Review of "BBC Radio 1"

published 14/07/2001 | RuthHolohan
Member since : 10/07/2001
Pro Entertaining chat, cheesy tunes.
Cons chat and tunes if they are not your scene!
Quality of reception
Quality of programming
How good are the presenters?
Quality of information
Range of programming

"Mark and Lard, and Chris Moyles."

Now I can't claim to be an expert on what happens on Radio 1 in the evening, but while I'm at work this station keeps me sane (and awake!).

Mark and the boy Lard (aka Northerners Mark Radcliffe and Marc Riley) host the Mark and Lard show between 1pm and 3pm, which is an entertaining blend of chat, games and cheesy tunes. You always know where you are with Mark and Lard as they follow the same format every day although they introduce new features from time to time. My all-time favourite has to be the 'One Man and his Frog' frogging (only during season and sponsored by Canesten and formally anusol, based on the sheepdog trials but with frogs instead of dogs) but other entertaining concepts are Slim and Shady (the squirrels, based on a childrens story but far more crude) and Wheel of Misfortune. Fat Harry White is sadly missed by many I'm sure (although his stories are apt to offend any American tourists in my shop who do not understand that its all quite innocent, honest!), as is the catch phrase 'big up junglist respec in da area' - a classic, I know you'll agree.

Mark and Lard's intention is to 'keep skinning the competition ALIVE' and also to 'keep flogging the catchphrases TO DEATH' and I think they do this very well, although I believe that their particular brand of humour can only be truly understood by the Northerners amongst us. Thats what my southern friends tell me anyway!

Chris Moyles hosts the Chris Moyles show from 3-5.45pm in the week and on a Saturday morning, ably assisted by 'comedy' Dave Vitty and various producers (Mainly 'Grey-head') and random guests. This show also has a selection of regular features such as 'Hello I'm listening' (where if Chris rings you, you have to answer the phone with 'Hello i'm listening') and 'Midday chocolate Money' on a Saturday (a la Richard and Judy). The show appears to be largely ad-libbed and Chris often goes into a rant about something which can be quite annoying, but on the whole I particularly enjoy the Chris Moyles show because Chris can be VERY funny in places. His interaction with the newsreaders is usually good for a laugh, and his commentry on Big Brother or the other burning issues of the day keeps me up to date.

On the whole, Radio 1 in the afternoon is very entertaining if you like cheesy music, condensed news and quite a lot of chat. I know they play the same songs all the time and I know that the amount of talking annoys some people but its great background for the sports shop where I work and it truly gets me through the afternoon.

• deltawise published 23/08/2001
    Mark and Lard especially, but also Moyles goes over a lot of peoples heads. But thats the great contrast, crap music, made to sound cool, by talented broadcasters. More power to them. I was going to review this, but the rest of the stations programmes are crap, and I far prefer London live BBCs station for london (london's best kept secret), 94.9FM. Anyway, biddly biddly bong.
  • polli published 09/08/2001
    I have to say, I can't stand Mark and Lard (or most or Radio 1 for that matter) mainly due to the music that is played and the fact that their play list seems to consist of about 10 different songs as you said. Anyway, a good op, nice to know someone else has to suffer it at work, :) polli
  • kleft published 04/08/2001
    The show cetainly kept me entertained this am at work. Great op. R :)

offers "BBC Radio 1"