Asda Smart Price Sandwich Toaster

Asda Smart Price Sandwich Toaster

Sandwich- / Waffle Makers / Grills

Review of "Asda Smart Price Sandwich Toaster"

published 10/10/2010 | linzee_loulabelle
Member since : 26/11/2004
Thank you so much for any E given on a review! I appreciate them so much! Wow... Gold finally! mehimthedogandababy.com
Pro Cheap and easy to use
Cons Normal bread doesnt fit
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Toasting sandwiches at a smart price!"

Where I got it

Another of my student house purchases was the Asda Smartprice sandwich toaster. I loved toasted sandwiches so I knew that this was something that I was prepared to be without. Along with my Smartprice toaster, I bought this sandwich toaster for £5.49. I really like the fact that Asda (as well as other major supermarkets) have come out with extremely cheap kitchen and household electrical items so that you don’t have to pay for a fortune for something so simple.

Design and how to use

Unlike the picture above, my sandwich toaster is all white instead of the black and silver. I really don’t mind the colour as a lot of our other kitchen appliances are white so at least it matches. On the top are two lights one red and one green which shows up as orange once it lights up. The orange light shows that the toaster is turned on while the red light shows when the cooking plates are hot enough. I really wish that there was a separate on/ off switch though to make things easier than having to unplug it or turn it off at the wall each time after use. The cord to the plug is quite long so you wouldn’t have to have it right next to a plug socket.

As you open the sandwich toaster using a tiny white clasp, there are two non stick cooking plates on both the top and the bottom to ensure that your sandwich gets cooked fully. Each plate has a diagonal line through them which is supposed to cut your sandwich in half but I’ll get to that later. Much like the toaster I bought, regular sized bread doesn’t actually fit and I have always had to cut off just under an inch to make it fit without being too long. Also, if you are using very thick sliced break you may find it hard to close the sandwich toaster for a while until it has been squished down a little bit. I have found this to be a problem with every sandwich toaster I have ever had though so I wish that they would make them a little bit bigger when thinking about what fillings could be used. I only ever really use corned beef or cheese so I can imagine the problems with more fillings.

Once the plates are hot, put the whole sandwich on the bottom plates, butter side facing outwards and then close the toaster. As I said before, you may have some problems closing it fully at first but it only takes a minute or so to be able to do this. Once the toaster is closed, I have found that any toasted sandwich I make only takes about 4-5 minutes to cook but it is worthwhile to go back and check the brownness of the bread a couple of times while cooking. You will need to cut the sandwiches in half once they are cooked as the toaster itself doesn’t really do a very good job of this, it only leaves a diagonal dent in the bread. The sandwiches are also extremely hot once them come out so I always use a spatula to move them onto a chopping board before cutting.

Cleaning

Depending on your filling, the plates and back of the toaster could get pretty gross after cooking. I have always cleaned sandwich toaster straight after eating because it will still be a little bit warm, making it possible to wipe clean easily and without a lot of fuss. As for cleaning the back of the toaster which always ends up with bits of bread and filling in it so I just wait until it is really cool and tip it upside down and give it a little shake. This gets rid of most of what was there and then it will only need a quick wipe down. I really like how easy these are to clean. You don’t really need any cleaning products apart from a cloth and they really take 2 minutes to do.

Overall

I am really happy with my cheap sandwich toaster and apart from the few minor problems with bread, I would definitely buy it again. It is a fantastic price and it cooks my sandwiches really well. As it is an Asda Smartprice product, it can only be bought in Asda stores or online for the same price but with a delivery charge. I use this at least a couple of times a week and so far it is lasting really well.

• MrBrightside1987 published 17/10/2010
    I have this one. Great review :)
  • prettypolly40 published 15/10/2010
    My snadwich toaster is in the cupboard, I forget about it and go back to it every so often. Lovely.
  • Novabug published 15/10/2010
    What a price! Will look out for one of these, thanks.