Atacama Equinox AV 2 Shelf Base Module

Atacama Equinox AV 2 Shelf Base Module

Review of "Atacama Equinox AV 2 Shelf Base Module"

published 12/12/2007 | 03bintls
Member since : 12/04/2006
Pro Nice looking, additional shelves available
Cons Not the cheapest
Quality of service
Range of packages
Range of channels

"My favourite hifi rack"

4 Shelf Unit

4 Shelf Unit

After moving to a new house I needed a unit to house my precious hifi on. One of my key requirements was a nice looking one. The Atacama unit is gorgeous in my opinion. The front is slightly curved and only has three legs, the third is at the back in the middle. This certainally makes the unit stand out.

There are many different colour combinations available - I chose the matt black frame and piano black finish glass. This adds to the high quality look of the unit and makes for a nice focal point in a room (although I am obsessed with my hifi, most people would maybe rather tuck it away in a corner!). You can also get a silver frame and grey glass or a strange bronze like effect.

The glass pannels sit freely on top of the frame, supported by small rubber pads. The prevent any movement and also help shield vibrations. On the bottom of the feet you have to screw in spikes. On the bottom unit these grip the carpet, for each additional shelf unit they allow the shelves to be stacked. This means you can build the unit to have as many shelves as you want.

Additional shelves come in two different heights 180mm and 130mm. This is great since it prevents massive gaps around smaller units.

Once built the unit is the most sturdy one I have come across, it seriosuly does not move around and keeps out all vibrations etc. For really high end hifi you probably will get some improvement out of this rack.

If you are worried about using the carpet spikes on a wooden floor then you can purchase 'spike shoes' for the base unit which will prevent any holes / marks.

This is the nicest hifi rack I think you can buy. Its not the cheapest, but is the best looking, allows add on shelves and (as everyone agrees) is the best performing! If you need a rack, buy the Atacama Equinox.

• fna2007 published 19/12/2007
    great review
  • dharma.roy published 13/12/2007
    Seems kind of expensive to me, but good review