BBC Radio 1

Pro Mark and Lard, Chris Moyles
Cons Sara Cox
Quality of reception
Quality of programming
How good are the presenters?
Quality of information
Range of programming

"Stop....carry on with Radio 1"

Listening to Radio 1 generally gives me a couple of laugh out loud moments every day as well as a chance to dance around like a mad women. Since my son was born I have been around the house a lot more during the day. I listen to the Radio whilst giving him his breakfast, we have a sing and a dance whilst tidying up in the morning and we have it in the lounge when Harvey is playing with his toys. Basically it is on all day.
I can't really comment on the evening schedule since as soon as Harvey is in bed I tend to turn it off and enjoy the peace and quite.

The playlist is fairly limited. They tend to play a lot of chart RnB and garage (such as Destinys Child, Miss E Elliot, the Gorillaz), indie/rock(stereophonics, travis, coldplay) and a little of the more mainstream pop ( S Club 7, gabrielle, Hearsay). Actually I think I have just listed their playlist for the past couple of months. BUT the presenters are the stars. The line up goes like this:

7am - 10am. Sara Cox. Very annoying woman who likes to bore us with how out of it she was the night before. Her affected voice grates and I cannot bear to listen to her. She is the on fly in the ointment.

10am - 1pm. Namone currently standing in for Jo Whiley who is away having her baby. Both nice and down to earth. They seem to know their stuff and just get on with it. The main bits of the show are listener quizzes about music.

1pm - 3pm. Mark and Lard. Very funny blokes. They present the show from Manchester and are very un-showbiz. The jokes are the same every day but they just get funnier.

3pm - 5.45pm. Chris Moyles et al. Another northener who I initially thought was a sexist, ignorant slob. But I was wrong. He takes a bit of getting used to but he doesn't take himself too seriously and I don't think he expects other people to either.

After that I turn off though I'm sure the more specialised evening shows are good. John Peel is a living legend after all.
The weekend days seem to be mostly dedicated to RnB and Garage with the Dream Team (funny blokes and good music) and Trevor Nelson.

If you are within earshot of a radio during the day and you have any interest in popular music you should definitely tune in. Although the playlist is limited it is enjoyable and there is occasionally a pleasant suprise.

• lilly2006 published 30/01/2006
    bit out of date now
  • Excelle published 03/07/2001
    I haven't listened to Radio 1 for ages, I prefer to listen to my local stations which have more of a variety of playlist... Great op though!
  • baddog published 03/07/2001
    I think your first impression of Chris Moyles was the correct one. Together with his syncophant, the most mis-named man in history, 'Comedy' Dave, he has me retching for the 'off' button. And that is not a mis-spelling. Cheers.

Product Information : BBC Radio 1