BBC Radio 4

BBC Radio 4

Review of "BBC Radio 4"

published 20/08/2000 | jennysue
Member since : 26/07/2000
I live in Langstone, which is between Havant,Hants & the bridge to Hayling Island. I'm divorced & would describe myself as an Internet entrepreneur.
Pro Something for everyone
Cons Bad choice of programmes for the 6.30pm weekday slots
Quality of reception
Quality of programming
How good are the presenters?
Quality of information
Range of programming

"Mostly excellent"

I have been a Radio 4 listener for over 25 years, and it has changed to keep up with the times, mostly for the good.

However, I have a few moans. One is the scriptwriters for the Archers, who have, over the past couple of years almost destroyed the program with poor storylines.

The other gripe is the 6.30pm slot. Once upon a time, the programmes that went out at 12.25pm lunchtime slot were all repeated later in the day. I happen to particularly like general knowledge quizzes, but they have been systematically weeded out of the peak evening spot to be replaced with some of the most pathetic 'comedy' programmes I have ever heard.

Dead Ringers is the only new one that is remotely amusing, and even that doesn't warrant a second series.

However, the accolades have to go to John Peel for Home Truths. There is always something in there to amuse, hearten, and if it makes you angry, it's because the programme has highlighted some injustice in the world.

I wish I knew how to tell younger people that Radio 4 has something for everyone and to give it a try. Recently even my favourite sport of sailing was featured, although the programming timing made absolutely no sense whatever - 11.30am on a weekday. Now that would have been excellent material for the 6.30 Friday slot when many of us are in our cars, maybe with boats in tow and heading for a weekend on the water.

offers "BBC Radio 4"