bandcamp 3

bandcamp

Member since:01.04.2005

I've had better things in my mouth

18.10.2005

Advantages:
cheap, no artificial nonsense, 100% chicken breast it claims

Disadvantages:
calories, taste leaves a lot to be desired, not very filling

Recommendable No:

Product Quality

Taste

SmellPleasant

Packaging

1. eGordy

The date: Yesterday
The time: About half 8
The location: Asda, Maryhill / Summerston
The reason: Mum said she would buy me food

THE STORY

Being something slightly reminiscent 'punk' ideal where I grudge paying more than £1 for something (though some would just call me a miser), the whole 'buy 5 frozen ready meals for £4' thing is an offer I reguarly take advantage of - when I have the funds, of course.

While browsing through the freezer section of the store, trying to choose what 5 I wanted, my mum pointed out that the offer had now changed to £3.50 for 5 meals. Nice one! That 50p saved meant I could get a bottle of wine too. Yes it was lovely, thanks for asking!

So one of the meals I chose was the Chicken Curry with Rice. It is 79p on it's own, and looked ever so inviting on the box, you see. It was interesting to see that there were actually 2 versions of this - the normal version, and a hot version. I chose the normal version, since I wasn't sure if myself or any gatecrashing visitors would be having it.

THE PREPARATION

I wanted something to eat while watching Neighbours, so fished this out of the dark recesses of my fridge freezer. This can be microwaved or cooked in the oven, but as always I shoved it into the microwave after ceremoniously stabbing at the tray's film lid with a fork.

8 minutes later and upon opening the microwave door I was met with a subtle coconut scent laced with a slight spicyness. When I removed the film lid however, I could not detect the same scent again although my flatmate commented on how nice it smelt.

Naturally it looked nothing like it did on the packaging, even more so because I couldn't be bothered dirtying a plate when I could eat it straight out of the perfectly good tray it came in.

Further inspection of the packaging told me that I was about to enjoy "tender strips of chicken breast in a mild curry sauce with tomatoes, creamed coconut & mango chutney served with rice". I thought I could see little cubes of mango amongst the muddy brown sauce, perhaps the odd bit of onion too.
What concerned me though, was the fact that the rice looked dried out. And I was right! It was stodgy and all stuck together, and took a fair few stabs and prodding about with my fork to try and separate most of it.

THE TASTE TEST

A bit of a let down to be honest with you.

Only one of the 5 biggest chicken pieces (about 3.5cm x 1.5cm) was 'tender' as claimed (the rest were a tad chewy), the rice tasted as bad as it looked and had to be smothered in sauce to be digested, and the sauce itself was incredibly bland rather than mild, and I could only detect the spices at the back of my throat instead of on my tongue.

As curry is now considered to be an important feature in the country's food habits, Asda have rather let the side down with this substandard offering.
Part of me suspects though that this is due to the uber-company cutting out the artificial colours and flavourings and not bothering to find suitable quality replacements. Imagine that!

Another problem I had with this was that it cooled down very quickly - and I'm a fairly fast eater (a pig, some would say) so it's quite unusual for me to encounter this.

THE CONCLUSION

Despite the faults I found with this I still feel that I am unable to tell anyone not to buy this.

If you're skint and desperate, and perhaps too drunk / ill to care about taste (or lack thereof) then sure, go ahead.

However, if the rest of you have a few more pennies to spend and would rather have something of quality lingering on your tastebuds - I'd advise you to look elsewhere for some quick and easy satisfaction.

THE HEALTH WARNINGS

This meal contains wheat, gluten, and celery and may contain traces of nuts and seeds.

One too many curries may result in addiction, according to some studies carried out. I'm not kidding. Some are saying it's a load of nonsense but I don't see why it's not possible.

So before you pick up that fork or Indian delivery menu, please - Think of the children.
Pictures of Asda Chicken Curry with Rice
Asda Chicken Curry with Rice Picture 1930873 tb
Doesn't it look lovely

General-David 30.07.2008 13:11

being a uni student I am a frequent consumer of fast food and ready meals. I agree with this review, ASDA ready meals like this one aren't very filling at all, you'll probably have to eat two of them to be satisfied and the taste is well....... what you pay is what you get. But they are handy if you need a quick 'snack' before going out for a drink or somthing (cos you don't want to be drinking on an empty stomach)

just.bcoz 18.06.2008 23:33

Great review, I didnt really like this one either. x

Bue-T-Freak 05.07.2007 18:48

You couldn't really ASK for a funnier analysis of a chicken curry could you? F****** hilarious! A great, well wrote review of an Asda chicken curry! PS I do think about the chicken that goes into my curry AND the curry that goes into the chicken (hey?) ha ha : ) x