BBC1 - Eastenders

BBC1 - Eastenders

Review of "BBC1 - Eastenders"

published 22/05/2001 | spankygoodtime
Member since : 27/04/2001
Pro Escapist fun
Cons Having to miss it sometimes
How does it compare to similar programmes?
How good is the story?
Is it dramatic?
How good are the characters?
How do you rate the overall style and design?

"Sharon is back"

I have been watching this soap on and off since its beginning 15 years ago, although I missed it for long periods when I was backpacking. Then again when I was in Australia I had the pleasure of seeing my favourite old episodes, and telling my colleagues at work what was going to happen.

In the time it has been running, I think this soap must have featured every subject under the sun that is possible, murder… homosexuality… kidnapping… rape… infidelity… euthanasia… stalking… and for the first time that I can remember (I stand to be corrected on this) hinted at threesome/fetishes. (Episode broadcast 17/05/01) It is a shame that the scriptwriter could not have done more on this scene, but we know the constraints the BBC have at this hour of the evening. *grin* The sight of Kat’s face last week when she realised that the “small” party she had been invited to was for more than two, cracked me up.

There are many more mundane issues too that frequently affect us all, and I think almost every year there is an argument over where various characters are going to spend Christmas and New Year. When there is a wedding or party… who is coming or not… where it is going to be… will the bride or groom even go through with it! When they get a divorce or leave their partners, (and they all do) plots concerning access to children both for parents and grandparents mirror everyday happenings in the real world.

I think my favourite characters of all time in the series had to have been Den and Angie. Den was an evil, cheating scumbag and his wife Angie was scheming and manipulative. Like many people I know in fact. My current favourite has to be Peggy. What a clever piece of casting, an actress famous for her boobs being cast as a lady faced with a mastectomy. An indomitable mum, she rules her thuggish, Neanderthal sons with a rod of iron although she does not always get her own way. I am looking forward to seeing her cross swords with Sharon when she comes back this week.

Now of course this soap is not true to life in a number of ways. The language is too clean for one thing. Real people in the kind of situations that these people get into would let rip. However I heard the word “Slapper” for the first time on this programme. I wonder if this word was in existence already and the BBC slipped it in, or did the word get invented by an Eastenders scriptwriter? Anyone know?

Very few of the people on Eastenders smoke, which I think does not make some of the characters believable. I can see Kat with a fag hanging out of her mouth at all times. I have seldom seen the brand of beer or alcohol that is being sold or drunk in The Vic and they never ask for a beer brand by name, but the BBC is constrained by the laws on advertising as we all know.

Believable or not, I watch Eastenders avidly whenever I can. As I am working in the evenings this week I will be videoing it, because Sharon is coming back into it and "Sharongate" is my favourite episode. I don't know how people can knock the acting on soaps. The sight of Grant's tears as he listened to Sharon talking about sleeping with Phil on that tape was heartbreaking.

Long live Eastenders, it's a British institution!!!

• Amy69 published 10/11/2008
    Sharongate = <3 xx
  • Cazz published 26/05/2001
    Hear Hear! Woss going on? Eh?
  • LostWitness published 24/05/2001
    I'd be a liar if I said I didn't watch this regularly, but I do find most of the characters intensely irritating. I like the fact that Sharon's coming back - it would be a real coup if Angie came back as well! :)

Product Information : BBC1 - Eastenders