Meggysmum 5

Meggysmum

About me: Thanks to everyone for the Es, always appreciated even if I haven't had the chance to thank you. Also write under the same name elsewhere.

Member since:07.09.2009

What a Whitening Winner!

26.06.2010

Advantages:
Whitens and cleans well

Disadvantages:
Very frothy

49 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. supersonic75
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. K2705
  3. dippykitty123

I am not very brand loyal with most of my toiletries and toothpaste is no exception. However I have found that some of the own brand Boots toothpastes I have bought have tasted a bit strange so I tend to buy known brands but I only select the ones that are on offer.

Several weeks ago I purchased the Arm and Hammer Advanced Whitening Toothpaste when it was on a BOGOF at £2.59 for two tubes of 75ml each. I must admit I have not used Arm and Hammer toothpastes for years as I remember trying them and rather disliking the flavour. I really cannot explain what possessed me to select the tubes this time except that I am never one to walk past an offer!

The toothpaste tube is presented inside a predominantly white cardboard box with the distinctive red Arm and Hammer log on one side. It states that it is an Extra Whitening Baking Soda Toothpaste and claims to make teeth up to 3 shades whiter. The tube inside has pretty much the same information printed on the plastic, it also has a plain screw top, there are no fancy “flip-tops” here.

This is fluoride toothpaste and it contains 1100ppm F from Sodium Fluoride. As with most toothpastes it states that children under 7 should only use a pea-sized amount and should be supervised to ensure minimal swallowing. The Baking Soda in the toothpaste is supposed to clean away stains and freshen breath and then micro polishers should leave the teeth looking whiter.

On opening the tube I could detect a strong aroma of mint, it was very pleasant and had a similar smell to mint-imperial sweets. The paste itself was a standard white paste, there are no stripes or fancy bits of gel like many on the market, it is just ordinary-looking toothpaste like I remember from my childhood.

The tube was easy to squeeze and so I deposited the required amount on my brush. I was immediately surprised by the flavour. I had been anticipating a strangely odd taste after my previous experience but this was completely different. The mint was quite strong but not in the horrible “burn your mouth” way that I have suffered from some strong toothpastes. The Baking Soda gives the toothpaste a slightly frothy feel whilst you are cleaning, this is a little unusual but not unpleasant and I soon found that it felt like teeth were being really well cleaned. The frothing effect does make for slightly messy teeth cleaning and you certainly wouldn’t want to move away from the sink whilst suffering your twice daily dose of rabies but otherwise I have no complaints.
I certainly found that my teeth felt very clean immediately after using the toothpaste and my mouth felt fresh. Throughout the day I felt that my breath stayed fresh and my teeth definitely felt smoother than normal so I was very pleased with the general cleaning effect. I use both an electric and manual toothbrush at different times and it gives good effects with both.

However this toothpaste does claim to make your teeth whiter. I had bought this without actually noticing that it claimed to be a tooth whitening product as I do not have any particular concerns about the colour of my teeth. My husband, on the other hand, is undergoing teeth-whitening via the dentist so he had a handy little tooth colour chart which I had a look and against which I checked my tooth colour before I started using the toothpaste. I do not smoke or drink red wine or coffee but I do like a few cups of tea a day and I know this can leave some stains so I was interested to see if I could really find any measurable improvement.

I would say I have been using the product for about 6 weeks now and I decided to check the colour of my teeth again. I had been thinking that they did look a little brighter, especially around the base of the teeth and when I looked at the chart I have to admit that they have definitely come up at least a shade lighter and are almost two shades lighter. I have used whitening toothpastes in the past and this is the first time that I have actually noticed any change in my teeth at all.

I am certainly happy that I purchased this by chance and I will certainly by sticking with it. I have lovely clean, shiny, whiter teeth and my gums seem healthy and my breath is fresh. This definitely delivers everything I could possibly ask for in toothpaste so I just need it to be on offer again soon!

dippykitty123 05.09.2010 19:57

I tend to be sceptical of whitening toothpastes but this sounds promising!

hayleigh_18 21.07.2010 11:16

We have this at home; mum likes to use it religiously; I haven't really noticed a difference in the shade of her teeth though.

kerrieryall 12.07.2010 22:03