Apple iPhone 4S 32GB

Apple iPhone 4S 32GB

Review of "Apple iPhone 4S 32GB"

published 14/11/2011 | Spottydog11
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"My cool white phone"

My husband just upgraded my iPhone 2 to a iPhone 4S at the same time as he did his. We were out of contract with Orange and decided to look around for a better deal. He contacted Vodaphone who were willing to buy our old phones for about £70 each and then sell us the iPhone 4's for less than that so we actually made a profit on selling the phones back. We did have to pay a bit more to finish the contracts but Vodaphone were offering unlimited texts so we went with them and so far I have been pleased with the service.

Being a bit girly I requested the white iPhone 4 as I like the colour difference from just boring old black and I also can find it a lot easier in my handbag than I used to be able to with the black iPhone 2. The iPhone 4 was the replacement to the iPhone 3, I skipped this version and went straight to the 4 from the 2 as I didn't think it was worth getting the 3 since the 4 was out. However the iPhone 5 will soon be out so what will that do for the iPhone 4? Anyhow, for the time being I am really enjoying my new phone.

Now, I am not very technologically savvy but I have noted a few advances in technology that have made this phone better than the 2. The phone is still the same touch screen format but has been made a bit slimmer so it is a bit of a smaller phone. It's quite thin now which I like however I have quite a thick Cath Kidston case for it so I am really not benefiting from the new slim design. The phone also has an uninsulated stainless steel frame that acts as the device's antenna. Now I'm not sure if this is a benefit or not but I have heard that this makes the antenna quite susceptible to damage and so you really need to make sure that you protect this part of the phone.

Turning on the phone is just the same as before. There is a round button on the bottom that you press which brings up the home page which has the time and date on it and also your signal bar and how much charge you have left in the phone. You can put a lock on your phone if you wish which can be unlocked with a 4 digit code.

The main main is the same as well then with little icons to press that take you to the application you want. For example if you are on Facebook you can add this to your phone and then press to get into that page. Telephone calls are easy on this phone, you press the phone icon and then have the option of making calls, seeing recent callers, going to your contacts so you can look up numbers quick and easily and going to your voicemails. I know near the end of his iPhone 2 my husband had a lot of problems making calls with the phone just not ringing out or dropping calls half way through but he has experienced none of this so far with the iPhone 4.

The phone has bluetooth as well which I didn't have in my old phone and is another function I love. I can then use this phone in my car and it links up tot he digital out read on my car and works as a hands free car phone. I love this and now chat away all the time in my car as the phone has given me the ability to do so.

The charge lasts a lot better on the iPhone 4s as well. With my iPhone 2 I found I was having to charge it every night especially if I had used it a lot during the day for surfing the web, texts, calls etc. However with my iPhone 4S I find the charge lasts as least 2 days and I would say my usage is the same or probably even more now that I know the charge does last longer. To charge the phone up takes about 10 minutes which is perfect and really quick which I love, especially as sometimes I forget to do it and then need to rush out the door. To know it only takes a few minutes to get full battery power again is great.

By far my favourite upgrade on this phone is the way the camera works. I have two children now and so I take about 20 photos a day of them on my camera phone. It's something I always have available for those once in a life time smiles you need to capture in the split second of a moment. The camera is just about instant, when I click the photo button the picture takes straight away which I love. Sometime a toddler will only keep still for a second so to have an instant camera on this phone is great. The quality of the photo is really good and just as good as a proper camera in my opinion. There is a little square that comes up that centres your photo and captures the main thing in the background you are trying to take which is a really good guide and indicator and makes I get my subject just right. Plus, and this is probably my favourite upgrade on this phone, you can press a little icon not he phone which will switch the image you see so if you are pointing the camera at you it will show a picture of you instead of what is in front of you, the mirror image so if I want to take a photo of me with my kids I can and I can actually see what the photo will look like instead of just guessing that I have the camera in the right place.

Now that I have used the iPhone 4 S for a couple of months I could never go back to another phone and it's definitely one I would recommend as an all round phone, camera, text instrument and game machine.

• Coloneljohn published 23/11/2011
    Very well reviewed. John
  • becky- published 15/11/2011
    Great review. :-)
  • mozzie76 published 15/11/2011
    Nice review!

Product Information : Apple iPhone 4S 32GB

Now you can use your voice to use your iPhone. Just talk to Siri as you would to a person: “Remind me to call mum when I get home” or “Do I need an umbrella?” Siri not only understands what you say, it knows what you mean.1 It works out the right apps to use to find the right answer. Then, just like a personal assistant, it answers you. Siri makes phone calls, sends messages, schedules meetings, sets reminders and more. How much more? Just ask, and Siri tells you that too.

