Review of "Argos Value Oak Effect TV Stand"

published 28/04/2012 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Reasonably priced, easy to build, clear instructions.
Cons Not the strongest thing ever.
Reliability
Ease of Use

"Value range TV stand from Argos. "

As we always had our television on a large desk which we didn't bring when we moved house we ended up looking for a TV stand. This TV stand, currently £30.63, was available for just £9.99 so we promptly reserved one and collected it in our nearest Argos store.

The TV stand comes packaged in a cardboard box with five pieces of wood, screws, screw covers, glue & instructions all provided within the box. The instructions are clear and concise and it took around 15 minutes to put together the TV stand and then it was just a case of waiting for any glue to dry before we could place our TV, Xbox and other bits on the stand.

The stand itself is made from thin wood which has the 'oak' style to it that quite a few Argos items come in. This is fantastic as it means you can kit out your bedroom, lounge or wherever you like and the furniture will all be matching and look stylish and coordinated. Once the stand is built it is fairly sturdy and we have comfortable stood a 28" TV on the top shelf as well as an Xbox on the middle shelf and lots of Xbox games on the bottom shelf.

On closer inspection I can see that the top shelf has begun to sag just a little in the middle but this is probably because the TV only has a small stand and therefore the weight is not evenly distributed across the whole table. It could also be because the thickness of the materials is not fantastic but then for the £9.99 that we paid I'm not going to be too fussed if I have to get a replacement after a year or two.

Overall we were very impressed with the quality of this TV stand for the very small price paid. It's quite nice to look at and the screw covers and peel off 'a, b, c' stickers mean it's very easy to build this and have it looking quite nice. The only downside is that the inside screws don't come with covers on them so if you look closely you can see the exposed screws but then I could buy some covers myself cheaply if I was that bothered about it.

The size of this TV stand is 38cm (Height) x 90cm (Width) x 40cm (Depth) which is perfectly ample for a 28" TV which just slightly overhangs the edge when turned at a slight angle. Therefore, if you are wanting this for a large slimline TV I would advise you to try something else as this is more suited for a smaller TV, perhaps in a spare room or study or if you just have a standard sized TV in your lounge rather than a mammoth 40" then this will be fine for you.

We owned this item from 2010 until last month when we replaced it with something more stylish. It had withstood plenty of knocks and thanks to Freecycle I was able to give it to someone else to get some usage out of too! Not bad for the price!