Are British teachers justified in taking strike action?

Are British teachers justified in taking strike action?

Review of "Are British teachers justified in taking strike action?"

published 28/03/2004 | LisaJK
Member since : 27/10/2003
Good
Pro -
Cons -

"Children will be punished"

This is going to be blunt. If easily offended or if a teacher please do not read, this is my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone, although it probably will. BE WARNED.

I think it is a cheek to want more money. Teachers get mountains of paper work, so does every f****r else. You go into all kinds of prefessions knowing what your salary will be. If you don't like it don't do it. Why doesn't the whole nation go on strike. Lets see if we can get some more money for over working and too much paper work, it just isn't goin to happen.

Why should our kids be punished, there is enough truenting, teacher training days on the day after the holidays I mean whats that all about, anyone know? and enough half term/term holidays, why should kids miss out on more days off.

I appologise if I am hitting a nerve or am being a bit forward with how I am writing this review.

If everyone was to go on strike which is what seems to be happening these days, there would be a total shut down of the country. Everyone wants more money, just because you think that your job is better and should be better paid than anyone else doesn't mean you are really entitled to it.

This isn't just aimed at the teaching profession it is aimed at a lot of professions. I am a single parent and I need more money but I don't go on strike to get it, I work harder and progress, I do my best and hopefully I will receive a rise someday.

Do you get paid for strikes because if you don't then you can't be destitute yet or you wouldn't beable to afford to strike.

Thanks for reading, any comments welcome, although please forgive my abruptness in this op.

• joycarole published 27/09/2004
    The five training days a year in this country come out of what were originally the holidays. When Kenneth Baker brought them in, teachers had five days deducted from their annual leave. It is a common misconception that training days are some kind of bonus for teachers while pupils somehow lose out.
  • m.lyon published 29/03/2004
    Although I can see your point, if you are a teacher or have a teacher as a partner then you begin to understand where they come from. My missus-to-be works until 7pm every night doing extra prep work and planning so that the children get as much out of it as possible. She often works 10-4 on a Saturday too, again unpaid. We have to take holidays in the summer break (where it can cost upto twice as much) and out of that 6 week break, I can guarntee that she will be working towards teh next year for 3 of those weeks - again that will be unpaid. It is a huge misconception that when teachers are not in school that they don't work. I think teachers are grossly underpaid, but then again I think that nurses, police, and fire services are too - that raises a question of whether they should be allowed to strike. We are getting married in june next year - not school holidays as we refuse to have that dictated to us. problem then is that we have to wait 6 weeks until the honeymoon in the summer break, and to get 4 days off around the wedding she is having to apply for unpaid leave with no guarntee that she will get it. Marc
  • eljefe published 28/03/2004
    I personally agree with you up to a point, as a teacher I see my first duty is to the students I teach, and to provide them with a quality edication. Therefore I would not strike over money, I see it as a duty to go to work. That said, there is an article on the BBC website that says teaching is the most stressful profession, a lot of colleagues are run down, irritable and stressed. There is however, a culture of moaning in the profession that needs to be eradicated. I dislike passionately the idea of belonging to a 'union' I am a professional, not a miner or dock worker. I would love to see a BMA style organisation (British Medical Assoc) or like a Teacher's Association to cirumvent the nasty adversarial leftist slants the main 'unions' take. But I need them, if a kid made an allegation I need their legal support...but I would never go on strike. I would rather resign and go teach in another country.

Product Information : Are British teachers justified in taking strike action?

Listed on Ciao since: 13/07/2003