Review of "BBC Radio 2"

Pro Constant and varied entertainment
Cons 50 yards of bad reception through the Mersey Tunnel
Quality of reception
Quality of programming
How good are the presenters?
Quality of information
Range of programming

"Am I getting Old or is music getting younger"

Maybe I've just reached that age, but when you consider that BBC Radio 2 has been rated by 95% of Ciao Authors, who am I to argue. Not only the most listened to radio station in the UK, but recent winners of the Sony award for best radio station, Radio 2 offers a wide and diverse cross section of entertainment.

Where can I begin in order to explain the attraction of what used to be considered the station of the aged and infirm (unless I have become aged and infirm without my family telling me)?

Music we all remember - whether you're in your 'teens or your 'ties, there is something for everyone. My four kids range from 4 to 13, the four year old sings along to all the jingles whilst the teenage element enjoy the comedy elements and also get to hear the original versions of songs they thought were new! Lets face it, the current Number One single in the UK is currently Gerri Halliwells version of 'It's Raining Men', a hit for The Weathergirls almost 20 years ago!

If your tastes are narrower, there is always something to suit, classical for those classically minded, blues for those suffering terminal bluesiness (I am a blues fanatic, check out Pual Jones on Radio 2), Folk for those who enjoy Arron Sweaters and fingers in their ears, Country and Western for those who enjoy dressing up...

...the list is endless and ever-varied, whenever I switch on my radio I tune to Radio 2 whether its 2:00 in the afternoon or morning - I regularly drive home with the company of Bob Harris or Lynn Parsons.

I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

In summary, Radio Two is the best - Listen to it and form your own opinion, I think you might agree.

• mikeydred published 22/05/2001
    Another excellent op. There's nowt you can do abot getting old, but the music on Radio is quite a bit better than when I was a kid. Mike
  • Ladychatterbox published 14/05/2001
    I have to say I thought my hubby was getting old before his time listening too radio 2, until I listened - it's really good and doesn't deserve the stick that it gets - a well written op :-), I am quite glad that I don't live near the Mersey tunnel - the reception here is good
  • Manx published 14/05/2001
    You're not the only one to think like this. Radio 2 has been revamping itself... and, as a result, stealing listeners from Radio 1. Radio 1 is stuck between being naff and appealing to the British public (who one assumes must be naff) or playing a less popstatic collection of tunes, getting some cred but loosing some of the teenybopper audience. All credit to Radio 2 for doing what Radio 1 is failing to do.

offers "BBC Radio 2"