Manufacturer: Apple

Cellular / Mobile Broadband Generation: 3G

Cellular / Type: Smartphone

Cellular / Operating System: iOS

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

SAR Value: 0.99 W/kg (body) / 0.99 W/kg (head)

Standby Time: Up to 200 hours

Talk Time: Up to 480 minutes, Up to 840 minutes

Supported Social Networks and Blogs: Twitter, Flickr, Facebook

Instant Messaging Services: Yes

Operating System: iOS 7, iOS 5

Input Device(s): Touch sensitive screen (multi-touch)

Display: LCD display - colour - 3.5" - 326 ppi - Retina Display, LCD display - colour - 3.5" - Retina Display

Wireless Interface: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Technology: CDMA2000 1X / GSM / WCDMA (UMTS)

Dimensions (WxDxH): 58.6 mm x 9.3 mm x 115.2 mm, 59 mm x 9 mm x 115 mm

Protection: Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, scratch resistant glass

Form Factor: Touch

Mobile Services: Video Call, YouTube, App Store, iTunes Store

Service Provider: T-Mobile, Sunrise, Not specified

Smartphone Memory: 32 GB

Mobile Broadband Generation: 3G

Product Type: Smartphone

Product Description: Apple iPhone 4S - black - 3G 32 GB - CDMA / GSM - smartphone, Apple iPhone 4S - white - 3G 32 GB - CDMA / GSM - smartphone

Playback Digital Standards: WAV, AAC, AIFF, PCM, Audible, MP3, Apple Lossless, AAC-LC, HE-AAC, Audible AAX, Audible AAX+ , AVI, MOV, M-JPEG, MPEG-4, H.264, M4V

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 8 Megapixel

Integrated Components: Digital camera, 2nd camera, digital player, GPS receiver, Wi-Fi hotspot, GLONASS receiver, voice recorder

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900 / CDMA2000 1X 1900/800

Colour: Black, White

Localisation: United Kingdom, Germany

Environmental Parameters

Humidity Range Operating: 5 - 95% (non-condensing)

Max Operating Temperature: 35 °C

Min Operating Temperature: 0 °C

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Stereo headset with remote control, USB cable, power adapter

Digital Camera

Features: Landscape/portrait mode, face detection, video recording, video stabilizer, tap to focus, photo and video geotagging, iSight camera

Video Recorder Resolutions: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)

Camera Light Source: LED light

White Balance: Automatic

Focus Adjustment: Automatic

Lens Aperture: F/2.4

Rear-facing Camera Resolution: 8 Megapixel

Processor

Type: Apple A5, A5

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, synchronization with PC, calculator, reminder, alarm clock

Communications

Communication Features: Mobile Email client, Internet browser

Wireless Interface: IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0

Data Transmission: GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSDPA, HSUPA

General

SAR Value: 0.99 W/kg (body) / 0.99 W/kg (head)

Body Material: Stainless steel, glass

Width: 58.6 mm, 59 mm

Protection: Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, scratch resistant glass

Form Factor: Touch

Product Type: Smartphone

MPN: 300007150, IPHONE4S32GB_BLK_SUNR, MD242B/A, MD245B/A, MD245, MD242D/A, MD242, MD245FD/A

Localisation: United Kingdom, Germany

Cellular

Input Device(s): Multi-touch

Application Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Twitter, FaceTime, Safari, Photos, Game Center, iTunes, Find My iPhone, Stocks, iMovie, CNN iReport, Vimeo, Newsstand, Weather, Siri, iCloud

SIM Card Type: Micro SIM

Operating System: iOS 7, iOS 5

Service Provider: T-Mobile, Sunrise, Not specified

Mobile Broadband Generation: 3G

Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900 / CDMA2000 1X 1900/800

Technology: CDMA2000 1X / GSM / WCDMA (UMTS)

Messaging & Internet

Mobile Services: Video Call, YouTube, App Store, iTunes Store

Downloadable Content: Audio files, video files, games, iTunes music collection, iBooks

Messaging & Data Features: PDF support, Microsoft Word support, Microsoft Excel support, Microsoft PowerPoint support

Supported Social Networks and Blogs: Twitter, Flickr, Facebook

Instant Messaging Services: Yes

Cellular Messaging Services: MMS, SMS

Phone Features

Additional Features: Picture editor, video editor, multitasking, FaceTime, adjustable volume limit, AirPlay wireless streaming, AirPrint wireless printing

Sensors: Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, three-axis gyro sensor, digital compass

Phone Functions: Speakerphone, voice control, call timer, conference call, voice dialing, vibrating alert

Polyphonic Ringer: Yes

Media Player

Supported Digital Video Standards: AVI, MOV, M-JPEG, MPEG-4, H.264, M4V

Supported Digital Audio Standards: WAV, AAC, AIFF, PCM, Audible, MP3, Apple Lossless, AAC-LC, HE-AAC, Audible AAX, Audible AAX+

Memory

User Memory: 32 GB

Navigation System

Navigation Software & Services: Maps+Compass

Navigation: A-GPS/GLONASS receiver, A-GPS receiver

Display

Display Languages: Danish, Hebrew, Hungarian, Czech, Croatian, Indonesian, Thai, Slovak, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, English, German, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Russian, Spanish, Dutch, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Romanian, Catalan, Japanese, Korean, Malay

Pixel Density: 326 ppi

Display Resolution: 960 x 640 pixels

Diagonal Size: 3.5"

Technology: Retina Display

Type: LCD display - colour

Features: Backlit, scratch resistant glass, Retina Display (326 ppi)

Multi-language Menu: Yes

Connections

Connector Type: Dock connector - 30 pin dock connector ¦ Headset jack - mini-phone 3.5mm

Battery

Run Time Details: Talk ( WCDMA ) - up to 480 min ¦ Standby - up to 200 hrs ¦ Continuous browsing ( WCDMA ) - up to 6 hrs ¦ Continuous browsing ( Wi-Fi ) - up to 9 hrs ¦ Playback ( video ) - up to 10 hrs ¦ Playback ( audio ) - up to 40 hrs

Technology: Lithium Ion