B&Q Flooring

Review of "B&Q Flooring"

published 02/04/2004 | vampit
Member since : 25/03/2004
Pro Easy Clean, Warm, Looks Good
Cons Size Of Roll, Cutting Strait Edges!

"B&Q Chequer Plate Lino laying"

Ok we like the look of silver metal sheets of chequer plate ( the silver metal reinforcing stuff that goes on office stairs and floors in trendy cyber bars) as we were going for a dark blue and silver theam but having found out how expencive it would be we decided to look at somthing different.
In B&Q we found silver lino in this patten they had the 2metre roll in but it also comes in 3 and 4 mtr rolls. It is £7.99 a sq metre so making a few rough drawing to work out how much we could use laying and cutting it in different ways we decides that with a bit of patching we needed 6mtr of it (still cheaper than metal!). This lino was in their heavy wearing range which means it has got quite a thick back on it, some of the normal lino there felt very thin -like it would wear and damage quickly but this felt good and thick.
So double sided tape in hand off i go.
We had pulled up the carpet already, screwed down those few loose floor boards and layed some sheets of hardboard (the lino must have a smooth surface underneath or quickly the uneven boards will mark and come through even thick lino) down.
I worked out exactly which directions I was going to cut it first and re checked it several times before i wasted the lot!
Moving the lino around and measuring it on my own was easy enough and it can be easyly cut with a SHARP stanley knife but you will need a long metal rule etc to cut along as cutting it straite is the hardest thing and if the edges arn't perfectly straite any joins wont fit properly and even half a millimetre gaps are easy to notice once the floor is layed (as the backing to the floor is white {but I cheated and used a metalic silver ink pen to hide these}).
I found it easyer to put the backing tape down as i went along attaching it to the floor then the lino (I dont know if this is the correct way but it worked well for me).
The floor layed realy well and only took 2-3hrs including fiddly bits, and it looks really good, its warm underfoot and is easy to clean (wipes clean). I was worryed about things digging into it but even the indents that me (13stone) sitting on my computer chair for hours in the evening soon spring back out. Only more time will tell.
So all in all well worth it.

• memnoch published 06/04/2004
    agree with the spelling probs but otherwise helpfulre view
  • Fruity_Tart published 02/04/2004
    We got the silver lino with metallic purple spots for the kitchen from B & Q and it doesn't sound half as good as this one, I moved the cooker out yesterday to scrub behind it and it's left deep dents in the lino that look like they might break through. It's always worth running your work through a spellchecker before posting. :O) Chris x
  • emilyo published 02/04/2004
    Good review, agree with Paul below about typing errors. I have this problem too so I always write my reviews in Word and paste them over. Also it would look more pleasing to the eye and flow easier if you had spacing between paragraphs, hope this advice helps you with your next one honey, Em XX