Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

published 16/05/2010 | Vixterbelle
Member since : 30/12/2008
Pro Intuitive, Brilliant, Fun, My whole life in my pocket!
Cons Battery life is short
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"The mobile phone has evolved - meet the iphone!"

It's that time of year again - upgrade time! My previous contract expires in June, but the kind boffins at Vodafone have decided we can upgrade 70 days early. Very generous! I managed to get to a shop on my birthday so I could properly grill the team there about which smart phone to get - not being particularly techy I needed some help on the features front.

My choices were limited (following a certain amount of internet research) to either the iphone 3G or the HTC legend. My kind techy bloke at the vodafone shop brought them out for me to look at. So the comparisons commenced!

I had originally been drawn to the HTC because (shallow as I am) I love silver mobile phones. And the HTC is very sleek, being made out of one sheet of metal and almost forged. However, the HTC looks better on TV then is does in person, and I found myself being drawn to the iphone. The screen is slightly larger, the unit seems to be designed slightly better than the HTC and from what everyone, including the sales people have been telling me, the apps are better developed for the iphone. Of course you also get a huge range of products available through itunes, but more of that later.

So I took the plunge (something I seem to be doing a lot lately!) and went for the iphone. I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I have ever made! I can't keep my hands off it and I'm still being amazed at the huge number of things I can do with it. The iphone comes with 16 app icons as standard, including the ordinary stuff like a button for messages, a button for contacts and one to make phone calls. There's also one for the camera, a clock, photos, calculator and calendar. All pretty standard for a mobile phone.
Then there's the internet stuff that I haven't experienced before. There's a button for checking your email, one for checking the weather, wherever you are, another for maps (this links to GPS so the phone can tell you where you are and how to get to other places) you can link directly to YouTube, the latest stock exchange changes and there are buttons for the app store, itunes, safari (which links with google to help you surf the web) and of course there's the ipod button. I must confess to only having got as far as MP3 when it comes to carrying music around with me, but this is all so user friendly that I've adopted this as my main means of entertainment! I've even gone as far as buying an in-car charger and short AUX cable so I can play my music through the car radio. : )

So far, I love this thing. I've spent a lot of time happily surfing the app store and downloading all kinds of useful things, such as a free booking reading app so I'm never bored when having to wait for people/transport/takeaway etc. I've got a calorie counting app to help me shift a few pounds for my best friend's wedding and lots of others (all free but one!) to help me both sort my life out and keep in contact with everyone. One of my favourite features is a very simple thing - when you're writing text messages (which I do a lot - 3000 free with the contract) the phone shows you a keyboard and this can be turned so the phone is landscape, giving you more room to type. You can also see the messages sent between you and your family and friends in a speech bubble format so if you have to wait a while before replying, you can check what was said before. Love it!

Lots of people rave about camera phones and the iphone has got a decent one. There is no flash though, and unless you sync your photo albums you only have one folder to store things in. As far as I'm concerned it's the phone's weakest feature, but I'm a traditionalist - I've got a phone that happens to be able to do loads of other stuff; I have a digital camera for the high-quality shots.

Then there's the ability to check email wherever I am. I've been quite entrepreneurial recently and I need to keep an eye on emails to make sure I'm not missing any business. One or two touches of a screen and I can see who's been getting in touch and I can even reply in kind!

The itunes thing took me a little while to get used to. I've never used Apple designed products before and I wasn't sure how it was all going to work out, but everything I've seen is very intuitive and if you're not sure, the help feature is very useful. Now I have itunes on the laptop I'm very worried that I'll be able to download anything and everything at the click of a button - not good for the monthly budget! I've managed to spend only 59p so far - luckily there are so many free options on the phone that I don't feel compelled to go nuts.... not yet anyway! Unfortunately I've got an app for Last.fm which plays music you might like based on your favourite artists. It won't be long before I start downloading new albums to listen to. Very dangerous!

So is there anything that I don't like about the iphone?
Only a couple of things.
Firstly, I'm terrified of dropping it or scratching the screen. I've bought silicon sleeve for it to live in, but the screen is still unprotected. You can buy protective covers for it, at £8 a time or thereabouts.
To get the very best out of this thing you feel compelled to buy gadgets and attachments - at the very least I'm now lusting after a mini speaker system in the house!
The battery life on this thing is rubbish. I'm not what I would describe as a heavy user as I'm at work for 8 hours a day which prevents me playing with it except at lunchtimes. However, I'm still only getting a day's use out of a full charge - hence why I bought the in-car charger just in case I need to make a call while on the road. I drive quite a lot and I don't feel safe not having a phone on me should something happen.
I'm in grave danger of losing the iphone altogether - whenever I put it down for longer then a minute Lovely Man pounces and won't give it back. I guess that's fair, I used to grab his and play games whenever he wasn't looking.

I only have the basic 3G model but this is more than enough technology for me! I can store up to 2000 songs (ish) on the ipod, I can read books, play games (don't download the bubble game or angry birds, they're lethal!) check email, look at interesting websites I see advertised, I will never get lost ever again thanks to the map app, never forget anything due to the calendar functions and I will always be on time, which ever continent I may be on.

Not sure how I survived without it, actually.....

• Novabug published 12/11/2010
    A Blackberry man myself, but nice review indeed. :)
  • paulpry118 published 17/05/2010
    Hubby wants one of these
  • frain2005 published 17/05/2010
    Great review!

offers "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

Product Information : Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Cut, copy, and paste with a tap. Send text, photos, locations, and more. Search across your iPhone. Phone, iPod, and Internet device in one, iPhone 3G offers desktop-class email, an amazing maps application, and Safari - mobile web browser. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do - again. Find your location, get directions, and see traffic - all from your phone. Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever. Get directions to wherever from wherever. View a list of turn-by-turn directions or follow a highlighted map route and track your progress with live GPS tracking. Just like Google Maps on your computer, Maps on iPhone lets you switch between views of Google Map data, satellite images, and a hybrid of both. Multi-Touch makes the difference. Tap to Zoom, pan, and change your view on the move. Maps on iPhone shows you live traffic information, indicating traffic speed along your route in easy-to-read green, red, and yellow highlights.

Product Description: Apple iPhone 3G - black - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 3G - white - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone

Product Type: Smartphone

Weight: 133 g

Colour: Black, White

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, digital player, GPS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 2 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - TFT

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: OS X

Input Device(s): Multi-touch

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Communications

Diagonal Size: 3.5"

Display Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels

Display Illumination Colour: White

Connections

Connector Type: 1 x headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x dock connector - 30 pin dock connector

Battery

Run Time Details: Talk - up to 600 min ¦ Standby - up to 300 hrs

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Hands-free headset, cleaning cloth, USB cable, power adapter

Listed on Ciao since: 08/06/2010