Review of "Arrow Season 1 (Blu-ray)"

published 13/07/2015 | josepharding
Member since : 03/06/2015
Joe, 19 Absolutely in love with film, working on growing a YouTube channel, name is TheTrophyMunchers. Thanks for the ratings, will return the favour when I can to some of you :)
Pro Cast / Characters, Engaging Episodes, Fun Action, Villains, Flashbacks
Cons Some characters / villains
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Arrow Season 1 - Hooded Legend"

Arrow Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Arrow Season 1 (Blu-ray)

ARROW SEASON 1

Here we have my tenth favourite TV show of all time currently, Arrow. Quite simply put one of the most fun and enjoyable shows you'll ever watch, especially if you're a fan of DC and heroes in general. While it has it's cheesy moments it manages to make up for in a gripping story, interesting villains, fun action (despite enemies missing with guns at close range), a wonderful cast of characters and surprisingly something that is well directed in general. Marvel has Daredevil and we have Arrow, both are very different but have similar qualities about them, it's a great time for TV shows. I've watched Season 1 three times in total now, and with 23 episodes altogether I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about at this point. With a strong start with 4.14 people tuning in for the first episode this show was highly anticipated, and while it gets off to a rocky start with a pretty laughable script in episode 1, it does eventually pick itself up and becomes better with each episode.

STORY

When presumed-dead billionaire playboy Oliver Queen returns home to Starling City after five years stranded on a remote island in the Pacific, he hides the changes the island had on him, while secretly seeking reconciliation with his ex, Laurel. By day he picks up where he left off, playing the cocky billionaire he used to be, but at night he has the alter ego of Arrow and works to right the wrongs of his family and restore the city to its former glory. Complicating his mission is Laurel's father, Detective Quentin Lance, who is determined to put the vigilante behind bars.
While it does has this is a general premise of a story, each episode has it's own story within the season, weather that's a villain per episode in which Arrow must take down, or Arrow himself getting into a bad situation in which he must find a way to get himself out of. What this show does brilliantly also is managing to make flashbacks interesting! Yes! The flashbacks here are actually interesting! As the show literally starts with him getting off the islands, we get to see what happened to him while he was on the island for those five years, pulling in an average of 4 an episode, this could've been utterly boring but at times it's even the best thing about the show.

CAST / CHARACTERS

Arrow / Oliver Queen is played be Stephen Amell, who really goes all out in his role. I've seen behind the scenes of the work he put in to learn the parkour that Arrow does and even the training he goes through, congratulations to the guy for how much effort he put in here. As for the green hooded figure himself, I love him, sure he's better as 'The Hood' but even as Oliver Queen I enjoy every scene he's in, which is the majority of them. While he isn't my favourite character of the show he's definitely a great lead, if he failed, the entire show fails, at least for me that isn't the case.
Laurel Lance, played by the beautiful Katie Cassidy is unfortunately the weakest and most annoying character, at least for me, and to be fair, only for this season. Her acting is fine, that isn't the problem. It's the character herself, she's a lawyer and while she does what she can to help the innocents of Starling City I just find she whines way too often, sure she can take care of herself when she gets into bad situations which I'm so happy about! But other than that she just annoys me, but like I said, only on this season.
Thea Queen played by the even more beautiful Willa Holland is my second favourite character, yeah she whines too, she just does it better and I love her too much. She plays Oliver Queen's teenage sister who parties way too hard and gets herself into way too much trouble, my kind of girl to be honest. She also gets a lot better in future seasons, especially Season 3.
Felicity Smoak is played by Emily Bett Rickards, who does a good job, I just don't like her character and never have. One of my worst characters, she also gets very annoying at times. She works at Oliver Queen's business and is extremely good with computer's, so yeah, hacker basically. A fun character to have around sure, and she's definitely needed, I just can't connect with her personally.
Now my favourite character of THIS season, it changes to Black Canary in Season 2 (original Black Canary), but we have John Diggle, played by the charismatic David Ramsey. He plays as Oliver Queen's bodyguard but quickly becomes a lot more than that, and more involved in the story. He's a complete badass with an interesting backstory, and you can connect with him instantly, he's fun to have on screen with good dialogue and is a great member to have to the show.
We have another weak character but also needed for the show. We have Oliver Queen's jealous best friend Tommy Merlyn played by Colin Donnell who is in a relationship with our annoying lawyer Laurel. That's all he does really, not much to say about this character.
Finally we have a great character Detective Quentin played by Paul Blackthorne, who really has a lot to say for himself. A cop that hates Oliver Queen and The Arrow and will stop at nothing to punish them both. You understand his character and while he could be seen as someone who is annoying and just gets in the way, he's one of the best characters and really adds a lot to the show.
Overall a fantastic cast of characters and it only gets better per season.

THE ARROW

Donning the dark green suit, our hero of the show comes out at night to fight crime! Classic hero stuff. There is something about using a bow and arrows that makes the show so much better. Sure it was inevitable with a show called ARROW but it makes it seem like something we haven't seen before. This also reminds me a lot of the Dark Knight Trilogy. The way our hero has a load of money to spend on gadgets, upgrades and awesome cars keeps you wondering what's coming next. Perfectly cast, each time Arrow is taking down villains your eyes are glued to the screen, with the amazing combat that is well edited, choreographed and doesn't look utterly fake like a lot of shows out there. I really applaud what they were able to do here, it feels fresh and new, I love it!

BLU-RAY / SPECIAL FEATURES

Shows like this obviously look better on blu-ray, super cheap now too, and there isn't that much pricing difference between DVD and blu-ray. With 23 episodes I guarantee this is worth the extra few pounds. As far as special features go, we have plenty, you usually do with TV shows, they include:
  • Arrow Comes Alive! – From the minds of Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg comes Arrow, with its solid nod toward the roots of the famous DC Comics character. These two creative forces, along with their stellar cast, will guide this documentary, as they describe their modern update of the Green Arrow for a television audience.
  • Arrow: Fight School/Stunt School (featurette) – From expertly choreographed fights, to stunts that give feature films a run for their money; Arrow takes aim to present the best that television can offer. Experience the extraordinary effort that goes into each stunt sequence.
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Gag Reel
  • Arrow at Paley Fest 2013 – Highlights from the Paley Fest 2013 Arrow panel, including the cast and producers.

I adore this show, it a lot of fun and addictive, pleasing to the eye and has one of the best casts we have at this time. This just gets better with each Season, and still manages to get off to an extremely strong start. And who can complain when you have someone like Willa Holland on your screen!My review out of 10, as I find out of 5 too restricting.

ARROW SEASON 1 - 9.6/10