kismet 4

kismet

Member since:22.04.2001

ARGOS ONLINE AN EASY WAY TO SHOP

23.05.2008

Advantages:
delivered to your door

Disadvantages:
you dont always get what you ordered !

18 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. chattell
  2. belfin
  3. supercityfan

After reading a few reviews of others experiences with Argos, I thought I would do my own review as I have ordered a lot of things from them in this way for convenience.

Argos.co.uk is the online version of the catalogue. I find it easier to browse through a paper catalogue, then get online and order what I want.

Argos.co.uk sell a wide range of products, including furniture, jewellery, toys, kitchen ware, bedding, garden equipment, cameras, televisons, the list is endless.

I first started to use argos.co.uk when we got married. I made up a wedding present list and put online and friends and family could then buy items directly from Argos and it was logged on the website. I loved going into it to see what we had been bought! We were given loads of Argos vouchers for presents so that we could buy some furniture with them. Vouchers cannot be used online, however you can go into a store and place your order for home delivery.

Delivery costs £4.95 with a further £2.95 for a saturday delivery. Generally delivery is between 7am and 6pm, so quite a wide window, so you should allow to be in all day if you are expecting a delivery. It is great to specify an actual day because you can plan around it then.

We have ordered products that have turned up broken, usually furniture. Drawers or doors are broken or marked, however Argos always do their best to replace these items.

USING THE WEBSITE
+++++++++++++++++

The website is easy to navigate and use and you can enter item numbers directly from the catalogue which makes it very easy to use. You can keep adding items to your basket before checking out. you can them reserve the items to collect from a store, or have them delivered to your door.

MISTAKES ON THE PART OF ARGOS THAT COST THEM MONEY
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We ordered an electronic bottle opener and a microwave turned up. Seeing as the label said it was a bottle opener we decided to keep it and see what happened. NOTHING happened, so we gained a £69.99 microwave for the price of the bottle opener at £23.99. Although of course we still had to order the bottle opener! (which was useless by the way, but that is not the fault of Argos).

Another time I order curtain poles, holdbacks and finials and they sent the wrong finials. I telephoned them and they arranged for a replacement to be sent free and collected the wrong item. They even telephoned later in the day to ensure that the swap had taken place.

The BIGGEST mistake they made was one I mentioned in another review about my pramette. I ordered a £400 pram from Argos as it was going out of the cataloge. A week later it was reduced to £300. I was really annoyed and telephoned them to ask if I could return my pram and reorder it at the new price and was told yes, so I said why dont we cut out the messing around and you just repay me the difference? They agreed to this. I was told to wait the 30 day return period, then ring up and ask for a £100 refund. They emailed me to confirm this so I had it in writing.

When I telephoned to ask for a refund, they said that they had to send me a letter detailing the refund. I duly received a letter with £100 of Argos vouchers in. This annoyed me as I wanted a refund to my credit card, so imagine my surprise to discover £100 on my credit card as well! I can only think that somebody misunderstood and sent the vouchers out in error.

So basically my £400 pram cost me £200 and my mum gave me a cheque for £300 to pay for it! I did tell her about the vouchers but she paid the full amount anyway.

We had a Dyson from Argos that we collected from the store. The bos wasnt security sealed and was a bit tatty and when we got it home we discovered that the Dyson did not work, so we took it back to Argos and they replaced it with no problems. I even got a £10 voucher for spending over £100 even though it was a replacement!

DELIVERIES
++++++++++

I cannot fault the delivery of items purchased. They have always arrived on the specifed day and usually in the morning. Large items are sent on an Argos lorry, while small items are sent by independant couriers.

RESERVING ITEMS
+++++++++++++++++
You can reserve items to be collected from a store. They will usually be available the next day and you have a 2 day window in which to collect the goods. This is great for Argos Direct Items which take a little longer unless it is a bigger store. I have used this on several occasions to get an item that is not available at my local store.

QUALITY OF GOODS
+++++++++++++++++

You do get what you pay for. The pine furniture is cheap, but is not totally sold, ie, the backs are chipboard. However, the manufacturers will replace any missing or broken parts. The jewellery is nice, I have bought several items and never had a problem with them.

PAYING FOR GOODS
+++++++++++++++++++

Argos.co.uk take credit or debit cards. If you have gift vouchers you have to go into the store to pay for your items, but you can still have them delivered to your home if you want to. This works well for me as I get a lot of vouchers from doing online surveys (Ipsos, Lightspeed, Consumer Panel, Valued Opinions). It is inconvenient to go into town, but I guess it would be difficult to accept vouchers as payment online, unless they could put a code on them like Amazon or Tesco.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes I would. Apart from the problems listed above, I have usually had good service from Argos.co.uk and find it great that I can order something and have it delivered to the door for a fiver. It would cost me more than that to drive to town and park up.

I have always found customer services to be very helpful and fairly easy to contact.

If an item is out of stock you can choose a store and then receive text updates as to when it comes in.

xdonzx 06.06.2008 19:33

Great Review x

gemax2 04.06.2008 11:55

Charging extra for a Saturday what a cheek!!

starjen 23.05.2008 19:21

Great review, the only time I ordered something to be delivered it turned up busted, and I had paid extra for speedy delivery and it took over a month to clain back the extra i paid! I do still use them though x