. Okay so this is allot of money for a phone. But as you will find out throughout this review. It is simply not just a phone and if, you're going to look after it, well worth the money. You can also get this on contract. The price of the iphone varies from free to £155 depending on which phone you get in terms of GB and which contact you take out.

The contract prices are as follows:
£29.38 per month you get 75 mins and125 texts but have to pay £96 for the 8GB model and £155 for the 16GB model.
£34.26 per month you get 600 mins and 500 texts but have to pay £96 for the 8GB model and £155 for the 16GB model.
£44.05 per month you get 1200 mins and 500 texts with the 8GB model free but the 16GB model costing £57.
£73.41 per month you get 3000 mins and 500 texts with both handsets as free.
The official price for pay as you go: 8GB £342.50 16GB £391.45
------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------
Where can it be bought?
Can be purchased at o2 or carphone warehouse or online at either of these online stores.
Functions
This phone has absolutely everything and anything you could ever desire a phone to have. It has GPS through the use of maps which can give directions whether you are driving, walking or taking public transport. This feature also provides the user with a satellite view or a street map view or a hybrid of both depending upon how you intend to use your maps.

Technical stuff:
Available versions: 8GB Black, 16GB, 32GB Black or White
Weight: 133g
Screen: 3.5inch, 480 x 320 pix, resolution 163 ppi
Doesnt' allow use of memory cards, video (unless you have Iphone 3GS) or MP3 ringtones. The Bluetooth is also fairly limited.

Also it has that all important iPod. The iPod on the phone does exactly the same as the normal iPod touch. My boyfriend has one and the functions are exactly the same. The iPod touch is absolutely wonderful. I have an 8GB iphone and I'm not sure how much the phone bit actually takes up in terms of the memory but you can still fit allot of songs on this phone. I have about 1000 I think and still have memory free to add extra applications etc. its widescreen, you can view videos through the iPod and there are different formats you can use to view your songs.

It also has YouTube built in which is fast and just like the normal YouTube but obviously on a smaller screen.

This phone also has a camera. The camera is okay; when I first opened the phone and used it I thought the camera was super brilliant and lovely quality. It is a good camera- yes but not as good as you think it is first of all. It just looks crystal clear because the screen is so big. however I really couldn't care less because I don't use the phone camera much as I have a fairly decent quality camera to use anyway which I always take out with me. also the camera doesn't allow any extra features like basic mobile phones with cameras do such as changing the format- e.g. to sepia tone, black and white etc. There is also no flash and you can't take videos or zoom. You can, however zoom in on the picture afterwards, once you have taken It., also you have to hold the camera really still otherwise the picture will be very blurry. Having said all this negative stuff it's still an alright camera and takes decent pictures but I don't think when this was made apple really cared about creating a good quality camera. It doesn't bother me and I'm pretty sure it won't bother most people.

Internet on this phone is wonderful as it enables wireless technology. Using safari, which apple boasts is the best program for browsing the web on a portable device, the user is able to view rich texts and pictures in superb crystal colour. I absolutely love using the internet on this thing. It's brilliant. It's extremely fast and addictive, I use facebook on my iphone and it's quicker than my laptop, in fact allot of things are quicker on the iphone browser. Perhaps this is just a trait the iphone has received from its father the apple Mac, I wouldn't know, but it is so fast. However there is one big but. If you don't have wireless internet at home, the iphone will connect to wap for every application you use which requires internet connection, this is very costly. I don't understand why it costs more on the iphone but it does. Let me give you my personal experience of this. I have an extra £5 on my contract this month for accidentally going on applications when I'm out, away from a wireless internet connection. If it costs £5 for a few accidental connections using wap then this clearly shows it's costly. and I don't mean it's been in my pocket on the internet for hours because I always locks my phone.. I mean literally on it for 5 seconds. So only use the internet if you have wireless. And as it's a touch screen it's so easily to click on the wrong thing. Therefore, I moved all apps which require internet to the second menu screen so I know only to ever go on that screen when I have a wireless connection.

I must also mention that the applications you can download on this iphone are excellent. I have downloaded many free ones through the iphone app store. Such as pacman, fish tycoon, and a BMI calculator. The range is really broad from health and fitness apps to spooky ones! So many I love them. And even the ones you have to pay for, which you pay for with an iTunes account are on the whole good value. But many are free! The aps are honestly so amazing. I love them, my favourites are Facebook, Ebay, Sky News and ITN news. But you can get some really excellent other ones too. For example, Twitter, Telegraph news, Translators etc. etc. To look at the list visit the Itunes apps website. There really is an app for everything.

ITunes is really great on this too. You literally click on iTunes and you can download a song straight onto your iPod in less than a minute. Absolutely amazing.

