Asda Smart Price WK8283

Asda Smart Price WK8283

Kettle - Plastic - Cordless - with Anticalc Filter - with Automatic Shut Off - Max Capacity:1.7 - Max Wattage:2200

Review of "Asda Smart Price WK8283"

published 15/10/2010 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Reasonable price, easy to use, fast.
Cons Fairly short flex.
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Asda Smartprice Kettle."

As we have recently moved in to our first home together and money is a little bit tight I did a fairly big shop in Asda where I brought a few small electrical items from the Smartprice range and this kettle (£4.96) was one of them.

The kettle comes provided in a cardboard box and there is a minimal amount of packaging which can be recycled. Perfectly acceptable as I was careful when bringing all my shopping home anyway!

The kettle is white in design and has a thin plastic strip up the middle which shows you the cup indicator and the minimum and maximum levels of water for the kettle to work effectively. I have used this on the minimum setting when making tea or coffee for two and it works fast and boils in just a minute or so. I have also used this at the maximum level when boiling hot water for soaking clothes and it boils very fast, in around two minutes.

The kettle is cordless and sits on a wired base which has a fairly short flex on it. As I have my kettle close to the plug sitting on my kitchen worktop this is not a worry, the flex is long enough that the base can be pulled out from under my worktop to avoid the steam damaging the cupboards or heading back towards the plug sockets.

The kettle is efficient and a small amount of water can be boiled based on your needs. I would say that you need to boil two cups of water at the minimum indicator so this is not ideal if you live in a single person household or you are regularly wanting to boil just one cup of water. However, the kettle boils fast so this is convenient for us in the mornings when we want a brew before we go to work.

The kettle is not particularly attractive in design but it's relatively inoffensive. There is a light on the switch when you flick it to indicate that the kettle is switched on and about to beginning boiling and the switch flicks back down when the kettle has finished boiling.

There is a small plastic clip on filter inside the kettle which did fall off within a few days of using this kettle but it wasn't broken and clipped back on with no problems at all. Initially I had not realised that this had fell off and it ended up getting boiled in the kettle with no adverse affects although I did rinse the kettle out and change the water afterwards just incase.

Overall I have been pleased with the quality of this kettle so far. Apart from the small piece dropping off (probably through user error) there have been no problems at all with the kettle. It's quick, simple and convenient to use and I can boil just enough water for the two of us if I need to so I'm not wasting water or energy.

The price of the kettle was the reason that I made the purchase as we don't usually drink hot drinks a huge amount so I wanted something as cheap as possible that would do the job when we need it to. This kettle has been used several times a day over the past month and we have been very pleased with how well it's worked. I would definitely recommend it if you are in the market for a new kettle, in white, and want something that won't break the budget.

I am sure that we will upgrade our kettle in the future to one that can boil with slightly less water as I have seen a gorgeous silver eco-friendly kettle but it won't be anytime soon as I don't want to buy a new one until the life has gone out of this one. £4.96 is a fantastic price and I have kept my receipt anyway just incase something goes wrong with it so I can take it back within 12 months for a refund or exchange.

I would have no qualms at all about recommending this kettle and the only potential downside I can think of is that the flex is not particularly long.

• jesi published 16/03/2015
    I really like MY SmartPrice kettle (pictured) too . . . Jesi
  • shoppingpenguin published 17/10/2010
    Good honest and thorough review :)
  • paulpry118 published 16/10/2010
    It's certainly a good price