anwar 4

anwar

About me: All reads gratefully received! If I miss you give me a shout! Thanks for the premium fund ciao!

Member since:30.04.2003

Whoops!

30.11.2004

Advantages:
see review

Disadvantages:
see review

Price

1. Gladiator007
  2. Miskah
  3. Mrs.Nadine
  1. Mel27

This review is based on my experiences of shopping in Asda in Swindon, many miles from where I live, but occasionally I like a change from my usual supermarket (waitrose) and so am happy to travel for a different experience. Asda is part of the American Wall mart chain and I have happy memories of browsing the aisles of Wall Mart in Tucson and bagging many bargains, so how does this English alternative shape up? Come with me on a virtual tour to find out!

The car park
***********
First things first. There are usually lots of free spaces even at busy times so parking should not be a problem here. There are parking spaces allocated for those with a disability and parents with children. These spaces are situated near to the entrance and trolley bays to make life easier. I will take this opportunity to complain to all ignorant shoppers who think it is o.k. to park in these spaces when you are not entitled to do so. Please donít do it! It means others will have to struggle more than they have to already. I think Asda could do more to ensure these spaces are left free for those who need them as Waitrose do.

Trolleys
*******
There are always plenty of trolleys available at this store even at busy times. I noticed several different types including ones with baby seats and straps, ones that can accommodate a baby car seat and trolleys for those with disabilities. All trolleys have always looked in good, clean condition.

The entrance
***********
There are several entrances into this branch, which also serve as exits. As you can imagine it can be a bit tricky trying to get into the shop when lots of other shoppers are trying to get out with their loaded trolleys. Once inside the entrance is spacious and well lit.

Inside the store
*************
To your left as you enter is the Asda range of clothing named George at Asda. This is my main reason for coming to Asda as I really rate their clothing. It is inexpensive and well made not to mention stylish. On my most recent visit I bought my 2-year-old son a t-shirt top for £3.50,a pair of jeans for £2.50 and pack of bodysuit vests for £2.50. All items were well-made and great value for money. In addition to the childrenís range Asda sell clothing for women including maternity range, mens and menís clothing. I bought myself a pair of trainers for £6 that are really comfortable.

Multi media section
****************
To the right and straight-ahead is the multi media section. This is a really extensive section and has not only the latest releases on both d.v.d and video, but also older films at really low prices. There is also a section selling digital cameras and camcorders in addition to low priced basic cameras. I love browsing in this section too!

Toys and games
*************

This section is immediately in front of the multi media section and is a bit disappointing really. I find the toy range limited at have never found anything very exciting or different. I did buy a monopoly game on my last visit for £11.48, which was about £1 cheaper than Tesco. Asda have their own range of toys but as I have never bought any I canít comment on the quality.

Kitchen equipment and linens
*************************
This is the next aisle and again is extensive. I like the asda kitchen and find the range inexpensive and innovative. On my most recent visit I bought coasters made from slate for £1.50 for 4,a real bargain! The bed linen range is also quite stylish and looks far more expensive than it is. Asda also sell a vast range of cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery all at great prices.

The dairy section
****************
O.k. so now for the food items! The dairy section has all you would expect including organic milk and butter, which pleases me! The prices were inexpensive for all the usual brands of butter. Asda stock a vast range of per packed cheeses so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Fruit and veg

************

I find this section a bit disappointing. I usually buy my fruit and veg from a local supplier so maybe I have been spoilt here, but I think this Asda could do so much better in this department. The produce on offer always looks, to me, as if it is not too fresh. There is always plenty on offer but perhaps the quality is not as I would like. Prices are however good and the section is well laid out.

Bakery
******
Walk from the fruit and veg section and immediately in front of you will come to the bakery. Asda has a vast range of different breads on offer all baked on the premises. However I buy my bread from a local baker so have never sampled Asdas offerings in this department. There are plenty of cakes on offer too and some did look tempting!

The deli pizza, Chinese and Indian counters.
*******************************
On my last visit I bought an Indian meal from the take away counter. There is a huge amount of choice and it all smells delicious. However we were really disappointed with our meal and I will not be tempted to buy from this counter again! I have never bought from the Chinese or pizza counters so canít comment. The pizza counter does look quite inviting and you can choose your own toppings too.

Beauty, healthcare and baby products
*******************************

All the usual brands on offer at competitive prices. However I find it really confusing to find some toddler clothing with the baby products instead of with the other clothing! Asda sell many own label brands, which I think, are good value compared to the leading brands.

Tinned and packet foods.
*********************
Again all the leading brands in addition to Asdas own label. This aisle is a bit disappointing if you are looking for something a bit different or organic ranges as I could see little on offer here.

Frozen foods
***********
At the far end of the store you will find the frozen food section. There are all the usual items often on promotion. The freezers are always well stocked with all offers available.

Beers wines and spirits.
*******************
I am not really impressed with Asdas wine selection Iím afraid and do not think they have many good deals. There is a lot of choice but I find the prices quite high compared to Tesco or waitrose. I would also like to see more information about the wine displayed on the shelf as in other supermarkets, as this would help me to make a selection.

Fresh meat and fish
*****************

I am not keen on the fresh fish counter, as I have had a bad experience here. A few months ago I bought some fish and it was definitely not as fresh as it should have been! There are several aisles of meat with every cut you could want available. I would like to see more free range and organic meat on offer however.

The verdict
***********
Well how does this store shape up in my opinion? I love the clothing range for starters! The kitchenware and linen department is great too as is the multi media aisle. However I am not to keen on the fresh foods or deli. I think for the size of the store the selection of food on offer is poor and not always of the best quality either.

The layout of this branch leaves a lot to be desired .I fail to understand the think behind placing naan bread in 3 different places for example! The staff seem equally confused too. Asda reduce items that are going out of date like other supermarkets with their whoops labels! However there are baskets of whoops items randomly placed all over the store and I could see no pattern to this. Perhaps the staff find the layout as confusing as I do!

So whatís the overall verdict? Well Asda certainly are keenly priced on many lines and some lines are of high quality. I love the George rang of clothing and this makes the trip worthwhile. The staff are friendly and helpful too, so no complaints there. There are always plenty of checkouts open and I have never had to queue for too long even at busy times. I will continue to shop at this Asda branch on an irregular basis but hope they re think the layout!

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviewís content

sallysmith1973 12.04.2005 10:58

Thanks for that review, I find the our local Asda is fairly bad, can never usually get many of the things I want. I shop at Tescos around here. Asda 'George' clothes are good though, and value for money. Sal x

Littleswamp1 19.03.2005 00:27

My 2nd favourite supermarket behind Morrisons. They recently extended the Asda in grimsby to rival the Tesco extra, and boy, it took nearly 3 hours to go round everything! Mind, it was Christmas! Be warned those who use disabled spaces when they shouldn't. Baywatch is coming!!!

reginabelga 05.02.2005 17:41

Asda is the only supermarket that is cheap enough for me to shop. I always look at what George is selling as sometimes there are some real bargains. Having said all that like you I feel their fresh groceries are so-so in quality. A well constructed op.