So...it's a phone...what about the phone bit?! Yes, it is a phone so I will run through the boringness of making phone calls, sending texts blah blah! Right so ok, the speaker is clear and loud when you are on the phone and you can put it on speaker phone which is very loud. The text messaging is good but takes a little getting used to. It's like a keyboard and you type by pressing your fingers on the screen. unlike other phones with entirely touch screen it is actually really easy to use the keyboard on the iphone because: say if I type "rar" instead of "rat" because the r is next to the t and the keys are really small is comes up with rat anyway and you can prove or disapprove this with the touch of a button. the only bad thing I would say about this as a function of a phone is that when you are texting, it doesn't tell you how many messages your text is taking up- e.g. on other phones if you go over a certain number of characters it tells you your text is two messages long. The iphone doesn't do this and it isn't a problem for me on a contract but if you buy this phone and use pay as you go it could be a problem.

It's also got alarm...Bluetooth...calendar...notes and calculator which are all fine but that's just boring right!!!! The only thing I would say is that the Bluetooth you can't exchange songs due to the licensing and copyright laws to do with iTunes- e.g. you might download a song from iTunes and send it straight to your friend. You also can't send pics through Bluetooth so I don't really know what the Bluetooth is for?
Oh and one last thing...it does this cute little thing where you can tilt it and shake it when you play games! It's so intelligent this thing!

Just to mention you can get Google Earth for free, obviously you have to use the internet to use it but it can be downloaded for free and it is amazing on Iphone. Secondly you can take 'screen shots' of what is shown on the screen of your phone. This can be helpful: for example: if you are going away for a day and you have a travel itinerary from last minute.com and will not be able to access the internet on your day out, you can take a screen shot of the webpage using the camera feature and save it as a picture. Also one last thing, you can easily magnify webpages on the iphone just by touching the screen with two fingers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little more about the Apps
The funtions of this phone really are ongoing. To list them all would be impossible. Literally, impossible, because we do not know the extent to which this phone can perform. There are applications which can be downloaded in the pipelines which we do not even know about yet. There are thousands of apps. THOUSANDS! Over a billion have been downloaded, it's unbelievable what this phone can really do. Perhaps what is even more amazing, in my opinion, is how quickly and easily you can donload an application. In a mere 30 seconds you could have twitter on your phone and it doesnt require connection to the internet, you just go to the icon on the Iphone homescreen which says 'App store' and then you can access thousands of Apps. There are so many categories to choose from to find tha app that will suit your needs. The current categories are:
-Games
-Social Networking
-Weather
-Music
-Books
I can't communicate to you how amazing this function is. Without the Apps option the Iphone would just be a good phone. Because you are able to have apps, this makes it an amazing phone. There's just so much choice as you can see from the categories above. I have The Sims 3 game app which is really good but it kept freezing every now and then so EA games released an update and now it doesn't! this is another great thing about applications, you can update for free! Everytime you access the app store, it will check to see if there are any updates and then you just press update and it does it all for you in under a minute and next time you access that app, it will have been updated! The Iphone will constantly be new and fresh because of this.
There are many useful apps and lots are free. For example there is an app that you can download which dictates basic first aid to you in case you ever need it! Or an app which displays your contact info and a possible reward if someone finds your phone!
------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
Durability/robustness/life
the battery lasts a long time. If you're not playing about with it all day like I do it could probably last about 2-3 days on one charge but I have to charge mine pretty much everyday cos I'm always using it.
The phone is not the most hardcore and durable. It can break really easily. Definitely get yourself a case and screen protector but don't get it from a shop get it from eBay. You can get a case from as little as £1.99. The screen protectors are good but are hard to put on. So buy a few. They 99p each and practice it. Or I think you can pay about a fiver in o2 and they can fit it for you and if they do it wrong they'll have to get you another and do it again. But still not worth it cos it's a thin bit of plastic kind of like harder cling film which would cost less than a penny to make. But definitely get one either way. I got one but didn't put it on right and got frustrated and threw it away and consequently despite having my phone for only three weeks got a tiny scratch on the screen. So I will be getting one and putting it on properly very soon.
The Iphone can scratch easily. But if you get a good case and protector you could potentially have this hpone for a very long time. Because it's quite expensive, and hasn't gone down much in price, it is still very much in demand. This means that you will be able to keep it for a while before it becomes obselete. Also, Apple update Iphone software and you will find this when you plug your phone into a computer. This is to make the phone last because it is so powerful that there are often bugs which have to be rectified.
I have dropped water all over it and I cried because I thought my Iphone was dead but I simply put it next to a radiator and blew through the speaker and it cleared up in half an hour! wouldn't recommend it though!
Appearance
some say it's too big but I love big phone so I love it. It's big and beautiful I have the black one; never seen the white one but I'm sure it's nice too. But will get dirty very quick if you don't have a case. Mine is bright pink and lime green at the mo cos that's the case I got on eBay! It's so retro being able to change the case! Reminds me of the old school nokia days!
It measures approximately 11cm in length and has a width of 6 cm. It's certainly a very big phone and I know that some people won't go for this becasue of its large size. However, if you look at the aize of most of the other phone on the market at the moment, it is clear that this is not uncommon. Yes, the Iphone may be probably the largest phone around but others aren't too far from it. Also, although large, the Iphone is quite thin, Surprisingly, even though it is like a tiny computer and is an unbelievably powerful device it is quite thin. It is not much thicker than an Ipod touch. I like it because it has a smooth curve shape which I think looks really stylish. They really have designed the phone well. You can get the Iphone in white, but mine is black. It has a styligh black back and front with silver-coloured trim and detailing including a silver Apple logo on the back. It really does have a very good design and is a very attractive phone.

