Review of "Baby Metal (2015) - Baby Metal"

published 21/04/2017 | CGholy
Member since : 17/06/2010
Points until Bronze : 14995
Pro Exciting, fresh, unique and entertaining
Cons Not everyone's cup of tea
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"A Future Classic"

Even though my days of Dooyoo and Ciao are long over, my passion for writing and music never left. Dooyoo's decision to stop paying for reviews kinda caused me to stop writing reviews for a while, but I still liked writing other stuff and listening to music. I've started travelling more now. One of the places that I went to was Japan.

Babymetal have been around in 2010. They were sub unit from an idol group called Sakura Gakuin (Cherry Blossom Academy) they graduated and Babymetal started fleshing out on thier own too feet later on. Whilst I don't understand how idol groups work, I've always found their blends of genres interesting.

I've seen some bands try to cash in on Babymetal's blend of bubbly pop and heavy metal which is now known as Kawaii metal, but no other kawaii metal captures my imagination more than Babymetal.

I saw them in Wembley last year and I enjoyed their performance. They really pulled off a magical show. Everything was spot on from the vocalists, dancing and the music itself. I will always have fond memories of this album because it takes me pack to my time in HMV in Ikebukuro, Tokyo.

I bought this record in that store. I've always enjoyed a lot of shows, books and music that have originated from Japan but this was the album that made me want to study Japanese. I can only write basic sentences but I hope to be fluent one day.

To put it bluntly this album is fantastic. It's full of catchy tunes that get stuck to your head. While some of the lyrics and themes sound silly at first, there are some other quite mature tracks on here. It's the randomess of the album that I find entertaining. Whilst I've listened to the album many times, it hasn't lost it's appeal and unpredictableness.

The album opens with Babymetal death. It has a very dark and eerie atmosphere and when the guitars kick in it sets my heart racing. The golden trio also introduce themselves as Su-Metal, Yuimetal and Maometal. Three adorable young girls dressed in black armour and a red tutu.

One thing worth noting about this album is it's rapid pace as shown in Megistune, Uki Uki Midnight, Catch Me If You Can and Headbanger. Even ballads like Akatsuki, Ijime Dame Zettai have a very strong pace.

Megistune is very well recieved: and it's for a good reason. Powerful imagery in it's themes of female enpowerment and comparing them to vixens. The music itself makes me feel like I've been warped into a video game with my armour ready to battle the system.

Ijime Dame Zettai (translates to No More Bullying) is another strong hit of theirs and a very upbeat tune. It gives message of hope. It's this track that showed me that they were much more than just a gimmick.

And I have a very interesting story with Gimme Chocolate. It's one of their biggest hits and most likely one of the ones that many people will have first listened to. It's silly, quick but so catchy. While I think they have a lot of better songs, I will forever link it to the time I got drunk at the karaoke bar and belted this tune out.

Babymetal is an album that brings elements of two very different types of pop and metal and brought it together to form a new music trend. I hope that Babymetal will release more albums in the future because I would love to see them live again.

• Nymphypig published 26/07/2017
    I'm a huge Babymetal fan!
  • kiss_me2070 published 24/04/2017