labellavi... 5

labellavita1992

About me: 21. University graduate. Beauty blogger. ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspo t.co.uk

Member since:02.03.2011

Another Amazing iPod from Apple!

21.11.2011

Advantages:
Almost everything !

Disadvantages:
Touch screen unresponsive over time, updates can be really glitchy, price?

Sound Quality

1. jesi
  2. danielalong
  3. frankiecesca

Apple iPod Touch 4th generation 32gb

This is my 4th iPod now (I have had the ipod nano 1st gen, ipod nano 3rd gen, ipod touch 1st gen and now the 4th gen ipod touch). I also have a apple mac (the previous version to the one out now). So I think it is safe to say that I know about apple products, in particular the ipod range! I have had this ipod now since january 2011.

- Specifications

• Wi-Fi enabled, bluetooth
  • 3.5 inch multi touch display
  • HD video recording and photographs with the back camera
  • Built in speaker and microphone
  • Up to 40 hours music play back when fully charged and up to 7 hours video play back when fully charged
  • Ambient light sensor and accelerometer
  • Available in 8gb, 32gb and 64gb versions

- Appearance, size and ergonomics

The ipod has a very sleek appearance - more so than the previous models, as this 4th generation ipod touch is really thin and is slightly smaller than the first ipod touch. The ipod touch 4th gen has the majority of the same features as the first gen. The size of the ipod is really good, as it is quite large but it is thin, sleek and easy to hold. The ipod is large enough to be able to type on it and view images/video really well but it is not so large as to make it cumbersome to carry around and use. The ipod fits well in my hand, it is easy to use and it is a little bit heavy but this makes it more stable and secure when using in my opinion - although it also means if you drop it, it could break easier.

- Screen, menu and ease of navigation

The screen for this ipod is 3.5inch (diagonal) and it is touch screen - hence the name. The screen is bright, colourful and the images/video when viewed on the screen are very sharp, crisp and crystal clear. The only menu on this ipod is the home screen menu. You will have two screens to start with - the search screen (which you will find if you swipe your finger across the screen to the right) and the main screen with all of your apps and icons on (this is the screen when you switch the device on will always appear first). If you have a lot of apps then you will have more screens to fit them on, the other screens can be viewed by swiping you finger across the screen - swiping your finger from the right side of the screen to the left. I have quite a few apps so I have three screens of apps/icons but you can have a lot more screens. The navigation on this device is very simple, the only way to navigate with this ipod is to use the home button at the bottom of the device (this takes you back to the main screen with your apps) and the other navigation tool is the touch screen - you use the touch screen to browse through webpages, flick through your apps, to click on things and also for the touch screen keyboard.

Overall, I like the design on the ipod, it is very easy to use and the screen is great. The navigation methods are also very simple and while the keyboard takes a bit of time to get used to, it does become very easy to use. The only thing I do not like about the screen is that after while of using the ipod the touch screen sensitivity decreases, which means that I end up jabbing my finger at the touch screen to make it click on something - this happened to my ipod touch 3rd gen (my previous ipod before this 4th gen).

- Using my iPod touch - typing and the touch screen keyboard

You can use the touch screen keyboard to type in passwords, to search for things on the device, to search the internet, to write notes, on social networking sites and for emails - therefore you need to be able to use it and also to be comfortable using the touch screen keyboard. At first I personally found the keyboard fairly easy to use but it did take a lot time to type anything as I kept accidentally clicking on another letter, instead of the one I wanted to click on - and for the three previous ipods I had owned, this was the first one in which I had to used the keyboard for many things. After a few weeks of using the ipod I found the touch screen keyboard very easy to use and even though you can click on another letter fairly easily, it is still quite quick to type on. One thing I do not like about the keyboard (as well as the fact that it is easy to click on a letter you didn’t want to click on) is that when I am typing and I spell the word wrong the device automatically changes the misspelt word to what the device thinks is the correct word - which works most of the time but sometimes it changes the word even though it was correct in the first place - for example, with some ones name. The device changing the misspelt word is fine but when the device volume is on and my head phones are not plugged into the ipod, a disembodied computerized voice is audible - it says
Pictures of Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4 GEN)
Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4 GEN) Apple iPod Models
Apple iPod Models (my sisters, my mums, my dads and mine - left to right).
out loud the word that the misspelt word has been changed to - this can be a bit embarrassing when the room is quiet at university and then my ipod as I am typing says “psychopath” out load, as I had googled it and I am in the second year of a psychology degree so it wasn’t out of place for me to google it for my studies but not everyone knows this, which leads to quite a few strange looks! So I would make sure you either have your headphones in while typing or that you turn the volume down, as to avoid awkward or potentially embarrassing situations...

