Home > Ciao Café > Sport > Ice Hockey > Ayr Scottish Eagles > Reviews

totie 5

totie

Member since:16.01.2003

We're going to be flying high again

01.02.2003

Advantages:
Ice Hockey - a family sport full of excitement

Disadvantages:
None

1 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. christopherj84
  2. quizzeyq
  3. tomhughes78

As a new member to Ciao I was saddened by the fact that no-one had written a report on Ayr Scottish Eagles. Well, maybe that's because this season there was a complete change for the club who had the 'Ayr' part dropped from their title as the whole caboodle was taken to Braehead Arena in Glasgow and away from our beloved Centrum. Don't get me wrong, Braehead was a great arena, easy to get to ..... and for the many female fans there was the attraction of Ikea on the doorstep so a good day out could be had shopping and taking in the hockey!! That, of course comes from a female perspective - perhaps the men looked on this as a disadvantage! However, all the hype about how this was the only way forward for the Eagles came to an abrupt end when Bob Zeller pulled the plug on the team. How this came about is a mystery because the team were starting to gel and had played really well in France, the fans were starting to increase and yet, without any prior warning the team got axed.

A group of hard working people set up a committee to initially find out what went wrong (Friends of Eagles Hockey), raise funds for the players who had been left in financial difficulty and to try and get the Eagles up and running again in the Centrum Arena.

The Centrum is an excellent facility with food, coffee and bars available within the arena. It is easy to get to by road, by rail (with stations at Prestwick Airport and Ayr town centre, the airport is five minutes from the arena and budget airlines fly there....in fact fans from Germany fly in for matches.

Ice Hockey is a brilliant family sport; it is fast and exciting,definitely an all action sport, the speed and skills of the skaters never ceasing to amaze - oh yes they can have their off nights, but who doesn't! - the atmosphere is wonderful, it's loud (well you do have to support your team and cheer them on when winning and lift them up when losing)and the noise of the pucks hitting the plexiglass is something else but what I like most is that it is warm and comfy, I have been able to take my children there without fear of subjecting them to foul language and fighting (the only fights in ice hockey are on the ice!) and the fans are great. All the fans are a really friendly lot and even although you support your own team to the hilt during play there is no animosity between the fans. This is the atmosphere I like to bring my children into. I personally wouldn't go to football or any other spectator sport although I do watch on television so Ice Hockey is something we can do as a family - even now when the boys are 16 and 17 we can still go as a family. The Ayr Scottish Eagles have fans from weeks old to really golden oldies so it's a sport that crosses the age barrier too.

I haven't written about the team or the play for obvious reasons but I can encourage you to come along to a hockey match and experience it for yourself. I didn't know anything about hockey as my family dragged me off screaming and yelling to my first match - but I quickly picked up what it was all about and was soon screaming and yelling for different reasons. Don't knock it till you've tried it is the motto here.

It is hoped to bring hockey back to the Centrum for the 2003/2004 season and the only thing to stop it is
if the Centrum Arena doesn't get funding to enable it to operate profitably as an all year round facility.
It is the desire of the nearly two thousand regular fans of the Eagles that once more we'll be able to sing our song 'We're Flying High'.

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

christopherj84 14.05.2003 12:13

I hope you return in some form sooner rather than later, Chris.

quizzeyq 01.02.2003 20:55

Great first op, Welcome to Ciao x

tomhughes78 01.02.2003 20:08

excellent first opinion, welcome to ciao! tom