BBC Radio 4

BBC Radio 4

Review of "BBC Radio 4"

published 17/08/2001 | ayanayuk
Member since : 16/08/2001
Pro Interesting, informative and very entertaining.
Cons Occasionally you do need a bit of music.
Quality of reception
Quality of programming
How good are the presenters?
Quality of information
Range of programming

"Radio 4 me"

Most of my life I had listened to stations that dole out the same cheesy chart tunes, but not any more. I've seen the light (well OK heard Charlotte Green and Brian Perkins), and have converted to 'speech radio'

This conversion started when I moved in with three friends acouple of years ago. We were all students, and one of us (my best friend) had been brought up on a steady dose of Radio 4. I thought R4 was totally dull and there were frequent jibes about the stations having to change to R4 from Cheesy FM and vice versa.

One day whilst cooking lunch I decided to flick on the radio and it was on R4, about half way through the news. I decided not to turn over instantly and at the end of lunch realised that I'd sat through and episode of the Archers (which was pretty confusing but entertaining) and some nature program (also interesting). I shuddered and switched to Cheesy FM.

It happened again a few weeks later, with the same result, but I seemed to be finding myself enjoying the mixture of general knowledge and plays (not to mention the brilliant comedies) and the entertainment it was giving me. I couldn't resist any more. I turned my back on my life of sin and cast out the demons known as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Ricky Martin and became one with the spoken word. Okay it wasn't as religious or as dramatic as that, I simply stopped changing over.

The great thing about R4 is that whenever you switch on there is usually something that you can pick up even half way through the program. Rarely is it uninteresting and you will usually listen intently.

The hightlights of most days have to be John Humphrys tearing the subjects of his interviews into small shreds and feeding them to the lions, Brian Perkins reading the news and telling you that the greatest thing in the universe had happened yet making it sound like the world is about to end, the Archers (yes I know it's sad but the theme music is so catchy) and Charlotte Green reading the shipping forecast. But maybe I'm odd.

Where would we be without the cheesy music at the beginning and the end of the day where R4 turns into World Service. Their practically an institution.

If you're sick of pap and want some stimulating listening then I recommend Radio 4.

• bwanamdevu published 17/08/2001