- iTunes and Audio

Firsly, iTunes. I have been using iTunes since I received my first ipod - about six years ago and it has improved since I first started using it. iTunes is very easy to use, you just download it from the apple uk site and it is suitable for use with a windows or Apple computers and you will be then able to music (singles, albums or music videos), tv episodes, films, books and you can also buy apps from itunes on your computer. iTunes is great in my opinion although I find that some of the prices of songs is a little bit expensive and some songs are more expensive than others which I do not like - unless the song I want to buy is one of the 59p songs! Once you have downloaded songs off itunes they will be automatically placed in your “purchased” section on your itunes - from there you can create a playlist (which is basically just a folder in which you have certain songs) and play the songs. You can also add albums and cds you already own to itunes, you just insert the cd and itunes will start to download all of the songs on the cd to your itunes. One thing I find useless about itunes is “iTunes DJ” which is located at the left hand side of the iTunes window and all it does is “automatically picks songs to make a continuous mix of your music”. I do not like iTunes DJ as I would prefer to pick what song I want to listen to.

Now the audio quality, the audio quality for the internal speakers on the ipod is fantastic, the sounds is very clear, easy to listen to and it does sound as it does with earphones in. Me and my sister watched an episode of Bones in the car yesterday and I squished the head rest down on the seat in front of me onto my ipod so that it would stay in place without me having to hold it - from boring to an in car tv system in 20 seconds! And the sound quality and clarity was fantastic, as was the screen clarity. *Tip* look out for the 59p songs, 99p film rentals, film clips which are free and the song of the week which is free too!

- The camera and video recording

The video recorder, as with the video recorder on my blackberry and HTC is not useful for me - I do not use the video recorder at all, so for me this is a pointless feature but it can record HD videos and it is really easy to use. To find the video recorder you have to go onto the camera icon as the video recorder does have an icon of its own. You just slide the slider bar at the bottom of the camera screen to the video recorder side and you can start recording. Once you have recorded a video you can email it or upload it straight to youtube from your ipod - if you have a wireless connection.

The camera is a feature than I do use, not all of the time, but it is useful and it produces good quality photographs - not as good as the HTC Sensation but still very good. There are two cameras on this ipod - a front facing camera, so you can take images of yourself or what I use it for is to check my make up if I don’t have a mirror and there is a back facing camera - which produces far higher quality photos than the front facing camera. The only reason I use the front facing camera is to check my make up as I do not carry around a mirror with me but other than that I do not use it - but if I used the facetime app on this ipod then obviously the front facing camera would be essential. The back facing is what I use the most and it is really good, and also really easy to use - you access it using the camera app and then you just point and shoot! I like to take pictures with this and then manipulate them using the many camera/photograph apps that I have downloaded onto my ipod as they have many different effects and I can change the photos to make them look unique. If you have a wireless printer then you can print the photos on your ipod wirelessly, you can email them straight from your ipod - you can also make the photos you have taken your lock screen or home screen background.

Overall, the video recorder is not useful for me as I do not record videos and I do not use the facetime video calling app either. The camera is really good although the back facing camera is far superior to the front facing camera. The camera apps are as really good as you don’t have any effects with the actual camera.

