Asda Group

Review of "Asda Group"

published 22/06/2011 | Pan-Tink
Member since : 22/06/2011
Satisfactory
Pro The discount card and meeting new people.
Cons Not enough workers on the departments so continually understaffed.
Range of duties
Knowledge gained
Training
Responsibilities
Collegues

"Asda are we happy to help?"

I applied for a few supermarkets in my local area and finally got a job in Asda, I originally wanted to work in the administration department as that was the closest to my last employment but was put on the Deli counter doing the evening shift. In some ways being on their was a good thing as you seemed to be in your own space not to close to customers yet still be able to interact with them.

The beginning of the year was fine, I got taught a lot of things that I needed to know about the smooth running of the department, I wasn't so sure about the training mind you as I thought it wasn't long enough, I was shown how to use a meat slicer which lasted all of a few minutes then told that I was now qualified to use it...I voiced my worries and was given a lump of meat and told to slice it. That is how most of the training went really.

Our department had a lot of managers in the year that I was there and at one point we didn't even have a manager at all, then had three...which just caused more problems than anything else as there was always a conflict of orders as well as they each had their own ways of doing things which just made it harder for anyone actually on the counters.

Being under staffed is also a problem as when I started at the beginning of last year there was five people in maximum and three minimum but it ended up towards the end of the year that it would only be two people to do the job that it took for five, which doesn't sound like a lot but when there is a queue waiting on the pizza area as well as customers on the rest of the counters waiting it isn't fun for the workers or customers...there was also the problem of being able to do all the jobs we were meant to do before going home, while understaffed we couldn't do everything so ended up leaving it for the ladies that did the daytime shift which wasn't fair.

For all the bad things about Asda I enjoyed some of the work there, most of the customers where lovely to serve and always got a smile, the discount card was great to have as it let me have my shopping cheaper, other members of staff were brilliant to work with as well, it just seemed a shame that most of the departments were so understaffed.

I handed in my notice after my last shift as it was just so busy...well it was a Saturday evening after all, we (me and one colleague) had asked a manager if we could close down the pizza area half an hour early, he had agreed but after a group of customers had complained got us to open it up again, after serving the group we only had 10 minutes to close down four counters, clean up, take out the rubbish and so forth which couldn't be done due to our contracted hours end of shift time and only being two of us there.

I wouldn't want to work in a supermarket again so have gone back to job hunting for something that is more suitable to me.

Product Information : Asda Group