Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 3G 16GB"

published 04/04/2011 | leeanne160480
Member since : 15/08/2008
Not been on here for around a year, putting my Dooyoo reviews over. May as well try and earn a bit more money.
Pro Just a great phone
Cons Battery life
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"I STILL LOVE THIS PHONE"

I have had my IPhone since last July and I still love it so!

I have wanted 1 for ages, but always put off getting one. I've never had a contract Phone and was considering taking this on contract just to get my hands on one, but I always held back. It would have been a good way to pay it up, but the thought of paying £30 a month and being tied into a 2 year contact just didn't sit right with me. So the phone would end up costing me £720. Fair enough I would get 100 minutes and think it was unlimited text and internet (not sure about those things though), but it just seemed so pricey.

Then again the pay as you go option isn't cheap either. This was always sitting at the £400 mark and then you had to think about your top ups to this as well. However I had set my mind on getting 1 and in July I decided to treat myself to 1. I've been working loads and although I still struggle and feel I have been selfish with buying this I wanted to do something for me for a change. I also got a nice surprise this month. Although I didn't get a payrise as I get paid more than my colleages (go me!), I got a lump sum bonus of £362 (not sure why the £2, but who cares), so that really made my mind up about getting this.

I ordered it from O2 who are my current provider. Instead of buying it online as I had a million and 1 questions about this I phoned up. can't say I was happy about the Customer Service I received from them, but that can be saved for another review. i ordered this on thursday around 12.30pm, and I had it around 1pm on the friday. This was great as yoou know what it's like when you are waiting on something you are excited about.

Bought a Car charger and case for it on e-bay. £1.99 each with postage included in the price and they both look good and do the job they are meant to do.

Right now to the phone. I didn't get the best start to the experience, and was probably ready to throw it away about 3 hours after I had it as it ate all the credit on my phone without me doing anything (or so I thought).

When you get it you only have all the little squares on the front screen. This is all the essentials such as settings, phone calls, texts and all the usual things. In order to get the phone activated you must install i tunes (if you don't already have it on your pc, then connect the phone to the pc through the usb lead and then this puts i tunes on your phone and activates this. Having been a bit nosy, of course I was pressing all the buttons on the phone, and i tunes came up "loading". I didn't think anything else of it and clicked out of it and went back to the front screen and just got on with playing about with it. About 10 minutes later I kept getting pop ups saying that I needed at least 17p of credit in order to access the internet. I just thought it was information and just kept closing them. Then I decided i was going to phone my husbands phone to make sure a call connected. As soon as I done that it came up saying that calltime was empty. It wouldn't even connect me to O2 customer services until I topped up. I didn't want to top up in case it done the same thing, so when I got home I phoned them from my home phone. "Press the centre button and hold for 2 seconds" the bored O2 worker said. i did and then he asked what came up down the bottom. It was i tunes. He said that when you press this button in then it comes up the open connections, and it was connected to i tunes all this time even though I hadn't done anything. So I had done my money. At least it was only £5, but £5 is still £5. So I topped up £10, but then my husband tapped on Apps store, came out of it straight away and it had took £1.52. So annoyed I restricted all those things and hid them behind a pin number, until I would phone O2 customer services again the next day. Also I decided to add an internet bolt on onto my phone and just really needed to learn a lot more about it.

So now everything is all going good. So lets actually talk about the phone.

It is encased in a nce shiny black case with a silver Apple logo on the back and IPhone down the bottom. This gets completely covered in finger prints so doesn't stay so nice and shiny since you will hold the phone there, but the case i've got looks good and has a cut out for the apple logo and is slimline as well, This will keep it in good condition I hope and it it was dropped then it is covering the corners so hopefully this won't get marked. The screen in the case is completely exposed but you can but a thin plastic covering on it so everything is covered but you still get full use of the phone.

There is so much you can go into on this phone, but I won't cover every single thing. There is all the usual functions, battery percentage, alarm clock, text messages, check your e-mails (which you have to get forwarded from your e-mail account, which isn't that hard to do. Always best to check with your e-mail provider), calander, photo's, camera, weather forcast.