*Tip* If you see an image or webpage on the internet, facebook, notes or on your camera roll (your photo gallery) and you want take a screen shot of the page you can by: pressing the home button and the on/off button together for one second and then letting go of both buttons, you will hear a noise which sounds like a camera taking a picture and then you will have a screen shot of that page! You can then find this picture on the ‘photos’ icon on the home screen.

- Apps and the app store

There are some apps/icons that are already on your ipod when you buy it, such as the facetime, mail, youtube, maps, weather, calculator, game centre, voice memos, calender, notes and safari (internet) apps. My favorite already downloaded apps include: youtube: as it is a quick way of going onto youtube and watching videos. Weather is another app I look at almost everyday although I find for where I live in manchester it is not very accurate. Maps is useful as the ipod has gps so it can zone into your location at the time and show you where you are on the map - which now that I think of it, it will be really useful if you are lost somewhere! The notes app is great for...taking notes if you don’t have a pen and paper, which I did once in my geology A level class which received strange looks from my tutor but after explaining that I was taking notes as I didn’t have a pen, she seemed quite impressed and intrigued.

You can download so many other apps from the Apple “App store” which is a pre-downloaded icon on your home screen. There are many apps to chose from including: Camera/photograph effect apps (of which I have downloaded six, as they are really good and 5/6 were free). The games I have downloaded include Rock Band (which is a great game) and grand theft auto china town - the “lite” version. “Lite” versions of apps means that it is basically a demo of the game and they are usually free as well. Some of the other free apps I have downloaded are as follows: Elle, 4oD catch up, Google earth, Amazon, eBay, Microsoft photosynth (which is fantastic), the lush app and a few more. The download time for all of the apps that I have is very quick - about a minute or so.

*Tip* You can move and delete you apps without having to connect your pc, you can do this by: press on one of the apps - keep your finger on it - and after a couple of seconds all of the apps will have a little black cross at one corner (so you can delete them) and all of the apps will shake and jiggle about, which is a little odd but now you can move the apps around. To move the apps around you just drag them to where ever you want them to go - even onto another screen.

The only negatives about some of the apps and the apps store is the app updates. When you download any app, the app store will tell you when there are updates for your apps - this will appear as a little number in a red circle on the app store icon. I do not like the updates for apps, as I find that the updates can take a while to download and they some times do not work. But other than some of the problems I have had with updating my apps, especially recently, I really like the apps (especially the free ones) and the app store is good too.

- Battery and updates

I charge my ipod about twice/three times a week and I use my ipod every single day! So the battery is really good, as it lasts well and I do not have to charge my ipod any more than three times in a week. I find it does not take very long to charge my ipod fully - it probably only takes about two hours, maybe three. You can charge the ipod by connecting it via the cable you get with every ipod to your PC or you can buy a ipod mains charger which are very cheap and charge it that way - which is the way I charge mine.

*Tip* To increase the longevity of the battery I always keep the brightness quite low, although when it is sunny you can not see the screen very well, but it makes the battery last longer. Also I turn my ipod off (with the button on the top of the ipod) as it preserves the battery but it also keeps the music playing normally. There is also an app called “Battery” where it tells you how long your battery has left before it needs charging again, for example, it tells you how many hours of music/video play back you have left. And you can also buy ipod in car chargers too - they are very cheap on eBay.

Now, updating my ipod. The only way to fully update any ipod is to connect it to a PC, the updates just improve the ipods performance overall, so they sound like a good thing, right? Wrong, in the past year or so I find that when ever there is a new ipod update and I update my ipod with it, there is always a problem with my ipod after updating. This new update is the same - my sister updated her iphone (the same software as the ipod touch) about a week ago with the new update and the update has deleted all of her apps of her iphone - I will probably be able to fix it, as I always do, but I find these updates are usually glitchy - so I would wait until the glitches have been found, then update my ipod.

