Apple iPod Nano 8 GB 4th Generation

Apple iPod Nano 8 GB 4th Generation

Review of "Apple iPod Nano 8 GB 4th Generation"

published 29/02/2012 | babycakes17
Member since : 19/06/2010
Pro easy to use, looks fab
Cons none!
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Look & Design
Video Quality

"iPod Nano"

I never really bothered with an MP3 player or iPod as I don't usually walk anywhere alone so didn't see much point in buying one but once my daughter started nursery I thought it would be nice to have something for the walk home. My brother gave me his old iPod but it was really on its last legs but I did like it so I was on the lookout for a new one. My friends told me that her sister was selling an iPod Nano for £30 so I snapped it up straightaway!

The iPod Nano I bought is a really stylish model which really doesn't mean all that much to me, as long as it plays music I am happy and wasn't really bothered about a particular type. It is a small thin gadget which is approximately 4 inches long so its definately not an intrusive size and can be carried easily. On the front of the iPod there is a rectangular screen which takes up around half of the front. Underneath the screen you will find the function button which is a circular button which is used to work the iPod. The outer circle of the button has the menu, skip and play/pause so it covers everything you need. The play/pause button is also the on/off switch. The middle of the circle is like an "enter" button which you can press when choosing options in the menu. The iPod is really lightweight and it almost feels as though you are carrying nothing!

When turning on the iPod you are taken straight to the menu which gives you various options:

Music: When clicking on the music option you will see a list of further options such as playlists, artists, songs and genres. This means you can easily scroll through the Ipod for a particular song or artist. I often search for certain artists and then I can just listen to their songs all together.

Videos: I have never personally used this function but you can download tv or movies to the Ipod and watch them when you are on the go. It doesn't interest me to do this as I think it would drive me batty watching something on such a tiny screen.

Photo's: Using Itunes you can put photo's onto your iPod if you so wish, I haven't done this either!

Podcasts: You can download or save podcasts with this function.

Extras: Under this function in the menu you can find an alarm clock, calendar, clock, contacts, games, notes, screen lock and stopwatch should you need to use any. I personally don't use any of them as I tend to use my mobile for all of them.

Settings: Shuffle, repeat, playback, date and time and language are all in this function for you to set up your Ipod.

Shuffle songs: Literally shuffles all the songs on the iPod. I use this function every time I use the Ipod as I like a real mix of songs

At the top of the iPod you will find a small button which locks it so when it isn't in use you can lock it to prevent it from being switched on when in your bag or pocket and draining the battery which has happened to me on numerous occasions - I now always lock it!

Using the iPod for the first time requires access to iTunes so you can download all the music from your computer. I have all my cd's in iTunes now so it was simple to transfer them onto the iPod. Simply plug the USB cable from the iPod into the computer and iTunes will automatically sync the music over. Each time you plug the iPod in to charge up iTunes will sync again so you are always ensuring that it is up to date. I am not technically minded at all so I was a little worried about having like this but it is so simple to use and it is very straight forward to set up and use. I admit I don't use the iPod to its full ability but I merely wanted something to listen to music on and this does that job perfectly.

The iPod has 8gb memory and I currently have just over 1000 songs on so there is still plenty of room for more songs though I know if I had films on that would take up much more memory. There were no earphones with the iPod when I purchased it so I did need to buy some and I initially presumed they had to be Apple earphones though I am pleased to say that actually any work though I found cheaper ones affected the sound quality somewhat. I would have liked the iPod to play music without the earphones in like my friends does so when i'm at work and its quiet I could have played music without being seen to have headphones in!

I am really impressed with the iPod Nano, the sound quality is fantastic, it is easy to use and it was an absolute bargain. It is so easy to use that my four year old can work it alone and has been able to since she was around three and a half once I let her(!). Obviously she can't read the words but she can easily skip through the songs to find one she likes.

