Asda Profiteroles with Chocolate Sauce

Asda Profiteroles with Chocolate Sauce

Review of "Asda Profiteroles with Chocolate Sauce"

published 03/03/2009 | sarahbarrow
Member since : 11/05/2007
Well that was the longest couple of weeks break I've ever had! xx
Pro Generous portions.
Cons None.
Smell
Product Quality

"The perfect dessert."

Anyone familiar with my previous reviews will be aware of my love for anything sweet and puddingy, ok so that is not technically a word but it’s the best I can come up with to describe my love!

After a visit to my local Asda I thought I deserved a treat, so after perusing the freezer isle I happened upon these beauties and had to indulge.

The product I will now review is “Asda’s profiteroles with chocolate sauce”.

The box these little delights come in is a smallish box navy blue in colour. There is the most enticing picture of the profiteroles, all piled haphazardly, and thoroughly drenched with what looks like the chocolate sauce you would pour onto your ice cream desserts, ok I need a sweet fix so by this time I could care less!

There is all the usual information on the box, brand name, product name and description, price, food facts and nutritional information, of which I will address later.

Upon opening the box you will notice all the choux pastry profiterole balls are loose inside the box, under those are two well filed sachets of thick dark chocolate sauce, there is a perforation down the middle obviously hinting that there are two portions held within the box….. I don’t think so!

You are advised to defrost thoroughly before consuming them, it states that it should take 1-1 ½ hours at room temperature or alternatively 3-3 ½ hours in a refrigerator. The sauce can be warmed through by simply placing the unopened sachet into a bowl of boiling water (straight from the kettle), and leaving for around 1 minute.

Ok, so I’m going in!

There are around 15 profiteroles in the box, and all roundish in shape, I place (or force!), as many as I can possibly fit into my bowl, I snip the top from a sachet of sauce and squeeze it all over my profiteroles.
I was pleasantly surprised by how thick the sauce actually is, it comes out more like chocolate spread, however I assume the more you heat the sauce the thinner the consistency will become.

I never stand on attention when it comes to food so I tuck right in. The sauce is delicious and dark, with a slight bitterness to it, this offsets the sweet and gooiness of the profiterole and the sweet, soft and melting texture of the cream within.
The cream that is to be found inside is not fresh cream but a more synthetic tasting cream, this is ideal for more, I have never been a fan of fresh cream. The profiterole when bitten into is bursting at the seams with cream filling and positively pops in your mouth…. Bliss!

Now to the bit I dislike, the nutritional information! For some unknown reason there is no calorific content for the chocolate sauce, instead it is given per profiterole.

Per profiterole-
47 kcal
0.8g protein
2.7g carbohydrates
2.0g of which sugars
3.7g fat
2.4g of which saturates
0.4g fibre.

I don’t need to tell you that these are never going to be good for you, so as always this sort of dessert should be eaten as part of a healthy and varied diet, and only occasionally!
There are allergy note also these are that this product contains gluten, milk, wheat and egg and also may contain traces of nuts and/or seeds.
On the upside this product states that they are artificial flavour free and contain no hydrogenated fat.

The price of these were also a bit selling point for the box they are sold at my local Asda, (obviously!) for the princely sum of £1.00!

Would I recommend, definitely! There is a more than generous serving within the box, the profiteroles are light and creamy, the sauce a delight to eat and the price is nothing to be sniffed at!

For more information on this and the other desserts available in the range visit - www.asda.co.uk

Thanks for reading x

• gemax2 published 08/03/2009
    yummy
  • MizzMolko published 08/03/2009
    My Dad literally rants about why he hates profiteroles lol I quite like 'em myself...fab review : ) Eleanor x
  • plod591 published 08/03/2009
    I am the opposite to you as I love these with freash crema inside !! LOl. Nicely reviewed. x