- Additional information (personalizing and the internet)

You can personalize your ipod to make it really unique, for example, you can change your lock screen and home screen backgrounds, you can assign photos to your contacts, you can download the apps that suit your lifestyle and personality - and you can buy covers, cases and skins that make your ipod as unique and crazy as you want it to be. I personally don’t like a case or cover for my ipod but I did have a ipod skin for one of my previous ipod nanos, which was really nice and easy to use. You can buy ipod covers, case and skin off ebay and amazon for good prices.

Also the internet on this ipod is really easy to use - for those of you who are not familiar with apple products, the internet on this ipod is under the icon “safari” which is Apples version of Windows explorer. Safari is easy to use and you can have many webpages and tabs open - there is an icon at the bottom of the internet screen which says how many tabs you have open and you can switch between them easily. You can also zoom in/out by ‘pinching’ the screen, this is the same for zooming in/out of photographs.

- Which iPod is best for me?

*The iPod Shuffle: this is the ipod for those you just like music (and podcasts/audio books), as it does not have a screen and in my opinion it is probably the simplest to use. This is the cheapest of all of the ipod at £40 but it is only 2gb. It is available in 5 colours.

*The iPod Nano: this ipod is good for music, podcasts, audio books and photos as it does have a screen but it is quite small, as the ipod itself is small. This ipod is not for those who want to watch video, as it does not allow for video playback. This ipod along with the ipod shuffle will be good for athletic/sporty types of people as it is lightweight, small, it has a clip to clip onto clothing etc and the nano has Nike+ which means that it can act as a pedometer (it also has walk and run support). It is available in 7 colours.

*The iPod Classic: this ipod has a whopping 160gb of storage capability, which is the largest of all of the ipod available. This ipod is for those who have a passion for music and have a lot of music to put on their ipod. It can also support tv episodes, films, videos and photos, like the ipod touch. This iPod in my opinion is like the Incredible Hulk/rugged outdoor version on the iPod touch but the screen is about half the size of the iPod Touch’s screen.

*The iPod Touch (4th gen 32gb): Overall, I would recommend this iPod to anyone as I find it is a great all rounder. It is a great music player, you can watch videos and tv episodes, you can browse the internet and check your email. It also has great apps, two cameras and a video recorder!

- Price and availability

Three out of my four ipods that I have owned were gifts but I bought this one for myself in January 2011. This ipod for the 32gb version (which is obviously the one I have) is priced at: £249 from Apple UK, £219.99 at currys and £207.95 on amazon. Also if you buy from the apple store (online) you can get the back of you ipod engraved for free with a sentence or phrase. I only got this for one of my ipods in which my parents added “Heathers pod” to it, which was sweet even though it makes me sound like some kind of an alien!

Conclusions

Positives

• Very easy to use and navigate around - although the keyboard will take a little bit of getting used to
  • Sleek design and the device is easy to hold
  • Screen and audio clarity is fantastic
  • iTunes and App world are great - although there are some flaws in my opinion
  • The back facing camera is great but the front facing camera is not very good and I personally do not use it - if you are going to use the video calling facetime app then you will use it though
  • Volume controls at the side of the device are very conveniently located
  • Lots of apps to choose from including free apps such as facebook, ebay and amazon (and there are lots of camera/photo effect apps)
  • Battery longevity is great, even though I use my ipod multiple times everyday
  • Easy to charge, it can be personalized and there are lots of accessories for it such as covers, cases and skins (stickers that cover all of the ipod)
  • Engraving and there are four ipods to choose from - two of which come in bright colours!

Negatives
  • The price may put some people off as it is fairly pricy but in my experience they last for years
  • The iPod updates can be glitchy and the app updates can take ages to download
  • The video recorder is useless for me, as I do not use it - but others may like this feature and the front facing camera is not that great

Thank you for reading my review - this review will be posted on dooyoo under my username tigger1992 as an updated review

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this review’s content

candzjay 23.01.2012 20:53

E from me! Such a thorough and informative review. xx

Coloneljohn 28.11.2011 20:15