There are obviously newer and better models now available on the market but you can find this iPod on Ebay for around £89.99. I am thrilled that I was able to get my iPod for such a bargain, and use it a lot more than I thought I would, especially now I can plug it into the car and listen to it instead of cd's or the radio.

Thank you for reading my review.

• supersonic75 published 15/03/2012
    E x
  • louisechackett published 29/02/2012
    Really good write up
  • angelboouk123 published 29/02/2012
    excellent

Product Information : Apple iPod Nano 8 GB 4th Generation

For those about to rock, we give you nine amazing colours. But that’s only part of the story. Feel the curved, all-aluminium and glass design and you won’t want to put iPod nano down. The new Genius feature turns iPod nano into your own highly intelligent, personal DJ. It creates playlists by finding songs in your library that go great together. The accelerometer comes to iPod nano. Give it a shake to shuffle your music. Turn it sideways to view Cover Flow. And play games designed with your moves in mind.

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

Battery: Player - rechargeable - Lithium Ion

Interface Supported: USB 2.0

Headphones: Headphones - binaural - ear-bud - stereo

Audio Specifications: Digital Player - Response Bandwidth - 20 - 20000 Hz

iPod Generation: 4G

Equaliser: Digital graphic

Playback Digital Standards: WAV, AAC, AIFF, Audible, MP3, Apple Lossless , MPEG-4, H.264, MOV , BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, PSD (Mac only), TIFF

Product Type: Digital player flash based

Built-In Radio: Without Built-In-Radio, without Built-In Radio

Digital Storage Media: Built-In Flash Memory

Flash Memory / Installed Size: 8192

Audio System / Type: MP3 Player

EAN: 5000008938751, 5000008938997, 5000008729694, 8859092580004, 8859092408834, 5027631062462, 5027631062431, 0885909259632, 0885909259250, 0885909258451, 5000008733103, 5027631062493, 5027631062455, 5027631062479, 5027631062486, 5027631062509, 5027631062448, 0885909240944, 0885909258864, 0885909258062, 0885909260867, 0885909260065, 0885909258468, 0885909259663, 0885909259267

Music Playtime in Hours: 24

Storage Capacity in MB: 8192

Storage Medium: Built-In Memory

Photo Viewer: Yes

MPEG4 Playback: with MPEG4 Playback

MPN: MB745ZG/A, MB742ZK/A, MB735ZK/A, MB598ZO/A, MB739ZO/A, MB732ZO/A, MB754ZO/A, MB748ZO/A, MB735ZO/A, MB745ZO/A, MB742ZO/A

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 1 year ¦ Technical support - phone consulting - 90 days

Service & Support: 1 year warranty

System Requirements

Peripheral / Interface Devices: USB port (compatible with 2.0 specification)

OS Required: Microsoft Windows Vista, Apple MacOS X 10.4.11 or later, Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Software Requirements: iTunes 8 or later

Battery

Battery Life Details: Digital playback - up to 24 hour(s) ¦ Video playback - up to 4 hour(s)

Recharge Time: 3 hour(s)

Run Time (Up To): 24 hour(s)

Battery Enclosure Type: Integrated

Battery: Player - rechargeable - Lithium Ion

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: USB cable, docking station adapter

Cables Included: 1 x USB cable

Connections

Connector Type: Docking station ¦ Headphones ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm )

Headphones

ID3 Tags Support: Yes

Equaliser

Equalizer Type: Digital graphic

Built-in Display

Display Menu Language: Danish, Hungarian, Czech, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), English, German, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Russian, Spanish, Dutch, Greek, Turkish, Japanese, Korean

Diagonal Size: 2"

Digital Photo Playback: Yes

Timer: Stopwatch, sleep, wake

Built-in clock: Yes, alarm, stopwatch

Flash Memory: 8 GB

Features: Battery level indication, volume limiter, motion sensor, calendar, built-in games, USB 2.0 compatibility, Cover Flow, Genius technology, Nike + iPod support

Equaliser: Yes