Christina... 5

Christina666

Member since:10.11.2003

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be.................

23.04.2004

Advantages:
Affordable fashion, reliable service

Disadvantages:
I want to buy them all !

22 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  2. nikki14
  3. whoopidoo
  1. flooda
  2. elizabethsian

This review feels a bit like the coming of age on Ciao to me. You see, I've never done a review on a website before....and I must admit I am awaiting your comments with fear.

asos.com was first introduced to me about 6 months ago by a fashion victim, glossy magazine idolising friend of mine. I've never been a true victim and still refuse to wear anything I don't particularly like just because Kylie does, although I must admit I have given in and had a fringe cut in. I'm so weak. So I was dubious of this site to say the least, I mean why would I want to buy clothes just because they are 'In the Style of J Lo'? or 'As worn by Kate Moss'? I'm perfectly capable of choosing my own styles!

* * * So what is asos.com? * * *

asos.com, which stands for As Seen On Stars, is a website which sells the clothes worn by our favourite stars of screen and music, or when the clothes are expensive designers, sell clothes in the same style at a fraction of the extortionate designer price.

The sell both Women's and Men's clothes and accessories, and women's underwear.

* * * The website * * *

When I first looked at the home page of the website, I thought it looked like the biggest load of tack going that was bound to rip me off and defraud by credit card details. I was not impressed, but my friend is a reliable one so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and investigate further.

* * * The Home Page * * *

The home page displays pictures of the best selling items for men and women, and their recommendations of what’s 'hot'. Everyday they will also have 'Deal of the day' displayed on the homepage, which is something that has been reduced and on special offer.

The site is divided up into departments, so you can choose what items you'd like to browse through. For example, in the women's department there is a list of Top, skirts, dresses, Jeans etc... and just click on what you want to look at and your taken straight there.

A list of useful information links is also on the homepage - like Returns Policy and Delivery Charges etc..

* * * The Departments * * *

Once you have chosen what you want to look at, click on the link and you are taken to a page which will have lots of thumbnail sized pictures of your chosen garments being modelled by a sting of attractive and sickeningly slim models.

For example - If you click on the women’s tops you will bring up a page of about 20 thumbnails sized pictures of tops, with the price details and who the top is 'in the style of' or whom it has been worn by next to it. Click on the picture and in enlarges it, and you will see other pictures of your chosen top from different angles. If the top is available in more than one colour, you’ll also see pictures of that. The page will also list sizes available and give you a clear written description of it.

Underneath your chosen item you will also see a list of about 5 other garments from all the different categories - these are the items that other customers have bought who chose the same top as your looking at. I found this quite useful because sometimes it brings up a pair of jeans that will match my top perfectly that I hadn't noticed. Other times though it will bring up something so minging I wouldn't wear if you paid me, and that always makes me think twice about the item I'm looking at - just in case I've got the same bad taste as the person that choose that other monstrosity.

* * * Selecting your chosen item * * *

Once you have found something that you like, simply choose the size you want by clicking in the box next to the size lists and clicking on 'Add to Basket'

You basket is always displayed in the top left hand corner, no matter what page your on - so you know what you've bought and how much you've spent as you go along.

Once you have added your item to your basket, you will then be given 3 options:
Continue Shopping
View Basket
Proceed to Checkout

* * * Buying from asos.com * * *

In order to buy from asos.com, you have to be registered - not actually as sinister as it sounds! It doesn't ask any in-depth questions, just your name, contact details and date of birth, and you have the option to click on a box so they don't send you any annoying or unwanted promotional e-mails.

When registering, you can also submit your billing address (which is the address your debit or credit card is registered in) as well as a separate delivery address, say if you want the item to come to your work.

Once you have selected an item and started the Checkout procedure, you enter a secure area of the site, where all of your details are encrypted.

If you would rather phone up and place your order you can! They have a 24 hour hotline available.

You can also select what currency you wish to pay in, and can choose from US$, Euro, Canadian $ or sterling.

* * * What cards does asos.com accept * * *

Most of them! It accepts all major credit cards and debit cards including SOLO.

* * * How much is the delivery charge * * *

For orders over £50 - delivery is free.

For orders under £50, the standard delivery, which they say takes 4 working days, is charged at £2.95 or you can opt to have the Next Working Day delivery at a cost of £4.95.

The next working day delivery is not available in Northern Ireland, Scottish Isles, Channel Islands and various other postal codes, so its worth checking before you pay the extra.

asos.com will deliver to anywhere in the world. The cost of the postage depends on the weight and where its going, but as a rule they say it takes 4-8 working days to deliver to Europe and 8-14 working days to the rest of the world.

All orders require a signature upon delivery.

* * * Returns Policy * * *

asos.com will refund or exchange any unwanted goods which are returned to them within 14 days of receipt, as long as the goods are unworn and in their original condition. It’s quite a simple process you just fill in the short form on the reverse of your invoice and send it all back. Its always best to send it recorded delivery though just in case it goes missing on the way to them.

Certain items, like underwear and jewellery cannot be returned for obvious hygiene reasons, so choose carefully!

* * * Order Tracking * * *

Once you have placed your order you will be given an order number so you can track the progress of your order when you want by logging into the site and entering your number.

* * * So what starts do they sell in the style of? * * *

All of the big names are listed as long as they’re not older than about 30! This is not to say that you can't stop here if you older than that, because some of the tops and jeans would be suited to all ages. The starts include Britney Spears, Emma Bunton, Cameron Diaz, Jamelia, Sarah Jessica Parker, Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss but there's lots others and even if you hate the particular star the clothes are still sometimes nice (damn Britney)

* * * Overall personal opinion * * *

Despite myself, I love this site. The clothes are affordable and fashionable and the goods have always arrived when they are supposed to. New lines are added almost daily although popular styles tend to sell out quickly.

I have always placed by order via the website and I have never experienced any problems with them over charging me.

* * * Details * * *

HP7 9JQ

Telephone orders:

0870 0600 888 (UK Only)
International: +44 1753 44 11 34

I would completely recommend this site for anyone looking for nice clothes on the Internet.

Thank you for reading. C x

nikki14 05.06.2005 19:29

I love this site and the clothes but am yet to order anything, I might do now though xx

whoopidoo 16.07.2004 12:46

Got sent a link to this site the other week. Didn't see much that I liked and like you was at first put off by initial impression. May have to go back for a second chance gander. Very detailed and informative review. Carmen x

jonesri 13.07.2004 15:01