To get any music on it as far as I know you have to do it through i tunes. I tried to bluetooth from my pc to it, and even connected the phone through usb but it failed on the bluetooth. Suspecting this was the phone at fault I tried to connect to a bluetooth earpiece, and my bluetooth car stereo and it connected fine, but I have been told it has to be i tunes. Doesn't seem fair on that part, as I want music on it, but hope I won't have to pay for music I already have.

I like when sending e-mails or texts. you can rotate the phone and the keyboard goes that way too. So I tend to hold it longways so it is longer across the screen.

Apps, now this is the fun part. you can go to websites and get apps, but every one I have so far has come from the apps store. Loads of them are free of charge but others start from 59p upwards. for any chargable apps then you have to have set up an i tunes account and have a registered card and the money comes off that way. I think I've downloaded about 70 apps because they were free and sounded good, but a few i've tried are a bit guff! I;ve got games, radio stations, photo apps, diet and fitness ones, cooking ones, national lottery results, weather channel, sky news, Sky remote record so I can set my box to record something when i'm not even near it (you have to configure your sky box as well for this). There is too mcuh to go into for this one. I've got You Tube and Facebook as well, so can catch up on my FB account while on the move.

Right, the Internet bit. How does it work? Ii wasn't too sure about this as my old phone was a Sony Walkman Phone with no internet access. When i'm at home it conects to my home Router wirelessly and I can get full use of the internet without me incurring any charges. What about when you are out and about? you can connect to anywhere that has free wifi such as McDonalds, Starbucks and so on, and you won't pay either. With my Sim card that I brought over from my other phone I get 500mb of Internet use per month for free, but don't really know what that equates to. I also added on a £10 bolt on, which gives me Unlimited Internet access and unlimited wireless coverage. I may not keep this on every month. I was just thinking that this was my new toy and I will be playing about with it that bit more. Considering the waste I had in the first day with internet then I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. If anyone reading this review could tell me what 500mb would get me per month then that would be great.

There has been mixed reviews from my friends in regards to me buying this. yes, I know they are expensive, and considering there is phones a lot cheaper than this that go online, can download apps and all that then perhaps it isn't worth the money, but it is a great looking phone, up to the minute, people know it is an expensive piece of kit and it was what I wanted so it it for me. Some people have slagged it off but their tone to be honest seemed that bit jeaous,even though it may have not been. Who knows. Each to their own and all that.

Is their anything I don't like about this? Yes there is. The battery life is terrible. I have to charge mine every 2nd day, and it probably only lasts over a day and a half. I have turned thr brightness down on mine, and still it doesn't last all that long unfortunately.

This is a great phone in my view and I would say if you can afford 1 then they are brilliant.

• supersonic75 published 06/04/2011
    E from me really good write up x
  • Myredpip published 04/04/2011
    Really good write up x

Product Information : Apple iPhone 3G 16GB

Cut, copy, and paste with a tap. Send text, photos, locations, and more. Search across your iPhone. Phone, iPod, and Internet device in one, iPhone 3G offers desktop-class email, an amazing maps application, and Safari - mobile web browser. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do - again. Find your location, get directions, and see traffic - all from your phone. Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever. Get directions to wherever from wherever. View a list of turn-by-turn directions or follow a highlighted map route and track your progress with live GPS tracking. Just like Google Maps on your computer, Maps on iPhone lets you switch between views of Google Map data, satellite images, and a hybrid of both. Multi-Touch makes the difference. Tap to Zoom, pan, and change your view on the move. Maps on iPhone shows you live traffic information, indicating traffic speed along your route in easy-to-read green, red, and yellow highlights.

Product Description: Apple iPhone 3G - black - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 3G - white - 3G 16 GB - GSM - smartphone

Product Type: Smartphone

Weight: 133 g

Colour: Black, White

Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Integrated Components: Digital camera, digital player, GPS receiver, voice recorder

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 2 Megapixel

Wireless Interface: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - TFT

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Operating System: OS X

Input Device(s): Multi-touch

Messaging & Internet

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Supported Email Protocols: POP3, IMAP4

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support

Communications

Diagonal Size: 3.5"

Display Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels

Display Illumination Colour: White

Connections

Connector Type: 1 x headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm ¦ 1 x dock connector - 30 pin dock connector

Battery

Run Time Details: Talk - up to 600 min ¦ Standby - up to 300 hrs

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Hands-free headset, cleaning cloth, USB cable, power adapter

Listed on Ciao since: 08/06/2010