Asda Extra Special Toffee & Pecan Roulade

Asda Extra Special Toffee & Pecan Roulade

Review of "Asda Extra Special Toffee & Pecan Roulade"

published 14/04/2010 | SusanLesley
Member since : 21/10/2000
Pro Tastes wonderful, looks great, excellent packaging
Cons The dreaded calories
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"If you want a taste sensation try this!"

I don’t know if anyone else has a husband like mine – I’ll tell you a story and you can let me know!

Last week he was in town and rang me to ask if there was anything I needed him to fetch. I asked him to pop into Asda and get Mew (our cat) some of his favourite treats, Webbox Cat Delight Sticks as they are only available in Asda. When he arrived home he had indeed got Mew’s treats and he had also got an Asda Extra Special Toffee and Pecan Roulade!! Seriously he knows that I love almost anything with pecans so he thought we would both enjoy the treat and we did!

The Price and Availability

The roulade weighing in at 420g currently costs £4 and is only available from Asda stores – obviously – as it is an Asda brand product. It is a frozen product and so is found in the freezer aisle.

The Packaging

The roulade comes packaged in an attractively designed box to keep it safe from being crushed. On the front of the box there is a picture of the roulade sliced open to reveal the makeup of the dessert, which I have to say looks very appetising!

It is worth saying at this point that the packaging is the minimum required to keep the roulade in perfect condition until it is required. Inside the box the roulade sits on a base of card to make it easy to remove it from the box. Of course with the packaging being all cardboard it is all recycleable so well done Asda!

The writing on the front of the box tells us that this is a new recipe of Asda Extra Special Toffee and Pecan Roulade and that it contains no artificial colours, flavours or hydrogenated fat. It is also suitable for vegetarians.

The dessert is described as ‘Hand-rolled light and chewy meringue with whipped toffee cream and English butter toffee sauce, American pecan nuts and toffee fudge pieces.’ It is all sounding very yummy then!

On the back of the box there is a full list of ingredients, preparation instructions, nutritional information, allergy advice, recycling advice and advice about storage. Of course there is also the usual Asda price promise reminding us that if we are not 100% happy with the product they will refund our money and replace the product – now you can’t say fairer than that can you?

To Serve

The roulade must be kept frozen until it is required and then it must be removed from all the packaging, placed on a serving plate and allowed to defrost at room temperature for two hours. It should then be eaten immediately – like you would be able to resist it!

The Appearance

Firstly I will say that the roulade is the size that I expected given the size of the box. How many times have you opened a box expecting to see a product of a certain size only to be confronted by something considerably smaller? Anyway here we have a decent sized dessert which, according to the box, would serve six people and to be fair you would get six reasonable slices from it. Dave and I cut it into four slices and had a slice each at lunchtime and the remaining two slices at tea time but then we do both have a sweet tooth!

The roulade looked just as appetising in reality as the picture on the front of the box. It was a roll of meringue with visible pieces of toffee and pecan nuts and a dusting of icing sugar.

When I sliced the roulade the inside was a spiral of toffee coloured meringue with a filling of toffee sauce. It was easy to slice and kept its shape well so it would be ideal to serve to guests.

The Taste

This is the one you really want to hear about isn’t it? It is no good having beautiful packaging and a product that looks appetising if the taste is a disappointment.

I am glad to be able to tell you that there is no disappointment here!

The taste is wonderful! The meringue is chewy and the toffee sauce is sweet but not too sickly providing you don’t try and eat too much of the roulade at once! We found that a quarter of the dessert at a time was enough.

The combination of textures and tastes in the meringue, sauce, toffee pieces and pecan nut pieces works perfectly whilst each element remains individually distinguishable in your mouth. If you like toffee and pecan this really is a taste sensation!

Allergy Advice

The roulade contains barley, gluten, wheat, eggs, milk and of course nuts. It also may contain traces of other nuts and / or seeds.

Nutritional Advice

If you are easily shocked look away now! Seriously the nutritional values for 100g of the roulade (which is just slightly short of a quarter of the dessert) are as follows:

Calories 356
Of which saturates 9.9g
Fibre 2.4g
Salt 0.2g

In Conclusion

This was a really lovely treat and I would recommend it without hesitation however it must only be enjoyed occasionally given the calories, sugar and fat contained. Shame!!

Incidentally if you aren’t keen on toffee and / or pecans Asda also do a raspberry roulade in the same range also at £4. I think we might have to try that one too as raspberries are Dave’s favourite fruit.

• kiran8 published 18/04/2010
    Sounds good...
  • mumsymary published 17/04/2010
    Shame I do not like pecans
  • Munchkin2009 published 17/04/2010
    I think I'd find the combination of toffee and meringue too sickly, so I would choose the raspberry one you mentioned at the end of your review. It sounds like a nice dinner party or special occasion pudding. Excellent review.