Awful Auntie - David Walliams

Awful Auntie - David Walliams

Fiction - Children's - ISBN: 0007453604 - ISBN13: 9780007453603

Review of "Awful Auntie - David Walliams"

published 11/08/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
Pro twists and turns and the humour
Cons none
Would you read it again?
Story
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"I think I might want a pet owl too..."

My six year old and I enjoy our bed time reading session and we have been working our way through the David Walliams books. My happiest early memories are of my parents reading to me before I took over voraciously reading to myself at an early age so I am keen to embed some of these memories with my daughter. We alternate between the old and new children's books in our collection and have found some similarities in the style of Walliams vs Dahl books.

Release date and stats
The book hit the shops on 29 September 2014. It has 272 pages in it and is illustrated by Tony Ross.

A bit about
I am not going to give away much of the story line in case you decide you might want to read it yourself.

Stella is a 12 year old girl who lives in a grand house called Saxby Hall. Her parents have disappeared in an accident and she thinks it's her Aunt Alberta is responsible because she wants to inherit the house. The book is set in December 1933 but also feels quite timeless.

A fun fact
In October 2014, four weeks after its publication, Awful Auntie had become the top-selling children's book of the year. In January 2015, the book was confirmed as 2014's best-selling children's book.

Characters
Alongside Stella and Aunt Alberta is the pet owl Wagner, Soot (a chimney sweep) and Gibbons the butler. You will find yourself rooting for little Stella who is a good, honest girl with a warm heart. I was not sure where I stood with Wagner who is Aunt Alberta's loyal pet and he spies on Stella which is very unnerving for her.

My thoughts
This has been a great book to read together. My girl loved it and we were racing through the final chapters to find out what happened in the end. The book is cheeky, humourous and touching in places with a great story underpinning the pages. The chapters are short and easy enough to get through with a good flow and a theme for each section. I took great delight in winding my sister up that Walliams had written a book about her, "awful auntie!" as you can imagine, that went down well.

Extras
The book is illustrated by Tony Ross which is always quite a treat as he is very talented and it helps the non readers to figure out what is happening. The pictures help keep my girl engaged and are entertaining to look at. In his books, Walliams always makes lists and amusing foot notes and there is also a letter of complaint at the back which is funny if you have read other books by David Walliams.

Price and availability
I picked up this particular book from Tesco in a two for £7 offer in Tesco. I don't mind paying this sort of price for a decent read. I would imagine that with the number of copies sold there will be quite a few of these hitting the charity shops soon, as the generation that read it upon release feel too grown up to read it again. I didn't mind reading it as an adult though!!

Final word
I am glad that we read this book together. David Walliam's imagination is fantastic and you really do not know what is going to happen next. He writes with style and in a way that is accessible to children. We got plenty of giggles out of this book and were a bit sad when we got to the end. You can read it out loud with funny voices and especially Soot the chimney sweep who is a little cockney. I always think with children's books "would I read it again?" as it is a sign of a good book if you think you would and I am already stashing it on the bookshelf ready for when my youngest is old enough to read this sort of book together. I would recommend giving this a read if you are an auntie yourself to young kids, get it bought!!

• kiss_me2070 published 14/08/2017

Genre: Children's

Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books

ISBN: 0007453604

Listed on Ciao since: 02/03/2015

Awful Auntie - David Walliams - Review - I think I might want a pet owl too...

beautybuf... 5

beautybuff

About me: Enjoying life, busy working full time and having fun with my family and always on the lookout for new beauty innovations!

Member since:22.03.2014

I think I might want a pet owl too...

11.08.2017

Advantages:
twists and turns and the humour

Disadvantages:
none

Would you read it again?

Story

Readability

How does it compare to similar books?Very good

How does it compare to other works by the same author?Very good

23 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings

A fun fact

My thoughts

Extras

Price and availability
I picked up this particular book from Tesco in a two for 7 offer in Tesco. I don't mind paying this sort of price for a decent read. I would imagine that with the number of copies sold there will be quite a few of these hitting the charity shops soon, as the generation that read it upon release feel too grown up to read it again. I didn't mind reading it as an adult though!!

Final word

« Previous review

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

kiss_me2070 14.08.2017 12:27