The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
* ~ * MY HAIR * ~ * I have always had fine hair which often looks very flat and I don't find it easy trying to get volume and lift in my hair. I have used a range of different mousses, sprays and other hair products to try and create some volume into my hair, and although I manage to get some, I don't get much and it often falls flat after a few hours. I have used products from Boots and have even purchased more expensive products from hair salon's to see if their products are any better. I don't mind my hair looking a little flatter during the day, how-ever when I go out in the evening or a night out on the town I like my hair to have more body and volume to it. After spending silly amounts on different hair products for my hair I thought I would buy the Babyliss Big Hair. I saw this advertise on television before Christmas, and was hoping it may be on special offer or reduced at some point, how-ever it wasn't so due to all my spending over Christmas I decided to buy it in January.
* ~ * THE PRODUCT * ~ * The product is made by Babyliss, whom I am sure many of you have heard of it. They make a large range of electrical products for men and woman, including hair straighteners, dryers, hair clippers and more. Their products can be found in stores such as Boots, Superdrug and Argos stores, prices for their products do vary. The product comes in a black box on the box you can read information about the product and what it claims to do. Inside the box in an instruction book and the main product which is the big hair styler. The product itself looks like a big brush, how-ever there's more to it than this. The styler has a large ceramic barrel with soft bristles that rotate in 2 different directions, which gives your hair volume, shine and smoothness. It also has Ionic technology which gives a frizz free finish. The product also has 2 different heat settings and a cool shot. With the product you also get a 3 year guarantee. So what does the product claim to do? Big hair from Babyliss gives you big hair that's shiny, sexy and fabulous. When it comes to fashion the bigger the better and Babyliss Big Hair will give you the fashionable and trendy look. The rotating barrel claims to gives your hair volume whilst the soft bristles will leave your hair feeling shiny, soft and smooth. The product sounded amazing, but would it really do all of this to my hair which is always flat and lacks volume? I would find out very soon.
* ~ * PRICE/AVALIABILITY * ~ * You can buy this from stores such as Boots, Superdrug and Argos. I purchased mine from Boots so I could collect points and the product cost me £45.99. Prices may vary in different stores, and you may be able to find this cheaper to buy online.
TREsemme also do a similar styler to this, which is £25.49 from boots, how-ever I don't know how good this is compared to the Babyliss one.
* ~ * USING THE PRODUCT * ~ * The product is to be used on damp or nearly dry hair only, and cannot be used on totally dried hair. I was a little nervous about using this, as I was worried my hair was going to get into a tangled mess and that I would have to cut my hair free from the product. I did read the small instruction book that came with the product and this is a good idea, as it will tell you how to use the product and it also gives you some tips and other advice to create maximum volume in your hair. The switch on the product can go onto 3 different positions, one of these is just a cool setting and the other 2 are heat settings. When I switched the product on, it just sounded like a hair dryer, but a little quieter and I could feel the cool air coming from brush. I played around with the button's which rotate the big brush and got used to which button's rotate the brush the different ways, obviously the brush twists clock-wise and anti-clock-wise. I sectioned my damp hair and got ready to use the product. Before pressing the rotation buttons I moved the brush through my hair to ensure there were no knots or tangles in it. I then moved the switch up to the low heat setting and placed the brush at the roots of my hair and pressed the rotate button as I moved the brush through to the end of my hair and back again to the roots. I then released my hair from the brush and continued to do this for the rest of my hair. Once I had used the brush a few times, it was quite easy to get the hang of it. After I finished my hair, I stood back and looked in the mirror to see how my hair looked. After using the product you need to place the cover over the brush to protect the bristles.
* ~ * RESULTS * ~ * I stood back in the mirror and was surprised to see volume in my hair, there was not only volume but my hair looked a different style with the end's curling underneath and around my face. I wasn't too sure about the curls in the end of the hair at first but then I grew to like it. I had more volume in my hair then when I normally used products such as mousse and other spray's. My hair not only had volume but it looked shiny and felt smooth, also an added bonus was that there was no frizz to my hair either. After drying my hair sometimes I often get wispy hairs on the top of my head, how-ever after using the product I didn't have any. I have shoulder length hair so after using the product because it gave my hair so much volume it did make my hair look a few inches shorter, how-ever this didn't bother me at all. I put a little hair-spray in my hair to hold the style and then set out for the town. My hair style stayed all night and I still had volume in my hair at the end of the night. The volume is certainly long lasting and hold's very well (the hair-spray probably helped this a little!).
* ~ * OVERALL OPINION * ~ * This product gave my hair fantastic volume and shine to it. It also made my hair look and feel much smoother and softer, then when using a normal dryer to dry my hair. The brush glided through my hair easily, and although I was afraid my hair may get tangled in the brush, this hasn't happened once since using the product. The bristles look stiff but glide through the hair smoothly, creating shine as it goes. It may take a while to get used to the button's which are used to rotate the brush as you have to make sure you rotate the brush head the correct way to ensure you get maximum volume. I found it a good idea to also apply some mousse to your hair as well, which helps even more to create volume and it helps to hold it in place as well. When using the brush on the cool setting the item won't allow you to rotate the brush head. If you have flat hair, big hair is the perfect styling product and is easier to use than you think. I give this product 5 gold, sparkly stars!
For more information about the products and hints and tips you can visit their website: http://www.babyliss.co.uk/stylers_2775u.html
I've not seen these before. My hair is probably too short to benefit from it, though. It sounds like a great product.
candzjay 16.01.2012 21:31
couldn't agree more- awesome product! x
Amazingwoo 16.01.2012 09:15
I was toying with buying this for my Gran - she's one of those people who simply cannot dry her hair using a dryer and brush, and instead just rough dries it....and complains it's always flat (!). It's a definate consideration for her Birthday gift.