My phone fits perfectly and comfortably in the palm of my hand and it can fit into my clutch bag without any lumps or bumps which is great.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

Updates: Just wanted to update upon my review. I have had my Iphone for 9 months now and I still love it. However I had a major CATASTROHPE!!! because I am on sim only contract, I accidentally left one of the webpages open overnight meaning that I run up a £302 phone bill which was shocking! I was so upset but the lovely people at 02 sorted it out for me and got it refunded as a favour. Also, they blocked my GPS so that I can't use the mobile internet anymore, which I didnt use anyway apart from when I lost wireless internet. So now thanks to lovely people at o2, I no longer run up a massive bill. It was getting ridculous to be honest because I pay £20 per month and because I kept losing wireless in my house every month I was having to pay a little bit extra like £5-10 a month where I didn't realise the signal had been lost and I was still on the internet. This doesn't matter if you are on contract because you have free internet included in an Iphone contract. I already had my sim only contract before I got the phone so I do not have an Iphone contract. just to let you know if you are an Iphone customer on pay as you go/sim only contract, I'd call them up and ask them if they can bar your GPS. The reason my overun bill came to such an astronomical amount is because the Iphone has really great internet facilities and eats up so many MBs and GBs, more than a normal phone.

Also, another update, you can now get TomTom Satnav on your Iphone, I hear it's very good and costs just £59.99 so there is no need to buy a satnav as well! This is why Iphone is so good, it's constantly updated and so, providing you look after it physically you could honestly keep this phone for a number of years! I haven't got this app yet, but just though I'd share this exciting news with you because it just proves the flexibility of the Iphone.

I have the Iphone 3.0 software, It took a long while to update, perhaps nearly two hours which was very frustrating because I was eagerly awaiting it! It is very very good. You have a new screen on the Iphone which allows you to search through your Iphone for songs, etc. which to be honest I don't use much, but some people will I'm sure. Also there is voice recording, which I'm going to use for my lectures this year at uni. It records sounds very clearly and loudly, as good as any dictophone I would say, if not better, but I am unsure of whether or not the sound is as good from afar. I will let you know. You can also text horizontally now instead of vertically but this makes no difference to me. It is easier, granted but I always forget that you can do it cos I've gone so long without it!!!! The internet is also a bit faster with this update but to be honest it's really really fast anyway! You can also copy, cut and paste and now you can forward text messages. MMS is also now enabled.

The accecories for Iphone are soooo girl-friendly (if you buy them on ebay) I love it, take a look at the pictures of the ones I have bought!!!! sooo cute. (but in o2 they also have bo0ring boy ones! haha)

Lastly, if you Iphone plays up and starts going bezerk it needs to be updated! this can worry a user, but it's because the bugs are thriving and needs to be sorted with a plug in to Itunes!

Overall opinion/Recommendation: A great phone which can do pretty much anything! You have to look after it well and nurture it (keep it up to date!) but it will serve you well. Also better if you have it on contract to get unlimited internet. Not for you if you just want to call and text people and nothing else. This phone was made for entertainment, with it's built-in Ipod and unlimited applications, if you just want a phone for a phone then perhaps this isn't for you!

Thanks for reading.

• Loubenet published 24/09/2010
    Brilliant, thorough review. Have an E :~)
  • Ruby.xo published 13/12/2009
    Exceptional review, and I love your case for it! x
  • D_i_a_n_e published 22/09/2009
    Fab review!

Product Information : Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Cut, copy, and paste with a tap. Send text, photos, locations, and more. Search across your iPhone. Phone, iPod, and Internet device in one, iPhone 3G offers desktop-class email, an amazing maps application, and Safari - mobile web browser. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do - again. Find your location, get directions, and see traffic - all from your phone. Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever. Get directions to wherever from wherever. View a list of turn-by-turn directions or follow a highlighted map route and track your progress with live GPS tracking. Just like Google Maps on your computer, Maps on iPhone lets you switch between views of Google Map data, satellite images, and a hybrid of both. Multi-Touch makes the difference. Tap to Zoom, pan, and change your view on the move. Maps on iPhone shows you live traffic information, indicating traffic speed along your route in easy-to-read green, red, and yellow highlights.

Product Description: Apple iPhone 3G - black - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 3G - white - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone

Product Type: Smartphone

Weight: 133 g

Colour: Black, White

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, digital player, GPS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 2 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - TFT

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: OS X

Input Device(s): Multi-touch

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Communications

Diagonal Size: 3.5"

Display Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels

Display Illumination Colour: White

Connections

Connector Type: 1 x headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x dock connector - 30 pin dock connector

Battery

Run Time Details: Talk - up to 600 min ¦ Standby - up to 300 hrs

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Hands-free headset, cleaning cloth, USB cable, power adapter

Listed on Ciao since: 08/06/2010