lucylu_84 5

lucylu_84

Member since:03.12.2002

sun goddess in a bottle

05.07.2003

Advantages:
good value, impressive coverage, no streaks !

Disadvantages:
self tan is highly addictive !

How intensive is the tanning?

How even is the tanning?

How easily is it absorbed?Average absorbed

How long does it take to see a resultSome time

Value for moneyExcellent

17 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. buylots
  2. Kezziek
  3. supersexycoolchick
  1. pink_champagne
  2. BawBaw
  3. jo1l

As a previous sunbed junkie I found my skin becoming really dry AND the cost of going on a sun bed every week certainly adds up and only being a student I needed to find another way of topping up the tan!

I've always been terrified at the thought of using a fake tanning lotion. We've all heard the stories of women applying it then going out in the good old British weather to have the rain wash it away and leave orange stains all over their "brand new white top". Also, when you walk around town you can always spot the people using fake tan - the David Dickinson lookalikes with an unearthly orange glow in the middle of february.

So it was with great caution that I ordered myself a bottle of Avon's Self Tanning Lotion Spray. I must admit that one of the main reasons I ordered this was because it was on special offer. Two sun products for about a fiver!! Can't argue with that. Anyway, on to the actual product -

I first used the product in the afternoon before a big night out. "OH NO", I hear you cry "Don't wear that new white top!". Well, I had to start somewhere and this seemed as good a time as any!

***APPLICATION***

I applied the lotion at about 3 in the afternoon as it takes about 3/4 hours to properly develop into a golden tan. Application of the product is fairly easy with the spray lotion. I found it best to spray small amounts at a time into my hand and then rub it in all over. You might need to get someone to do your back for you though or you could be left with some strangely disturbing white marks! Anyway, the lotion goes on clear. This in itself is quite a bad thing because some people like a coloured lotion so they can tell where they've applied it. However, i didn't find it a problem as I just started from the bottom of my legs and worked up.

***TOP TIP***

Before applying fake tanning lotion always remember to exfoliate and moisturise your skin so its as smooth as possible. This gives a much more even distribution of colour.

***THE RESULT***

I carried on with my business of getting ready for my night out with the girlies. This usually involves drinking copious amounts of alcohol and applying mascara to my cheeks. As the time passed I didn't see much of a difference in the colour of my skin. However, there was no streaks to speak of so that had to be a good thing! Anyway...the taxi arrived and off I went. Enough of that, to cut a long story short I had loads of comments that night on how brown I was looking and how healthy it made me look (so i was looking ill before?!!!), one person even asked me if i'd been away! Anyway, the photos from the night also showed that I did look very tanned. Although the change is hard to see initially yourself because the colour develops slowly.
Luckily though, the colour is very natural and quite subtle so you won't be spotted in a crowd for being "the one with the fake tan"!

***HOW LONG IT LASTS***

I found that the colour lasts a few days, even after going in the shower etc. It does fade every day but I would guess that if you applied a couple of times a week you'd keep a year long tan that would make even Dale Winton jealous...oohh no thanks! It's not that orange!!

***TOP TIP***

When applying fake tan I often find that I need to do 2 applications on my legs because they're often the palest part. After all, we don't get much chance to bear our legs in this country!

***PACKAGING AND PRICE etc etc***

The spray lotion comes in a 250ml orange bottle with a spray nozzle at the top - my nozzle broke by the way! Which is a pain in the neck because now I have to pour out the lotion which can get messy - i advise the use of towels everywhere! The bottle has Avon written at the top inside a sun shape and "Bronze", "Self Tanning" written underneath. It costs on average £7 from the Avon catalogue but it's often on special offer. It has been the last two times I've bought it. The thick lotion comes in a squeezy bottle - like a sun cream bottle and contains 250ml, this is the same price but i've not used it yet so I can't comment on which one is better!

***FINAL RECOMMENDATION***

I think this is a great product for anyone just starting using fake tan, or an expert for that matter! It's a good quality, good value product with excellent results. I've already put an order in for another spray and a cream lotion! The fake tan comes in 2 colours - "light to medium" and "medium to dark". Don't get too adventurous and use the medium to dark version when you're as pale as a milk bottle, the results could be catastrophic!

On a final note, I hope we experience so much sun this summer that we'll all laugh at even the thought of needing to use fake tan. Ha, fat chance!

Lucy xx

nikki1520 07.07.2003 09:16

I have to use fake tan, as I only burn, peel, return to Daz white! I tend to use the more expensive ones, but I'm tempted to give this a go. Nice to see you back, and I'm sure you did really well in your exams

tracy2002 05.07.2003 19:27

ive seen it in the avon book but im too scared to try but i may well give it a go now!! good op. tracy

wulise 05.07.2003 17:04

I found this a well written opinion. Thank you for the information. Louise