Aviva Car Insurance

Aviva Car Insurance

Review of "Aviva Car Insurance"

published 19/09/2016 | thedevilinme
Member since : 13/05/2008
Ciao made $2,200 profit last year, about $37 bucks a day.
Pro Comp
Cons Not cheap
Price
Service
Efficiency

"The price keeps going up and up!"

My dream car !

My dream car !

As part of a two for one deal we locked in our car insurance with the house insurance on Aviva. We share a car at our house and both insured on the shared driver scheme. It’s an oldish diesel Vauxhall 1.6 Liter haul ass Estate that just about falls inside the cheapish car tax rates before scrapage kicks in. We use it for my mom’s weekend antiques business and my brothers gardening business. It gets banged around a lot with boxes and tools and stuff being thrown in there and as it does a few miles it needs decent insurance.

Last year we got T-Boned by a young Polish girl who had only been driving for a few months. She wasn’t insured like many Eastern Europeans and fortunately her dad owned a garage in Northampton and fixed it up for free. He even fixed the tracking for free as the car frame was slightly bent before the impact and so the car pulling gently to the right. If your chassis isn’t straight it can cause lot of problems down the road, if you can excuse the pun. Either way that mighty prang didn’t go on the insurance and so we kept the no claims open for our next renewal.

As I say we chose Aviva because of the 25% discount on the first year of we matched it with house insurance. They do offer a ‘no claim discount protection’ so that your claim premium will not increase if you do have a crash or incident in your first year. If you take out insurance on the Aviva website you get a 20% discount. I’m not a big fan of comparison sites when looking for a deal as they are quietly owned by insurance companies and obviously push their own products to the top of the search pile, and accept cash from other companies to be placed high on the search lists with them. I just went straight to the websites and looked at deals that way. You then take out your policy on the website by tapping your car model and number plate in and the year and details are generated. You then name your drivers and previous insurance information in the premium calculator. Beware that once you engage with a website by whatever means during your search for a product they can covertly get your phone number through previous online cookies and marry it with your I.P number and search and your phone mysterious rings you up from that particular company. That is the future.

Aviva Guarantees

On average we’re with you in less than 52 minutes to recover you and your car after an accident.

With a discount of up to 60%, you could be well-rewarded for being insured with us over multiple years. 10% of customers with five or more years no claim discount receive maximum 60% saving.****

Named drivers who remain claim free can earn a named driver discount, which will get them money off if they start their own Aviva motor insurance policy.*****

Following a claim we guarantee the quality of repairs for as long as your vehicle is insured with us. A mobile repairer will also be on hand to fix many cosmetic and bodywork claims on cars over 3 years old’.

Once you have purchased your product you can sign into the website to view all of your policies, useful for me. Once you are logged in there are competitions and details of how you can get future discounts. There is decent remote assistance on the website where you can talk to an operator by text messenger online. It beats waiting on the expensive call center phone line. A big saving is to take their ‘Aviva Drive App’, one of those deals where the GPS maps your driving habits and you get money back for agreeing to it, up to £150 off per year, kind of ironic when the police are doing everything to discouraging car drivers mixing phones with driving. But a saving is a saving. Its soon to be six points on your license and a £200 pound fine for texting at the wheel.

We pay around £300 a year insurance and going up every year. Any sort of big smash will make the car a write off so fully comp. There are many reasons why premiums goes up every year as all manner of risk are added to your car these days now that cars and roads are safer and so premiums should be falling. If you are between 17-22-years-old you get hit the most with the young driver premium in that that group mostly likely to be in an accident should pay the most insurance. This is disingenuous as most accidents happen in towns and cities in 20-30 mph zones by all of us. The reason more young people are involved in fatal car crashes as the tiny minority of boy racers that cause 70% of the crashes have more people in the car when they crash than some old pensioner that died due to early on set dementia. We have to aggregate that risk. 10% of all road fatalities are actually pedestrians, often drunk. Crash for Cash hotpots can also drive up your premium, the thing where gangs of certain groups stage an accident on innocent or complicit drivers to fleece third party insurance. Why do we have to pay an extra fifty bucks a year to cover that if we live in Penzance?

So far no problems with Aviva and a good on and offline call center waiting to deal with queries and a simple and slick website to buy your policy. The paper work arrived quickly and cheque option available to pay, if you don’t like online transactions. You can print your policy online on the website. Value wise its makes sense that the same model and details would spin up the same prices with all companies so value comes from switching after one year or staying with the same people for five years or more, and taking the widget.

We have not made a claim with Aviva so cant tell you how that went but those crazy Polish drivers are still out there. If you fib on your application to reduce the premiums beware that police and council number plate recognition systems are on to that. If you want the insurance to pay for itself we have a mate who allows advertising on the side of his car and they pay him £100 a month for the privilege. That pays for fuel, insurance, road tax and MOT.

• jo-1976 published 21/09/2016
    Well reviewed
  • Secre published 21/09/2016
    I got back end shunted by an uninsured and likely fake plate taxi driver in Stoke yesterday. Makes me so mad to think that if I have to claim, my no claims will be hit and my insurance rocket because of a bloody illegal idiot on the roads collecting fares when he isn't even insured to drive. I had to take all the swears out of that sentence. There were quite a few.
  • spanielize published 20/09/2016