Argos Catalogue

Argos Catalogue

Review of "Argos Catalogue"

published 22/07/2001 | kano
Member since : 22/03/2001
Pro huge range, reasonable prices, storecard with instant interest free, good products, 16 day money back policy
Cons staff could smile, trying to do too much (insurance??)
Delivery time
Wide range/choice of products?
Helpfulness of Staff
Repair/Replacement Service

"an everyday store for everyday products"

We’ve all been there at least once, we’ve all seen the ads – ‘Whatever you want….blah blah’….. why would I shop at Argos?? Let me count the reasons…..

Personally, I think Argos is THE lazy buggers best friend! That means I am right at home there hahaha. Every quarter or so there is a new catalogue (made from several trees) to collect. Its always brighter and ‘packed with more products at cheaper prices’. A claim that is actually fulfilled every time.

This is not a fancy shop, its not your John Lewis or your Marks and Sparks. It’s an everyday store for everyday stuff. So long as you remember that, you’ll find Argos quite a good place to deal with.

Now, I wouldn’t buy a TV there and I wouldn’t buy a lounge there. I’d go to a specialist. What I would and do buy there is everyday stuff (again I say it). Hairdryers, kettles, cutlery, crockery, mops, sheets, you name it. They actually have a huge range of items in the catalogue, including outdoor, power tools, furniture, housewares (HUGE!), electronics, audio/video, jewellery and even toys.

When I first encountered Argos (being from Australia it was only 2 years ago) I expected them to be really cheap and tacky. I got quite a surprise as they are clearly NOT! Now I tend to flick through the catalogue first when I am looking for something. Having just bought a house, we have tended to get a few things from there (recently a microwave and a new Dyson – as we do not deal with Comet – see my other op – grrrrr).

The stores seem quite small for the amount of goods they stock. I found out this because they stock everything ‘upstairs’ in a kind of warehouse. This is a new concept to me, as in OZ we have no catalogue shops. Hmmmm I thought, don’t get to see things, what if the colour isn’t what I thought, what if its just plain wrong. Well, the good people at Argos thought of that, 16-day money back guarantee. With the exception of some goods (earrings and things) you can return anything within 16 days (quite a long time) for a full refund, no fuss no bother. On the most part I have found this to be the case as well.

I particularly find their new storecard really, really useful! I know I know, the interest you say….. FORGET THE INTEREST. Listen very carefully, I’ll say this only ten times (hahaha). If you spend £195 at once in store (not one item, but at one time), you can choose to take a 6 month interest free term WITHOUT APPLYING AGAIN. What I hear you say, How? The card offers this feature, they ask you at the checkout, you simply say yes 6 months interest free. GREAT. When your statement arrives it has the interest free purchases separately to the normal purchases. This is particularly handy at Christmas, or for us because we are moving!

So, a store with an ever increasing product range and some great systems. DO I have anything bad to say??? Well, yes, I do. The queues sometimes sh*t me right off, so I have started using the website’s ‘click and collect’. Check your item is in stock, then reserve it at your local store. You get a special number to take straight in and pay and collect your goods – perfect.

I don't like Index as much as their products just seem cheaper....

I also think their staff are not all that, but its no the kind of shop you really expect service is it? So lucky for them I won’t mark them down on this. When you return goods they don’t seem to give you grief, that’s the only time you really need service from them. A smile wouldn’t go astray though! Hahaha

Overall, I have to say I am pretty impressed, and see no reason why I shouldn’t recommend everybody shop there. Just remember what I have said, and you should have no problems. Thanks.

• jane35 published 25/07/2003
    i think kano`s opinion was spot on ,argos are excellent for bargains ,the products are cheaper than any where else ,but ido find that in our local store there is ever hardly any staff, there`s usually only 1 person on the till ,hence the queues.ther`s normally quite a wait for the item you`ve ordered. but because its so cheap i will continue to shop there.I`d rather wait a bit longer than pay more !
  • witchita published 25/07/2003
    brilliant op. and quite funny, and I agree wholeheartedly with every word! Just bought a microwave from them, and wanted to make sute it had a turntable and they opened box and checked it out for me! Love Argos!
  • tia_bailey published 01/03/2003