Review of "Avon Foundation Brush"

published 20/12/2011 | xxfoxyredxx
Member since : 01/10/2006
Reviews : 2005
Am currently popping loads of reviews on here from Dooyoo before that site crashes out completely! Happy to read and rate reviews as always....Christmas is a coming for all us all too soon eh! x Melanie x
Satisfactory
Pro Looks nice, works great
Cons Everything else really!
Compatibility with Makeup

"Helping with setting the foundations?"

When it comes to the purchase of make up brushes, well I'm really very fussy about what I buy. I feel as a trained Beauty Therapist your only as good as the tools you use. I mean a painter and decorator rarely does a nice job with cheap paint brushes after-all!

So I own a set of Ruby & Millie, Chilli Pepper and Jemma Kidd brushes all which set me back a small fortune, However I look after them well and they serve me well in return. I'm one of those people that throws out applicators and things that come with sets and prefer my own choices!

However in Avon there was a cosmetic bag that I really wanted. I do carry one around with me in my handbag and mine was looking a bit tatty and in it was a couple of brushes and one was this, the foundation brush.

Now I own 2 foundation brushes already. One is my ever faithful Ruby & Millie one that I simply adore and have been known to throw my bedroom into chaos if I can't find it and the other is a Revlon brush which is like my have to use one if as I have mentioned I can't find my Ruby & Millie one for any reason so another one in my ever growing collection won't hurt was my thinking when I spotted it!

The Packaging:

The brush itself comes in 3 layers of packaging. The outer clear bag tells me it's an Avon Foundation Brush and the contact details are given for Avon (and that's told me in loads of different languages I assume lol). Then the actual brush comes in it's own good quality plastic pouch that simply says Avon on it and is able to do up securely and then when you first open that up and get your brush out it is sealed for protection in yet another piece of see-through plastic which you tear off. I like the fact the brush comes in a pouch making it easy to travel but at end of the day being see-through plastic you really do need to make sure the brush is clean or it's going to get very dirty looking very quickly!

The Brush:

If I'd of bought this brush before using a top branded one, well I'd of loved it I'm sure. About 5 inches of it is the handle with is black, plain and like a soft matt plastic to the touch. Good size, easy to handle and easy to grip due to it being matt plastic. Then there is about an inch of shiny silver and within that then head is attached to it. The head is about an inch and half long, smooth, glossy, orangy hairs, rounded and slightly shaven one side to give a slight point to the centre of it and its a firm feeling brush.

It looks nice and is plain enough however to me it feels really cheap. The handle feels cheap and although it's strong enough and doesn't bend or anything.... I don''t know it just doesn't feel like quality to me. The hairs although reasonably thick really again are not as thick as what I'm used to so again it lacks that quality feel and I don't like being able to see the shaven hairs as again...yep it gives it a slight cheap feel and unpolished look.

Using it though fairs better to be fair to it. It glides smooth on the face due to it's slightly glossy hairs, none poke my skin, irritate it and no hairs flake off either. It absorbs foundation slightly and of course you simply paint your face with it and use the brush to blend which it does do.

Verdict:

Like I said earlier if this was he first brush I ever tried of this type then maybe I would love it......but I don't. It's ok, it's not terrible and it does do a great job with little effort required. This brush (if not on offer) would set you back £8.50 though so it isn't exactly a cheap bit of kit and to me this seriously doesn't warrant that price tag and if you want something like this then I would suggest you go look at the Ruby & Millie Foundation Brush that ok costs about £15.00 but is worth every single penny. This one can get lost, I won't cry over it, I'm just not impressed really!

Only available from Avon.

This review is also posted on Dooyoo under this same username.

• tallulahbang published 20/12/2011
    You'd go into meltdown if you ever used one of the ELF brushes - they're awful! xx