Review of "Audi A6 Avant 1.8T"

published 28/05/2001 | jimmythehat
Member since : 25/05/2001
Pro Value, quality, a practical package with a nice hint of sportiness
Cons No CD as standard.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Better than Passat 4Motion Estate"

Audi A6 1.8 T Quattro

I have been fairly loyal to VAG over the years, so when my previous (company provided) Saab 900 came to the end of its lease I decided to have a look at either the VW Passat or Audi A6 Avant.

I was looking for something "interesting" and yet practical. I have a young family (two under-fives) plus a dog. I thought - hmm, a sporty estate might do the trick.

So we had a test drive in a Passat 2.8 V6 4motion Estate. Now, I used to have a VW Corrado VR6. An absolutely fantastic motor - v fast, great fun and fairly practical. This was sold when the Saab 900 arrived. The Saab was ok; a bit boring and sluggish (but nicely designed). I had hoped that the Passat 4motion would re-instate a sense of fun, with enough space for the family. Also, being the top of the Passat range, I expected a certain level of quality and finish.

I was Disappointed.

The main problem was the quality - not really "executive" class. But the whole package just didn't deliver against my expectations. And it was quite pricey.

So, next thought was an Audi A6. The new A4 was also a consideration but my local dealer just happened to have an A6 Avant 1.8T Quattro in stock. An ex-demonstrator. The test drive showed it be nearly ideal. The engine isn't that sporty but does the job. The amount of space is fantastic. And the overall quality is much better than the VW.

Good levels of equipment. However, no CD as standard. Good air conditioning, adjustable for driver and front passenger. Lots of storage (including drawers under the driver and passenger seats). A luggage net and divider. But unlike the Saab it doesn't have a facility to pass long loads (eg. skis) through the rear seat arm rest.

Only real problem is I haven't quite got used to driving a Turbo. It tends to overrun when changing gear.

And the best things of all: buying an ex-demonstrator with around 3000 miles saved 20% on the list price, and it was ready to drive away. No need to wait for 3 months for the car to arrive...

We've had the car for a couple of months now and we are very pleased with it overall. A much better package than the Passat at a very reasonable cost... although you might have a different opinion if you have to pay full list price.

• sarsons published 29/10/2002
    Info on what the car has to offer would have resulted in a higher rating (eg comfort, ride, equipment, insurance costs etc.). If you ever redo this op, please let me know and I'll reread it and review my rating :) It would also have been better if half of your op wasn't taken up by reviewing another car.
  • Pumpkin published 28/05/2001
    Welcome to Ciao! Good op - I'd like to know a bit more about the spec, fuel economy etc. - then it would probably be a Very Helpful rating! Cheers, hope you enjoy Ciao! Hannah :o)
  • Michael-S published 28/05/2001
    Good first op. Welcome to Ciao. Take care, Michael.