Argos Catalogue

Argos Catalogue

Review of "Argos Catalogue"

published 01/09/2001 | princesssoapy
Member since : 02/06/2001
Pro More stores than rival!
Cons Can be more expensive on certain items!
Delivery time
Wide range/choice of products?
Helpfulness of Staff

"Brighter shopping in Argos"

I simply love to get the new Argos catalogue as soon as its released and I just can't wait to browse all the pages to find out what's new and what's been removed and also what has either gone down or up in price.

The new catalogue has been out for several weeks now this is for the autumn and winter 2001 it has 956 pages, including covers and claims to have put the prices down on over 1200 items.

Every year I am asked by family members what I want my children to have for their birthdays and Christmas and every year I turn to Argos, Index, Toys R us, Mother care and Early Learning Centre, to write a comprehensive list of all the best toys and games for my little darlings. This seems to suit everyone and I always give half the Argos list to my Dad and the otter half to my mother in-law, as Argos seem to have the most choice in toys!

I also compare the prices of the items with Index just in case they are cheaper, but not all the products are the same.

Here I can give you examples of three things that are identical in every way apart from price.

Musical Jewellery Box

*ARGOS* ~ Page 76 ~ item 4 ~ £8.99

same item in

*INDEX* ~ Page 151 ~ item 18 ~ £9.99

Index does have 28 jewellery boxes over two pages where as Argos only has 15.

Dyson DC05 Absolute plus turbo brush

*ARGOS* ~ Page 294 ~ item 5 ~ £233.99

same item in

*INDEX* ~ Page 449 ~ in bottom right hand corner ~ £259.00

Now I was going to compare the prices on the new DC07 upright from Dyson but INDEX don't have in there catalogue!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Alphabet Pal from Leapfrog

*ARGOS* ~ Page 814 ~ item 4 ~ £19.99

and the same item in

*INDEX* ~ Page 769 ~ item 16 ~ £17.99

This was a difficult task to try to find a toy exactly the same with a big price difference.

Most of the toys and indeed most if not all other items that are the same in both catalogues are often only 24 to 49 pence cheaper in either catalogue, but for the majority of products they do tend to sell different models I presume this is so they aren't compared price wise, as it makes it difficult to do so.

As you can see from the above price comparisons Argos tends to better for these items but I would still take a look in both catalogues before deciding which shop to go to.

The other advantage with Argos is that it does have a shop in the town where I live but of course you can shop online at www.argos.co.uk or even through interactive if you have Telewest, NTL or open.

So whatever your preference you can do some brighter shopping at Argos.

• KarenUK published 03/09/2001
    I love Argos too. My kids love looking through the catalogues & making lists of what they want for birthdays or Xmas :-)
  • Squidget published 03/09/2001
    I like Argos it is such an easy way to shop and conveneint. We do not have an Index in Edinburgh so I take the Argos prices as they come! Great op ma dear!! :o)
  • Ulysses published 02/09/2001
    Thanks for the price checks, very interesting. I like the additions catalogue as well. It's great for present ideas.

Product Information : Argos Catalogue