Review of "Audi A6 Avant 1.8T"

published 30/04/2001 | heathfield
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Quality and usefulness"

I am now on my second A6 Avant 1.8T so I guess you could say that speaks for itself, but company car policy dictates I drive an Audi. I bought the first one in Germany and imported it and was treated like traitor by Audi (UK). Unfortunately, I had plenty of dealings with them as the car filled up with water inside every time it rained. This in turn found its way into the electrics and all sorts of problems ensued. It took nearly two years to get fixed and in the end I had to drive it back to where I bought it....in Germany. Thanks again Audi UK.

I have just taken delivery of a UK spec'd and delivered A6 Avant 1.8T SE that has an unusual extra. 7 seats. I also own an Espace, but I needed something a bit nippier to transport the kids around. No luggage space with the kiddies seats in the boot, but I'm used to that. You can take the last row out and it reverts to a standard A6 Avant 5-seater configuration.

Quality is good, a real "clunk" when you shut the doors and the engine is ample with a gutsy turbo. Don't like the automatic gearbox much from Audi, so I chose manual.
All in all, I would rather drive this than an Espace or Volvo and it has a certain element of style that Audi seems to have sorted in the last few years.

Leather seats are a must if you have kids (I have four).

• sarsons published 29/10/2002
    Not bad intro, but info on what the car has to offer would have resulted in a higher rating (eg comfort, ride, equipment, insurance costs etc.). If you ever redo this op, please let me know and I'll reread it and review my rating :)
  • nitebabe published 01/05/2001
    welcome to ciao :o) very good first op! even though you found some of things 4 star l understand when you give it a 5 star overall because it is easy to find a few hitches in a product but otherwise you are happy with what you received :)
  • Rosemary1 published 30/04/2001
    Welcome to Ciao a good first op.