Review of "BIC Normal Skin Razor"

published 18/02/2003 | sandrabarber
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Cheap
Cons Life-threatening
Quality of shave
Durability of the razor
Durability of the blades

"Aaaaaargh"

I ran out of my usual Gillette Agilite razors the other evening and, too lazy to get in the car and drive to the supermarket, I nipped down to the corner shop instead. No Agilites. No special ‘women’s razors’ (though I really don’t imagine that matters) of any kind. Just the familiar bright orange Bics in packs of 10.

I didn’t want 10, I just wanted one as a stopgap until I went to the supermarket, but 10 I had to have. However, at under £1.20 for said 10, I couldn’t really complain. If I didn’t like them, I could throw them away without having broken the bank. And if I did like them, well, wehey, bargain!

I used my Bic on wet legs with one week’s hair growth, smothered in a generous helping of good quality moisturising shave gel.

Looks: Bic razors look like what they are: cheap. No frills whatsoever. Just a single blade in a rigid orange plastic razor. No swivelling, bending, adjusting allowed.

Handling: Being no frills, Bic razors have no corrugated/knobbly/rubberised bits to make it easier to grip them or less slippy, but on the other hand they’re not difficult to handle either.

Shave Quality: Quality is not a word to associate with Bic razors. Despite all my best efforts - and I’m pretty good at shaving my legs, having been doing it for over 20 years - I was left with part-bald, part-stubbly, part-positively-tufty pins.

Anything Else?

Yes. AAAAAAARGH!!!!!! Blood. Pain. Rash.

The skin on my poor beleaguered legs literally had HOLES in it. Whole CHUNKS had been removed from my ankles and knees.

Blood was pouring down my poor old pins like there was no tomorrow.

I was in AGONY.

My calves came out in a horrible sore, itchy rash.

Three days later my legs are still sore and itchy. They still have the rash. They also have scabs.

Verdict:

Never, ever use Bic razors, no matter how much you don’t want to drive to the supermarket.

• TheChocolateLady published 05/03/2003
    Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, OW! Boy, am I ever lucky that I'm one of those hair-less ladies that doesn't need to shave her legs (and no, I don't do my pits, either. Dispise me, if you wish). But I remember the one time I did and... ow, ow!
  • Ophelia published 26/02/2003
    You are right - these are b*ll*cks!
  • 29th_Candidate published 24/02/2003
    "[Glideability: Bic razors do not glide. Bic razors move over your skin like a car with the handbrake on. They jolt, they strain, they drag, they almost squeal as they make their potentially life-threatening way around your body."] Wonderful, sandra-- Your "car/handbrake" simile is a scream. You could even have extended this into a full-blown allegory. I'm sorry the BIC left your legs looking like roadkill. I suppose that's what you'd expect when you let a mechanically defective car drives around on distractingly curvy, cliff-side roads. --29th