Avon Personal Match Smooth Mineral Make-Up

Avon Personal Match Smooth Mineral Make-Up

Face Make-up - Powder

Review of "Avon Personal Match Smooth Mineral Make-Up"

published 19/06/2009 | magdadh
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Satisfactory
Pro good coverage
Cons pretty much everything else
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Mineral Fad"

I tried several Avon products during the time one of my neighbours was working as a rep and the overall impression I developed was that their products were mid-range, mid-brow - kind of Marks and Spencer of make up, maybe a little bit below Boots own brand in quality.

This product was on a special offer in one of the brochures for £5 and I decided to try it, as I am in the process of renewing my make up stuff (not so much in the sense of getting fresh supplies, but looking for brands/models that suit me now in the middle age after a few years of wearing virtually none).

I was really looking for a face powder but thought that the concept of a powder foundation looked interesting. I expected something half way between powder and foundation in effect.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed. Part of the reason is probably due to the colour I bought (almond) which is too dark for me and nothing like the picture sample. But I often use darker shades of cosmetics for bronzing, or instead of blusher. So I thought I could still utilise the product.

I expected to be able to brush away a powder product at least for a while after application, but it seems to set immediately and sticks. It's virtually impossible to apply in any other way but for full, heavy coverage that gives you this smooth but extremely artificial look.

Most foundations will give you a darker or lighter colour depending on the amount, and allow you to blend the edges smoothly to avoid a "mask" effect. But this make-up almost doesn't blend: it's either there or not, and you can't get a smoothly fading effect. When I tried to do this, the edge became blotchy rather than blended. Also, when I tried to apply less for a lighter coverage the result was the same: a blotchy skin rather than a uniformly smooth, thiner foundation layer.

After wearing it for a while it becomes cakey, not because there is a visible layer of powder on your faces, as it's really quite fine and sets in well, but because any exposure to water or even damp air, as well as touching your face with your fingers show on the surface.

All in all, certainly not for me and judging by the other reviews, not for many other people. If you like complete, full coverage and don't need to blend, adjust or smooth away colours, and if you can find the colour that matches your skin well, it might be worth trying. Otherwise I would definitely give it a miss.

• mumsymary published 21/06/2009
    I do not wear much make up
  • Amy69 published 19/06/2009
    Great review xx
  • melodysparks published 19/06/2009
    I use this and it goes all shiny on me