Type: Lamp - Floor Lamp

Review of "Argos ColourMatch Satin Stick Floor Lamp"

published 10/08/2017 | Katierhiain
Member since : 20/05/2016
Pro Stylish, variety of colours, reasonably priced
Cons Bulb not included

"A product that really lights up the room"

Argos ColourMatch Satin Stick Floor Lamp

This is a lamp that is simple in design, yet influential over the character of a room. This products minimalistic appearance proves effective in the sense that it will work well with any style of room - and with a variety of different colours to decide from, you can rest assured there's one suited to your chosen colour scheme.

Pricing and availability

I purchased my lamp from Argos for £24.99. Amazon seem to have them for sale too, but at the inflated price of around £44.99, making Argos the much cheaper option. However, it doesn't come with a bulb and so this needs to be purchased separately which is an additional cost of anywhere between £6.99 and £26.99 if purchased from Argos, though I bought mine from the local store at the end of my street for around £4.00.
Packaging

The colourmatch satin stick floor lamp comes in a square white box, with colourmatch written across it in multicoloured text. On the front of the box is four different coloured squares, with the lamp portrayed inside each one. This provides effective marketing, in my opinion, as it shows potential customers how this particular lamp would look in a variety of different colour schemes, allowing people to make a decision on whether or not it will complement their style of room.
The lamp is disassembled inside of the box, so to reduce packaging and increase the ease of transportation. Cardboard pieces and bubble wrap protect the product inside, keeping the pieces separated and protecting the product from damage.
The Lamp

Appearance - This modern lamp is available in a variety of colours, which promises something for everyone. If you're looking for something warm, then you may enjoy the light chocolatey brown that is 'café mocha', or perhaps a colour that is clean and cold such as 'Flint grey', or 'cotton'. For those wanting something a little more daring and bold, there is also 'Jet black', 'chocolate' and 'poppy red'.
The base and stand of each lamp is chrome, with a long black wire and in-line switch extending from the base. The lamp shade is a round, cylinder shape, which is open on both the top and bottom.

Structure - This is a fairly tall lamp, measuring at around 160cm tall and standing just a little taller than me! The lamp shade has a diameter of 35cm, with the base measuring a diameter of roughly 24cm. The wire extending from the base is a convenient length of around 195cm long, with an in-line foot switch attached to it for convenient use. Adding to the convenience, it's extremely lightweight at just 3.5kg, making it easy to transport and reposition. The base and stand are chrome, but the material of the shade is unspecified.

Bulb - No bulb is included with your purchase, so you'd need to buy one separate. It's suitable for use with low energy bulbs, with a maximum wattage of 12. This is stated on a small sticker on the inside of the lamp shade.

Assembly - This floor lamp doesn't come ready assembled, but rather in separate parts. The stand is in three parts, the base is another separate piece, with the lamp shade being the final piece. All of these easily fit together, with the three sections of the stand easily screwing together, it took us only a minute to assemble and you aren't able to tell that the stand is three separate pieces. The shade easily screws on and can also be easily removed if needed.

Table lamp - Although not directly related to this specific product, I thought I'd also make aware the existence of a smaller version of this lamp. For those who enjoy the simple, yet elegant style of this lamp, but require something suitable for perhaps a bedside table, a smaller version is available from Argos. These smaller lamps are just under 40cm tall, available in the same colours, costing just £8.99 each or £15 for two.

My experience

We recently moved into one of our smaller rooms so that our daughter could have the bigger room, so space for all her toys. However, the smaller room has a light shade that is fixed to the roof and my dad is the only one who knows how to remove it. So whilst we were waiting for my dad to be available to remove it for us, the bulb decides to break thus leaving us in the dark. So, our solution was to purchase a floor lamp to use for light in the meantime.
We didn't want something that was too expensive, but also didn't want to just go for the cheapest option and end up with something flimsy and unattractive. At £24.99 I felt this was the best option as not only was it a very reasonable price, it was also appealing and of a contemporary design. It's simple style assured me it would match my room without distracting too much from the rest of it, whilst the light grey colour paired perfectly with my yellow and grey theme.
Conclusion

I've owned this lamp for roughly just under a year now and it's still in perfect condition and standing strong. I'd highly recommend this lamp for the fact that it's a great price, great value and a lovely looking lamp. It really brings together our room, adding a little something extra, and with a variety of different colours you can't go wrong!

• jb0077 published 03/09/2017