Review of "Audi TT Coupe quattro"

published 20/11/2005 | 170driver
Member since : 02/04/2004
Pro Fast, fun, solid build, reliable engine, and very safe
Cons Not very pratical, more of a posers car then a serious sports car
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"TT Coupe Quattro 225 friend or foe??"

Test model

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Reg No. X665 NLB
Imported model LHD
Mileage 73,100

Actual 0-60: 5.5 secs
Obtained MPH: 147mph

The Audi TT since its release has been a highly successful coupe. Released in 1998 in Europe the baby Audi has certainly proved it is not a baby under the skin. Our model we purchased is a 2000 X plated imported model (registered UK in 2002) has got just over 73,000 miles and is the metallic denim blue, with the RS4 18" alloys. A truly stunning car.

We bought our TT for £9495 not bad considering the mileage and the fact it's a 225 Quattro with 18" alloys, full blue inside, and a 10 CD changer. I live in Birmingham and picked up the car from the Bucks town of Chesham so had to quickly find my bearings in a town I had never been in a LHD car. It was interesting. After a few payment issues and long trawl on the train I finally set off from the dealership (Chesham Left Hand Drive Centre) and quickly found that the fuel needle hadn't even moved so had to find a petrol station. In the meantime I had to get used to driving in a TT and a LHD TT at that. Being low down I felt very encased and felt the Audi quality straight away, there was a few niggles which I put behind me until I got back to Birmingham. Luckily half a mile from the centre and also on the way to the motorway I found a Texaco and after finally finding the petrol cap button filled up the car which cost me £60 to my shock, which I then realised was because the Quattro models have a 62 litre tank!! That was bigger then our Freelander tank.

The nitty gritty

It didn't take me long to get used to driving LHD and soon came to realise the potential power. I drive a Volkswagen Bora TDI 150 (see review) so as you can imagine I am no stranger to pure mid range torque. I found the TT effortless to drive around despite needing a slight push to get the torque but still forgiving. The Quattro system is responsive and creates amazing traction sometimes a little too good, it helps cornering and the ESP works very well with it. The steering is hard and a lot of torque steer is produced but there is still plenty of handling control, minimal roll and plenty of stability. Well let's face it the TT is practically a go-kart so the handling is second to none although not the best I have experienced, read my review about the ST170. Unlike the rev hungry ST170 however the sheer power of the 1.8T is potent and the gas charged turbo sounds glorious as you rake through the fast although slightly notchy gearbox. I would say the biggest problem is that at the base it is still a 1.8 and it is very apparent at the low end. I have given this car the ultimate test and I am still not convinced I have peaked the 225bhp performance, don't get me wrong the car is like lightening and with out working too hard and extremely fast but with its low hard ride it can become tiring to drive and boring. On long journeys it is comfortable but I would recommend regular breaks because the stiffness can get to your back after about 100 mile. It doesn't help that our car is on 18" rims but the car does look the don and since the car does mainly short journeys then it can be forgiven. Economy wise around the town we have managed up to 270 miles but give it some thrash (which it does beg for) and you will have to make do with about 220 miles. On a steady run there is a potential of up to 360 miles.

However it wasn't all plain sailing we had a leak into the drivers foot well, the airbag light was on, the indicators flashed either quickly or stayed on steady and we found out a week later that the brake lights didn't work. So into Audi and £470 later we had all the problems sorted albeit on the same day I took it in but expensive non the less. Although the expense wasn't a surprise some of the past invoices related with car were shocking to say the least.

Interior

Inside there is no real room in the back but cosy in the front. The low roofline isn't too much of a problem and the cabin despite the size doesn't feel claustrophobic. In the rear however there isn't really much room for anyone over 4ft 3 but luckily we have two 5 year olds who can sit comfortable with their feet on the floor. In the boot it has a long and low tailgate but has a long floor (although the 10CD changer is fitted to the back of the seat) and there is 60/40 split rear seats for that little bit more practicality.

The equipment fitted to our car is blue coloured heated leather seats and interior, climate control, Sony Xplod mini disc player and 10 CD changer, also upgraded Bose speakers. There is also an aftermarket alarm fitted which has got anti hijack device by locking the doors while driving. Inside there is an air of quality and it has all worn well for 5 years and 73,000 miles.

Overall

This car looks beautiful and is the ultimate posers' car for the money but it's definitely not a serious sports car contender. I have to say for short journeys this car is a lot of fun, although it doesn't get on well with speed bumps and driving on rough back streets is a bit treacherous. On the country roads it is a lot of fun and smooth dual carriageways and motorways are a dream but driving continuously for a long time can get boring. There is a lot of excitement in the 225 Quattro TT but its all puffed out after too long and the novelty wears off. Outside the TT is beautiful with its twin exhaust and beautiful shape but I will have to say I had more fun with my rev hungry ST170 and prefer the punch from my lumpy TDI 150. For what it is the servicing and maintenance costs are very high and being 1.8T and a four wheel drive there is a lot more moving parts to fix, but with the first cam belt change at 120,000 miles there is a lot of confidence of the engines reliability.

I suppose a definate friend!!!

• sriches published 28/11/2006
    Thanks for a great review - I am planning on buying a TT in the next 2 months after about 6 months persuading my husband to let me buy myself one!!! I have not taken one out on a test drive yet and cant wait until I do - not too sure about the long journeys as I will have a few Manchester to London trips but will give it a go! Great review - :O)
  • n13roy published 25/07/2006
    Really well written and informative Audi TT review there, I must admit to being let down, when I took one of these out for a test drive, I found it really uncomfortable, with not as much poke as I expected, but it looked stunning.........Roy....
  • lostsworld published 19/07/2006
    a very good review, very good car and a good price too :)